• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

I believe Wizard was blown in during the 11/12 season, although not until February. I do know that it cost a fortune with the old leaky system and the length of the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JoeB-Z

Great job. Admitted the rain made the skiing fairly crummy in general. However it was remarkable to see all the new people and they were really having fun. Importantly, the place was jumping and no doubt making money. The whales on Talisman made my week. Really fun skiing. An amazing amount of snow was put down and I hope to hit it again tomorrow afternoon.

slatham

I believe Wizard was blown in during the 11/12 season, although not until February. I do know that it cost a fortune with the old leaky system and the length of the trail.

Yes, while I can't recall the year I do recall Wizard seeing snowmaking back in the Jim Sullivan era.

Sorcerer I believe never in the post close era, though there had been rumors/plans....

WoodCore

I don't think DW got up to patch the Sorcerer leaks and cut the brush back until summer 2016/2017? Pretty sure the guns haven't run post close although I do have a distant foggy memory of skiing the Sorcerer with full blown man-made cover, just can't remember if it was pre or post close.

JoeB-Z

Talisman was so nice today. Complete coverage and very consistent. A testament to snow making strategy and grooming given New Years Day rain. Not a spec of ice (unlike the rinklike chute on Wizard on the way down). In some ways it is good if the chute is all ice because I don't feel guilty side slipping a bit. Sharp edges helped but it was great today.

Congrats Do Work. Can't wait for Sorceror.

urungus

According to new post on Magic’s Facebook page, there will be a “Launch Party” for the Green Chair Saturday at 1pm.

drjeff

A little less liquid falling from the sky in the morning wouldn't of been a bad topper! I was across the valley at Bromley for a race with my daughter, and was mighty happy for full on Gore-tex this morning for sure!

Awesome accomplishment by Magic to get the Green spinning!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

JoeB-Z

Fireworks, free booze, soft snow ,and new lifts. Not a bad day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using AlpineZone mobile app

And Talisman was like ice cream. The management and grooming of that slope this week was amazing. It will even be good tomorrow when I suppose it freezes up a bit. Enjoyed my first ride up Green. Green Line is not a secret anymore!

Do Work

DW when is the last time Wizard has seen snow made on it T2B?

Do you ever foresee repairing/using (forgot what you said the deal with that line was) Witch to Black in lean snow years?

Not that long ago. That line is utilized for everything we put on the West side, so the pipe itself is in fine shape. We will likely make snow there after Sorcerer.

Witch to Black is also functional as per a line test we ran last season, but it is a hard place to make snow in. Tough terrain and lots of things in line before we try to go there but yes, we would love to make that statement and show off that capability- which this is a big year for proving our abilities to everyone for sure. This mountain can be so much more reliable than it's reputation would indicate, and we hope to earn more season pass holders going forward because of that. I think we've done a good job of ushering in the new era of Magic, but the more "firsts" we can pile on the better IMO. Witch to Black would be a game changer!

Do Work

Sorc has not been run since closing successfully. The one time it was attempted (before our new system/controls were installed) it was blown up, and we just finished fixing it a few weeks ago iirc. I am really looking forward to Sorc being blown in, as those bumps will get HUGE and we plan to go half moguls/half groomed for the best of both worlds over there.

Love hearing all the positive feedback, everyone has been working themselves ragged to make it happen, and nothing comes easy here. So happy to know that people are seeing it all and enjoying the fruits of all these projects, and we are just warming up! Cheers!!

RustyGroomer

Thread once again needs some pics. Sleeper day today. Sleeper weekend really.

Skiing was good then this..

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 207
  • zzz1.jpg
    zzz1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 205
  • zzz3.jpg
    zzz3.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 207
  • zzz2.jpg
    zzz2.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 206
  • zzz6.jpg
    zzz6.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 206
DoWork, what's on tap for snowmaking during the coming cold snap? My guess is east side repairs followed by Sorcerer than Wizard? Any interesting little trial count boosters (e.g., Bailout to link, Trudy’s, Betwixt?)

I assume that would all take a week plus and mother nature may beat you to it, interested in the plan nonetheless.

Great job can't wait to ride green this weekend!

NYDB

I think with green running after east side touch ups they want to blow in lower magic carpet and bury the water bars before they head west

per snow report

Tuesday is too warm for snowmaking but that will resume on Wednesday as we look to blow in Lower Magic Carpet off the new Green Chair for the weekend as well as reinforce Carumba, lower Red Line and Show Off.

ShadyGrove

Green chair! What are we talking about the green chair for? That's so last weekend.

It's now time to start whining about when the new Black chair will be installed. Yeah, like every single weekend making sure to track down JM and DW and ask them how's it going?, when is the permit going to be signed?, what's the exact route of the chair?, didn't they buy it last summer so why isn't it already installed?, will the red line run when the black is running, is it a detachable?, and such.

Get with the times, man.

Do Work

Green chair! What are we talking about the green chair for? That's so last weekend.

It's now time to start whining about when the new Black chair will be installed. Yeah, like every single weekend making sure to track down JM and DW and ask them how's it going?, when is the permit going to be signed?, what's the exact route of the chair?, didn't they buy it last summer so why isn't it already installed?, will the red line run when the black is running, is it a detachable?, and such.

Get with the times, man.

I seriously wish that wasn't my life in a nutshell but it is.

slatham

Get with the times, man.

Ha, so funny and so right. I am definitely an offender, but I do try to pay for my harassment!

But the immediate question as it relates to lifts is when does the old Black Lift spin?

KustyTheKlown

Thread once again needs some pics. Sleeper day today. Sleeper weekend really.

Skiing was good then this..

nice. saw those on facebook. are those all talisman with the man-made?

thinking about magic this weekend if the terrain is gonna be wide open again

RustyGroomer

Talisman & East side cruisers late in the day once the snow started adding up. Just enough to make a fun day even better. All pics were late Sunday. Had the place to ourselves.