• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Is poaching OK (as in everybody does it, no repercussions) at Magic? It sounds like the answer is yes, which is good to know. My friends and I are excited to check out Magic for the first time tomorrow.

NO. There may be some confusion as in the past, under prior ownership, Magic did not open terrain quickly and poaching was common due to necessity. However, they also had fewer people, and significantly less heavy equipment in use.

New management likes skiing. Their policy on glass skiing is super relaxed such that things that may considered poaching elsewhere are not. So long as you enter and exit the woods on open trails and ski in groups of 3 or larger. They also open terrain quickly. As a result, There is no need to poach anymore.

If you have your heart set on untracked powder there are plenty of ways both inbounds and nearby to get it, while still following the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

urungus

Hoping to be there tomorrow. How do Goniff Glade and Twilight Zone compare to each other in terms of steepness, spacing of trees, mandatory air, etc ?

The Sneak

You can handle both. Neither are super xxxtreme, frankly parts of Green Line and Black Line are way more challenging. No mandatory air on either that I can recall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slatham

Hoping to be there tomorrow. How do Goniff Glade and Twilight Zone compare to each other in terms of steepness, spacing of trees, mandatory air, etc ?

Goniff steeper for sure, straight down the line. Twilight not as steep, but double fall line and interesting decisions to make around trees and dropping into the true fall line for a few turns.

Trees, but these are trails with trees, not glades.

Exit of both the same as they merge, and can get tricky with low base and ice.

bdfreetuna

They're similar enough I've mixed them up a few times. Both loose glades and pretty steep but not extreme. Goniff might have a couple steeper turns in the middle section.

KustyTheKlown

it’s wild that magic was easily the best and also probably the cheapest skiing in soVT today, and there was never a line or a crowd of any kind. maybe bc the berks and catskills also got lit up this week

gregnye

it’s wild that magic was easily the best and also probably the cheapest skiing in soVT today, and there was never a line or a crowd of any kind. maybe bc the berks and catskills also got lit up this week

Agreed! Today was incredible! I think I had my best run ever down Twilight. And the waterbars on the west side added to the excitement--allowed for lots of jumping!

Thanks you staff at Magic for an awesome opening day!

bdfreetuna

Got up ready to get in the car at 6:00am, hoping this chest cold would have improved. Not so much. Don't want bronchitis right now. Hope y'all enjoy!

tnt1234

We skied on to every lift at Plattekill Saturday. Sauntered out to the line about 5 minutes before opening bell and were about 20th in line.

Crazy. Couldn't have been better.

urungus

Great conditions at Magic today and never had to wait at the chairlift ... where was everybody ? Went down Twilight Zone for the first time ever, much easier than I had expected and wonderful soft snow. Goniff looked a little rocky though.