• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

jaytrem

Im here. Look for twin 7 year old girls if anybody wants to say hello. Great day so far! Thanks all!

JoeB-Z

Grooming and hopefully a little snow Thursday Joe!

I"ll be there! Bright orange pants, old and a bit hefty. What a combination.

Arrived at 1pm. More than a little snow. I don't think the mountain had any rain. At first it was the sort that stuck to your goggles then it improved. There was plenty of new snow. 3-5 inches. It was soft and a bit of work but by no means unpleasant. Wizard and Talisman were a treat. It seems like the icy base on Talisman, perhaps due to grooming, was softer. Consequently it was fun to find the plenty of soft stuff and no issue if you found the harder base. I bet Goniff was a hoot but I am not adept enough not to beat up my skis. I think tomorrow I will give it a go.

jaytrem

Skied bell to bell, great day! Goniff and TZ bumps were sweet. Westside glades were....intetesting. Aim for the light, not much snow under the evergreens.

urungus

Spring Fling on Saturday was amazing. Funnest event of the year. A few of the highlights:

- participated in the free timed race down Showoff and (barely) achieved my goal of not finishing last
- won T shirt in the Flamingo toss by hitting the target barrel from the Red Chair
- watched some participants in the 1st annual shovel race
- had a shot of warming cinnamon whiskey at the Sunshine Corner snow bar
- cut over from Black Line and skiied some sections in the middle of Red Line that I had never had the nerve to try before
- had some delicious BBQ on the back deck

Conditions were great, lots of soft snow on the natural trails, and in the afternoon the sun came out. Only thing dicey I encountered was the first steep section on Witch, scoured down to almost pure ice by the wind.

Only complaint was there was so much stuff going on, I didn’t get to ski as much as I would have liked!

JoeB-Z

Just a note for season pass holders. It looks like Magic will be a hard stop on 4/7. Hopefully that's because JamaicaMan wants to take the chips off the table with a profit! Bolton Valley looks to be open one more week and our passes are good. They got clobbered with the last snow also.

JamaicaMan

Just a note for season pass holders. It looks like Magic will be a hard stop on 4/7. Hopefully that's because JamaicaMan wants to take the chips off the table with a profit! Bolton Valley looks to be open one more week and our passes are good. They got clobbered with the last snow also.

This has been our closing date 3 years in a row since we purchased Magic and will be for the future unless there is an unusual early April powder day. Almost nobody comes, even pass holders, and even when we have almost all our terrain open. Makes no financial sense for a small business like ours. But we’re happy to go into April every year!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

Kleetus

This has been our closing date 3 years in a row since we purchased Magic and will be for the future unless there is an unusual early April powder day. Almost nobody comes, even pass holders, and even when we have almost all our terrain open. Makes no financial sense for a small business like ours. But we’re happy to go into April every year!

Will not be there for next weekend, but hope you guys end up with a nice return for this year. If closing early allows that to happen, so be it (disclaimer not a passholder but only because of distance). Would rather Ski Magic another whole season than one more weekend in April!

You guys have done a great job bringing the mountain back to being viable again and with some nice improvements to boot. My trips to Magic a few times each season normally end up in my top 10 days category, look forward to many more in the seasons to come.

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

Magic planning to be open on April 13&14th is foolish. There is just not the skier visits, the base could be gone (not this year), and regardless of the base the weather/skiing could suck. The first week of April is the most sensible closing date, knowing of course that JM and DW will open the next week if the skiing happens to be Magical.....

And this year, I think I'd rather have them start with the new Black Quad asap!

Last edited:

JoeB-Z

Absolutely agree. Very few people today and the skiing in the afternoon was not bad at all once visibility improved.

urungus

The plan is to make the Black Chair the main workhorse next season, correct? And Red will only be run as a backup?

MG Skier

I skied Magic today, it was very quiet. I thought more folks would be skiing. The weather eventually cooperated and Tali was in great shape! Depending on the level of melting this week, next wek may proove to be challenging, a few trails will not make it another week. There was plenty of good skiing today once you could see a line to ski. Today was my last visit for the season for me. I will be back! I waved a goodbye to the Black Chair even though she didn’t turn this year the future is looking bright for her replacement. I am looking forward to watching the growth in the off season.

Handlebars

Closed out my magic season last weekend with my third day there this year. Had a blast really getting to explore the place, including skiing a lot of terrain I don’t normally get to see or ski. As a passholder across the valley, I am super stoked at the huge investments in time, capital, and passion from the new ownership and magic faithful. It’s a gem and is absolutely needed for southern vt.

WoodCore

The plan is to make the Black Chair the main workhorse next season, correct? And Red will only be run as a backup?

Just the opposite from what I understand. Red will remain the workhorse and the quad will be used as the backup.

urungus

Just the opposite from what I understand. Red will remain the workhorse and the quad will be used as the backup.

Quoting from the press release at https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018...owl-poma-quad-lift-heading-to-magic-mountain/

“Magic will operate the new quad as the primary summit lift every weekend and holiday period, with the famed Red Chair continuing as an additional lift on busy weekends plus pulling main duty on lighter traffic weekdays.”

Kind of a bummer from a nostalgia perspective.

JamaicaMan

Once the new Quad goes in we’re going to tear the Red Chair down. Don’t need that lift. And the towers get in the way of skiers on Red Line