• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

First day out yesterday and felt like I slept for a few weekends and was automatically transported back to the superb conditions from last spring as there is so much and so dependable snow!! Honestly I felt pretty good considering the 6 months off, but this snow is hero snow and it gives you confidence.

Don't miss out!

Euler

December 1st!!!! Unbelievable soft deep snow everywhere. Good sized crowd for early season, I thought. Lot B was pretty close to full. The whole top half of the mountain was coated in crazy,needly ice crytals....maybe frozen fog?
FullSizeRender.jpgiceFog.jpg

slatham

97C2EE61-A81B-4E81-8EE9-0FE238F20DFA.jpg

Solid coverage on Sorcerer. The whole mountain looked like this - great conditions for any day of the year, but historical for Dec 1.

Euler, that’s “Rime Ice” and your exactly right, formed by super cooled water vapor (frozen fog) latching onto any cold object in its path. The formations yesterday were pretty amazing - it must have been foggy up there for many for days.

MG Skier

I had my first day out on Saturday. Groomers were great and once my legs woke up, the natural trails were a blast! I didn't pop into the woods other than skiers right of Red. Magic team was busy with Ski Patrol building a summit and work was ongoing at Green Lift! Base lodge looks great by the way!!

Do Work

View attachment 24247

Solid coverage on Sorcerer. The whole mountain looked like this - great conditions for any day of the year, but historical for Dec 1.

Euler, that’s “Rime Ice” and your exactly right, formed by super cooled water vapor (frozen fog) latching onto any cold object in its path. The formations yesterday were pretty amazing - it must have been foggy up there for many for days.

I'm pretty sure that specific type is called Hoar Frost.

In any case, I've never seen more of it in my life. It grew for 3 days! Looked like it had snowed more there was so much of it.

NYDB

I'm pretty sure that specific type is called Hoar Frost.

In any case, I've never seen more of it in my life. It grew for 3 days! Looked like it had snowed more there was so much of it.

and that's one to grow on!

So, what’s the difference between hoar frost and rime ice? It all has to do with how the ice crystals formed: hoar develops when water vapor freezes, going directly from the gaseous state to the solid, while rime forms where supercooled liquid water droplets freeze on contact with cold surfaces. If it goes from gas to solid, it’s hoar frost. If it goes from liquid to solid, it’s rime.

makimono

That Ski The East vid that was filmed last March just dropped! :snow: what a day, I was pitted for about 10 minutes in pretty much the exact spot that Noah says "it's too deep!"

WoodCore

Props to the Crew on the Guns and Hoses!!! In my 35+ years of skiing Magic can't remember seeing such a display of snowmaking firepower. The new "kitty cat" is also laying some nice tracks.

IMG_9454.jpg

IMG_9456.jpg

Do Work

Props to the Crew on the Guns and Hoses!!! In my 35+ years of skiing Magic can't remember seeing such a display of snowmaking firepower. The new "kitty cat" is also laying some nice tracks.

View attachment 24295

View attachment 24296

The whole Ops team has been crushing it this season. Can’t say enough nice things about them and how hard everyone is working to improve every aspect of Operations. Truly changing the game for Magic and her fans to be this far blown in before Xmas.

Euler

More props and thanks to Magic's mountain ops crew. I had a great morning there yesterday. Being able to ski on both east and west sides after last week's weather was impressive. Talisman and Sorcerer were both skiing great, and there are several solid routes down the east side as well. Conditions were firm and fast, but definitely not icy or even "boilerplate". When I arrived at 8:45 Lot A was half full, and when I left at 1:00 lot B was 3/4 full. Looks like slow, steady progress continues to be made on the Green lift. Hopefully that second lift will be ready before the first really busy day. Thanks again to team Magic!

Do Work

More props and thanks to Magic's mountain ops crew. I had a great morning there yesterday. Being able to ski on both east and west sides after last week's weather was impressive. Talisman and Sorcerer were both skiing great, and there are several solid routes down the east side as well. Conditions were firm and fast, but definitely not icy or even "boilerplate". When I arrived at 8:45 Lot A was half full, and when I left at 1:00 lot B was 3/4 full. Looks like slow, steady progress continues to be made on the Green lift. Hopefully that second lift will be ready before the first really busy day. Thanks again to team Magic!

Thank you for the kind words! We are hoping to have all the priority East Side trails blown in this week and be on to the West Side trails before Xmas. We have NEVER done that this fast and while the weather has been a huge help, this team is KILLING IT right now. SO incredibly proud of them and all their hard work, it is truly changing the game here at Magic for the better!

slatham

Thank you for the kind words! We are hoping to have all the priority East Side trails blown in this week and be on to the West Side trails before Xmas. We have NEVER done that this fast and while the weather has been a huge help, this team is KILLING IT right now. SO incredibly proud of them and all their hard work, it is truly changing the game here at Magic for the better!

Incredible progress! To even be THINKING about guns on the West Side pre-Christmas is historic. The guns and hoses crew will get a chance for some rest this weekend but there's likely a decent (if short) window or two next week. Now if we can just spin up a Christmas miracle snow storm....

drjeff

Incredible progress! To even be THINKING about guns on the West Side pre-Christmas is historic. The guns and hoses crew will get a chance for some rest this weekend but there's likely a decent (if short) window or two next week. Now if we can just spin up a Christmas miracle snow storm....

There's a way overly eager FB wannabe meteorologists blog that I follow (USAwx), that is starting to get some excitement about a roughly Christmas time storm potential brewing. Take it with a grain of salt, as while about 3 weeks out they were talking about the storm that just dumped all the snow over North Carolina (of course early on they had it as more of a Northeast rather then mid-Atlantic location), but I have found them to be decent at general trends a few weeks out

KustyTheKlown

There's a way overly eager FB wannabe meteorologists blog that I follow (USAwx), that is starting to get some excitement about a roughly Christmas time storm potential brewing. Take it with a grain of salt, as while about 3 weeks out they were talking about the storm that just dumped all the snow over North Carolina (of course early on they had it as more of a Northeast rather then mid-Atlantic location), but I have found them to be decent at general trends a few weeks out

the gfs already has already been showing the xmas storm for days.

GFS122318.jpg

Smellytele

the gfs already has already been showing the xmas storm for days.

View attachment 24314

Ain't no mo...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_36.png

slatham

The models are doing a VERY poor job right now, even out a few days, much less well over a week away. And the GFS is typically worse than the Euro, but even the Euro has been poor of late. Remember a week ago? It was going to be warm and rain way into Ontario. Now it looks like it barely gets to NYC.

Better to take the long range with a grain of salt.....