• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

drjeff

Magic updated on FB that due to the server overload, they are going over the 100 at that price and will offer Throwback cards at $99 ALL DAY TODAY, not limiting the #!!!

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Short version... Magic will likely make 15,000 in sales today instead of 10,000 in sales today. Whether or not there was some thought behind this ahead of time by marketing/administration is a topic that should only be discussed over a few rounds at the BLT! ;-)

JoeB-Z

And also nice that they will be open that Monday even if you have a pass.

mgalluzz

And also nice that they will be open that Monday even if you have a pass.

In working with Kerry over at Magic, it sounds like they were actually considering opening that day, but they liked the idea of what we were doing so much that they decided to let us hold the event instead. We're also going to be raising money for a local charity that helps get underprivileged kids on the slopes. It should be a fantastic day.

NYDB

Cool for everyone with no pass and a worthwhile cause for sure.

But for passholders I think They have been open superbowl Monday the past couple of years anyway.

slatham

In working with Kerry over at Magic, it sounds like they were actually considering opening that day, but they liked the idea of what we were doing so much that they decided to let us hold the event instead. We're also going to be raising money for a local charity that helps get underprivileged kids on the slopes. It should be a fantastic day.

Great idea to combo it up and let everyone enjoy. Can you pass info on the charity? Great to help people get out and enjoy winter.

mgalluzz

We've got it down to two potential charity partners. Hopefully should have it decided within the next couple of weeks. I'll be sure to pass it along once we know.

JamaicaMan

Nice job yesterday by the glade work crew after some big set up clearing by DoWork & Jeremy Thurs/Fri [emoji482]This one just got a whole lot better!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tumbler

I saw that the new quad is hoping to be ready for MLK? Is this an inside install or is Poma contracted?

hughconway

I saw that the new quad is hoping to be ready for MLK? Is this an inside install or is Poma contracted?

I think Magic is a great mountain, and from what I have seen & heard the new ownership has really been doing a great job. That said, I don't think there is a snowballs chance in he|| that the new quad is done for this season. Same installers took 2 years to do the green double mid mountain lift, and that already had the towers in place. Unless I am mistaken, they have yet to install towers or the top & bottom bullwheels. Sorry for the skepticism, but I am a realist.

icecoast1

I think Magic is a great mountain, and from what I have seen & heard the new ownership has really been doing a great job. That said, I don't think there is a snowballs chance in he|| that the new quad is done for this season. Same installers took 2 years to do the green double mid mountain lift, and that already had the towers in place. Unless I am mistaken, they have yet to install towers or the top & bottom bullwheels. Sorry for the skepticism, but I am a realist.

the green lift was partially constructed and then left to decay for years. That's a totally different installation process then putting up a new (to them) lift that was in proper working order. You can't even compare the two

tumbler

That's why I was asking. It will be a game changer when done but a budget is a budget it appears.

slatham

That's why I was asking. It will be a game changer when done but a budget is a budget it appears.

Hum, never thought of delays being the result of budget issues, and certainly haven't heard that, but I guess possible. Delays as I have heard them are due to issues that have come up during the process (issues with the ledge requiring more blasting for instance).

Magic doesn't "need" the quad until MLK, which is 3 months away. Killington finished North Ridge around October 1st. Where were they on July 1st as a comparison? All I can find on social media is a post on July 30th that they were pouring tower bases. Not apples to apples obviously (Black is 19 towers vs 9, more challenging terrain, much longer), but 2 months later they were done. So I still think it very possible the quad can be running by MLK but it will be tight. I hope no other unplanned issues arise.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I don't like that Magic gets a pass for late lift construction. Felt the same way with the Green lift even with the contractor passing. If this was a major resort and a main lift wasn't going to be completed til MLK weekend this forum would have bashed and bashed to no end. IMO a promise to your customers is a promise no matter how big or small your business is. Green was more understandable as it had been sitting and rotting away but I don't really get how this chair can fall so far behind schedule given it was open and running 10 miles away two years ago.

Personally I do not have a Magic pass so I've got no skin in the game, and I will still definitely visit Magic this season with or without Black.

NYDB

I don't think they get a 'full pass' if the lift doesn't spin this year, but assuming red remains reliable and green spins when needed, I can deal. Disappointing yes, but there was no black lift last year either so......

Bottom line is that I appreciate them actually going for the full lift replacement instead of continual patching of the old lift. Couple that with the overall improvements over the last 3 years with new ownership and management and I'll give them a 'half pass'.

Sent from my SM-G973U using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Didn't the lift that replaced the new black, the Snowbowl HSQ at Stratton, not get finished until almost MLK weekend last year?

Coincidence?? Who cares!

Props to Magic for pulling this off, regardless of when it finally spins

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app