• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

dlague

:lol:

I don't see anything that would hold me back from buying a seasons pass if it was more local. They seem to be doing what they said they were going to do, if not more. Luckily for them, and every single other operator in the industry, it was a fairly decent winter, compared to last year, and EVERYONE probably has done well enough to survive another year and recoup some of last years losses, and move ahead with future plans.
I have a pass - Epic Local for about $110 more.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
I find it interesting that anyone thinks snowmaking is taking a backseat because we're taking on the Green Chair. On the contrary, snowmaking is the bulk of our allocations for the summer. Perhaps we haven't communicated exactly where the million bucks this summer will see is going, so perhaps clarification is in order.

In the simplest terms possible:

The snowmaking pond, dam, brook refilling station and stream are all getting redone, which should net us 15+ million gallons-which is essentially quadruple what we had to use this year for some perspective.

We are also beefing up our mobile tower snow gun fleet, adding a few more towers in key spots, replacing a lot of lower mountain water pipe and working with efficiency agencies as well as HKD to showcase some emerging automatic technology as well. Some older heavy equipment is getting traded in for more useful gear and there's an aggressive silviculture program to be enstated. Black is slated for a new drive and motor as well as a lot of line work and a new base terminal building. Red is going to get line work love and some shack upgrades. Patrol is getting a new top shack, the entire mountain is going to be mowed twice and the rangers will see some new goodies to help do it all.

That isn't even all of it. Believe me when I say we are leaving no priority unaddressed. I'm happy to answer any questions I can, but this is a crazy time. Lots of preliminary stuff going on to prep for all this, especially given the size of our team. We're doing it though, and we are not making any excuses along the way.

Do stick around. We have had a very good discussion on here and folks always appreciate input from an insider.

Do Work

Do stick around. We have had a very good discussion on here and folks always appreciate input from an insider.

Oh, I'm not going anywhere :beer:

I am extremely happy to relay details or clear up confusion when I can. Communicating goals as well as progress is a huge priority to our whole crew. What good is spending all that cash if nobody knows about it? We're going to be posting updates, pictures, video and hosting volunteer events throughout the summer to keep everyone interested, informed and involved as humanly possible.

I can't tell you how good it feels to be working towards making Magic better than it's ever been. As exhausting as it is, nothing I've ever done has been more gratifying than to overcome the seemingly omnipresent roadblocks that were standing in our way to do it. I'm already looking forward to Sunday at 4:01pm, as that will be the first minute of the next chapter in the book of Magic. I'm guaranteeing it'll be a page turner! :thumbup:

Savemeasammy

The Green chair is a great call. Magic has such a great family vibe, and the one thing that has been missing is the availability of beginner terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

urungus

@ Do Work,

Thanks for the insider updates. Great to hear about all the work that is being done. I have a couple of thoughts/suggestions to pass along from someone who first started going to Magic this year:

1) The very top of White Out is not accurately depicted on the new trail map, and led to my son and I taking the snowmobile trail halfway to Timber Ridge before we found another trail leading back. To get to White Out, you actually have to go down Betwixt a little bit. But the trail map does not show this, it depicts White Out as a completely separate trail. So when we got off the Red Chair, we saw the sign for Betwixt, and figured (incorrectly) that the unmarked trail to the right of Betwixt was White Out. Suggestion: 1) Correct the map for next year, 2) Underneath the Betwixt sign, put a second sign saying "to White Out", and 3) Put a sign on the unmarked trail warning that it is a snowmobile trail that leads away from the main mountain.

2) When Lower Wizard is closed, put a warning sign at the top of Upper Wizard. Yes, I know there is already a sign there saying "advanced skiers only", but there is a significant increase in difficulty (blue to black) between Lower Wizard and Talisman. The other day I warned a family about to head down Upper Wizard that the lower portion was closed and they would be forced to take Talisman. They thanked me and turned back, but I wonder how many other people had an unpleasant (and possibly dangerous) surprise halfway down?

3) There is another small error in the new map. Immediately below Wand, the map shows a non-existent grove of trees between Lower Redline and the Red Chair. The grove of trees should actually be on the other side of the Red Chair, between the lift and Trudy's Run.

NYDB

The Green chair is a great call. Magic has such a great family vibe, and the one thing that has been missing is the availability of beginner terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Plus now when you 'kusty it' off the top ledge on GL you'll get some chair hoots.

NYDB

I will buy seasons passes for my 4 family members this year. It's nice to have another option especially during the holidays, busy So VT Saturdays (most) and when there are good natural conditions. And I'm really looking forward to use a few days at Bolton Valley.

When I visited this year, as opposed to the last couple, there was a different feel for sure. Getting black up and running was huge psychologically and made presidents weekend tolerable lift wise. You can tell things are different.

Last edited:

RustyGroomer

I will by seasons passes for my 4 family members this year. It's nice to have another option especially during the holidays, busy So VT Saturdays (most) and when there are good natural conditions. And I'm really looking forward to use a few days at Bolton Valley.

When you visited this year, as opposed to the last couple, there was a different feel for sure. Getting black up and running was huge psychologically and made presidents weekend tolerable lift wise. You can tell things are different.

Awesome. All of it.

jrmagic

This was posted today on Magic's Facebook page. I think this is a fantastic idea!!

Final Ski Weekend Update: If you're a pass holder at another resort that's closed for the season, come experience Magic for FREE on Saturday. Just show your pass at ticket office for a complimentary ticket. What the hell, it's spring, right?

Sent from my SM-N920V using AlpineZone mobile app

Do Work

@ Do Work,

Thanks for the insider updates. Great to hear about all the work that is being done. I have a couple of thoughts/suggestions to pass along from someone who first started going to Magic this year:

1) The very top of White Out is not accurately depicted on the new trail map, and led to my son and I taking the snowmobile trail halfway to Timber Ridge before we found another trail leading back. To get to White Out, you actually have to go down Betwixt a little bit. But the trail map does not show this, it depicts White Out as a completely separate trail. So when we got off the Red Chair, we saw the sign for Betwixt, and figured (incorrectly) that the unmarked trail to the right of Betwixt was White Out. Suggestion: 1) Correct the map for next year, 2) Underneath the Betwixt sign, put a second sign saying "to White Out", and 3) Put a sign on the unmarked trail warning that it is a snowmobile trail that leads away from the main mountain.

2) When Lower Wizard is closed, put a warning sign at the top of Upper Wizard. Yes, I know there is already a sign there saying "advanced skiers only", but there is a significant increase in difficulty (blue to black) between Lower Wizard and Talisman. The other day I warned a family about to head down Upper Wizard that the lower portion was closed and they would be forced to take Talisman. They thanked me and turned back, but I wonder how many other people had an unpleasant (and possibly dangerous) surprise halfway down?

3) There is another small error in the new map. Immediately below Wand, the map shows a non-existent grove of trees between Lower Redline and the Red Chair. The grove of trees should actually be on the other side of the Red Chair, between the lift and Trudy's Run.

We had been made aware of the confusion at the top and have been marking the TR crossover trail as the ski area boundary, and the entrance of Wizard as expert only. We will have a more communicative system next year but it's a start. Sorry for the inconvenience!

That last error I noticed as well. There's definitely a few tweaks coming for version 2.0.

Tin

Need a trigger warning before walking upstairs. Fox News was on first thing Saturday morning. This little snowflake almost melted.

RustyGroomer

Need a trigger warning before walking upstairs. Fox News was on first thing Saturday morning. This little snowflake almost melted.

Been saying this for years but what Magic really needs to enhance the skiing is an escalator.

Who's skiing this weekend?

rtjcbrown

I would call it a success for Magic when people have nothing left to complain about except which BS news channel to watch.

Well done!