• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

bzrperfspec77

I sat in a Gondi last weekend at Stratton and someone said "I wish Stratton was more challenging..." So I said to him, have you tried Magic Mountain? He said that he never heard of it... It is amazing how many people get locked in a bubble and don't think about exploring other mountains or let alone looking at a map...

Great move by Magic to open for other ski area passholders.

RustyGroomer

I would call it a success for Magic when people have nothing left to complain about except which BS news channel to watch.

Well done!

Good observation & point!

I sat in a Gondi last weekend at Stratton and someone said "I wish Stratton was more challenging..." So I said to him, have you tried Magic Mountain? He said that he never heard of it... It is amazing how many people get locked in a bubble and don't think about exploring other mountains or let alone looking at a map...

Did you point over your shoulder & say "there it is"?

urungus

We had been made aware of the confusion at the top and have been marking the TR crossover trail as the ski area boundary, and the entrance of Wizard as expert only. We will have a more communicative system next year but it's a start. Sorry for the inconvenience!

That last error I noticed as well. There's definitely a few tweaks coming for version 2.0.

Thanks for the response. We were back this Saturday and noticed a boundary marker had been put up on the TR snowmobile trail, that is great! Here's a picture of our the skitracks from our first visit, note run #3, LOL

IMG_0764.jpg

Thanks for the response. We were back this Saturday and noticed a boundary marker had been put up on the TR snowmobile trail, that is great! Here's a picture of our the skitracks from our first visit, note run #3, LOL

View attachment 22415

At least you made the left! Hope you took in the view at moonshine corner.

More seriously, I know the new regime wants this type of feedback. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

KustyTheKlown

i overheard some dudes on the stratton parking lot shuttle bus say something to the effect of "yeah i cant believe he's at magic today... it's only like $10 cheaper and its so small and shitty" ummmm, ok bro? that was the sunday after the surprise foot of snow friday night like two weeks ago. i was only at stratton because i was with a group of 15 people and we had lots of max passes.

urungus

i overheard some dudes on the stratton parking lot shuttle bus say something to the effect of "yeah i cant believe he's at magic today... it's only like $10 cheaper and its so small and shitty" ummmm, ok bro? that was the sunday after the surprise foot of snow friday night like two weeks ago. i was only at stratton because i was with a group of 15 people and we had lots of max passes.

I love Magic Mountain because of the absence of jerks like that

slatham

For those not following the Magic web site, not only is there a "New Magic", based on their off-seasons plans its going to be a "New and Improved Magic".

The Inaugural SKI MAGIC season has come to a successful close after staying open until April 9th. But skiing was still taking place here this weekend as skinners hiked the hill and hit Talisman which meant crossing some pretty big dry land patches two-thirds of the way down and then hooking back up with some snow for the runout. But, that's the fun of late April turns and we're glad the snowmaking provided the opportunity for our Magic die-hards. The Black Line Tavern will again be open from Thursday-Saturday this week starting at 5pm.

We are already turning our attention to some major off-season projects which our SKI MAGIC investor group has given the green light to for this summer. The "Green Chair" project is undergoing an inspection by our operations crew and Ski Lifts Unlimited to more accurately determine the status of the gear box, tower alignments, haul rope viability, parts for rebuilding tower assemblies, and chair count. This will give us a more accurate estimate of project costs and timing with goal of bringing this new third chair online for the 17-18 season. The mid-mountain chair gives young families and less advanced skiers an easier way to access Magic's intermediate and novice terrain without going to the top, and, importantly, provides interesting terrain for all to access earlier in the ski season as snowmaking can cover a smaller trail footprint quicker to get us open earlier than ever before. That means potential Thanksgiving weekend openings versus Christmas openings if the cold weather cooperates. And that means more value for our season pass customers and youth programs like racing, freeride, and young devos.

Another key project being fleshed out right now is work requirements and approvals on our snowmaking system as we need to rebuild our pond dam and stream system, plus sketching out new piping needs coming from our pump house through the base area. These projects will give us more access to water and better performance at high pressures when we are blowing snow. In addition, previously existing snowmaking trails will be brought back online for the first time in decades with the purchase of new hydrants and repair of piping (ex: Lower Magic Carpet, Vertigo, Sorcerer, Witch, Black Line).

More good news: in a busy week for the ski industry, we have NOT been purchased by Vail or Aspen yet. Magic is perfectly positioned as a real alternative to the mega-resort trends overtaking the ski business. There's nothing wrong with big resorts getting bigger. But as that occurs, there is even more of a need for independent ski areas that focus on the sport of skiing and riding and not all the ancillary amusements, amenities and real-estate ventures that drive corporate profits. We are focused on providing a better skiing experience at MAGIC and keeping it as fun, laid-back and affordable for families as possible. Magic must make money to be sustainable long-term. But, if we efficiently manage our skiing operations, we can be profitable by offering a truly unique product at a good value to customers who appreciate a different experience. There's a generation of skiers who has grown up not realizing that a more intimate, freer and close-knit camaraderie to the sport exists. We want to see that old-fashioned ski culture survive and thrive.

For those of you nodding your heads, we hope you will "take the road less traveled" with us next season. Magic's affordable 2017-18 season passes are on sale now at our lowest "Early Bird" prices until May 15th.

So come join us on this grand adventure! I will keep you posted on our progress throughout the off-season.

- Geoff

SKI MAGIC LLC

dlague

More good news: in a busy week for the ski industry, we have NOT been purchased by Vail or Aspen yet. Magic is perfectly positioned as a real alternative to the mega-resort trends overtaking the ski business. There's nothing wrong with big resorts getting bigger. But as that occurs, there is even more of a need for independent ski areas that focus on the sport of skiing and riding and not all the ancillary amusements, amenities and real-estate ventures that drive corporate profits. We are focused on providing a better skiing experience at MAGIC and keeping it as fun, laid-back and affordable for families as possible. Magic must make money to be sustainable long-term. But, if we efficiently manage our skiing operations, we can be profitable by offering a truly unique product at a good value to customers who appreciate a different experience. There's a generation of skiers who has grown up not realizing that a more intimate, freer and close-knit camaraderie to the sport exists. We want to see that old-fashioned ski culture survive and thrive.

Great positioning statement! Overall sounds solid!

urungus

Thanks for the update Geoff, sounds like you have a busy summer ahead. Can't wait for next season!!

cdskier

Nice article. Even though I'm a passholder at Sugarbush, Magic is definitely a place I'd like to make it to one day. I get the feeling I would really enjoy it.

slatham

Nice article. Even though I'm a passholder at Sugarbush, Magic is definitely a place I'd like to make it to one day. I get the feeling I would really enjoy it.

MY brother-in-law and family live off Lincoln Gap Rd and are ME pass holders. They skied Magic (in good natural snow conditions) and were very impressed. "Northern VT skiing in SoVT". There's a reason the Ski the East Freeride tour stops at Magic. I love Sugarbush, and I love Magic, I think you will too.

Magic has a smaller MRG feel to it. Under the right conditions, the terrain skis larger than the trail map indicates and certainly is challenging. While the lifts may be slow, it's a nice break and has the same effect of limiting skiers as Mad River's single chair.

I hate to let the cat out of the bag, but know these new owners are working their butts off to bring this gem back to life so check it out next season.

As a long time Sugarbush veteran, Magic won't disappoint!

cdskier

Magic has a smaller MRG feel to it. Under the right conditions, the terrain skis larger than the trail map indicates and certainly is challenging. While the lifts may be slow, it's a nice break and has the same effect of limiting skiers as Mad River's single chair.

I hate to let the cat out of the bag, but know these new owners are working their butts off to bring this gem back to life so check it out next season.

As a long time Sugarbush veteran, Magic won't disappoint!

I think the biggest thing holding me back is it being "out of the way" for me. You're looking at a 4 hour drive from NJ, so it isn't a day trip option. From Sugarbush it is under 2 hours away and a day trip option, but it is very difficult to drive right past the base of SB and go ski somewhere else. Might have to find a day to do it either on the drive up to SB from NJ or on the way back home.