• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

mriceyman

Ain't no mo...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_36.png

The gfs is no more jn a month or so.. start using the fv3 which will take its place

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

GREAT NEWS in a post on Magic's FB page today where Geoff Hathaway replied to a question about if the Green will be ready for Christmas week by saying that they're planning on scheduling the load test for the state this Saturday!

MG Skier

GREAT NEWS in a post on Magic's FB page today where Geoff Hathaway replied to a question about if the Green will be ready for Christmas week by saying that they're planning on scheduling the load test for the state this Saturday!

Way to go Magic! Not that it would be exciting to watch but cool to witness????
Bring on the cardboard boxes lined with trash bags......I hope there is a hydrant close by!

WoodCore

Wonder how the load test for Green went today? Regardless, guns are hammering Tali!

48423246_10155703384202038_7297902442455236608_n.jpg

Do Work

Wonder how the load test for Green went today? Regardless, guns are hammering Tali!

View attachment 24353

Load test passed with flying colors . Still a decent punch list of things to do before she's ready for the public, but everything worked exactly as it should. She's right around the corner! :beer:

Last edited:

slatham

Must say I am impressed with how Magic survived the Christmas rains. Thinking back to prior years I am reminded that the likely scenario would be a thin, WROD Tick to Showoff, plus tubing. MAYBE Hocus Pocus. Instead they had Upper Carpet, Medium, Trick, Wand, Show Off, Carumba, Hocus Pocus, terrain park, learning area, and tubing. All with solid depth, mostly edge to edge, groomed up and skiing nicely. They also put some snow on lower Black Line/Upper Hocus Pocus for the "Tuck it" comp.

And then, prior to New Years, a fully blown, edge to edge, rockless, "whale of time" Talisman! Just a great performance and putting Magic onto a much higher level of reliable skiing.

Rumor is they're not done, with lower carpet next to support flow from the new Green Chair, which looks sweet and is apparently very very close to spinning.

Now we just need Mother Nature to deliver some snow once again.....

Talisman to close the year: 12/31/18:

abc2cebb707323d38ec8df0b4d34e549.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
Happy to see that the Green is FINALLY complete. Looks like they are turning things around there. Good work!

Must say I am impressed with how Magic survived the Christmas rains. Thinking back to prior years I am reminded that the likely scenario would be a thin, WROD Tick to Showoff, plus tubing. MAYBE Hocus Pocus. Instead they had Upper Carpet, Medium, Trick, Wand, Show Off, Carumba, Hocus Pocus, terrain park, learning area, and tubing. All with solid depth, mostly edge to edge, groomed up and skiing nicely. They also put some snow on lower Black Line/Upper Hocus Pocus for the "Tuck it" comp.

And then, prior to New Years, a fully blown, edge to edge, rockless, "whale of time" Talisman! Just a great performance and putting Magic onto a much higher level of reliable skiing.

Rumor is they're not done, with lower carpet next to support flow from the new Green Chair, which looks sweet and is apparently very very close to spinning.

So true! Given the warm up before Xmas there is a good chance that under prior ownership they wouldn't have been able to open (like the year before new ownership). I’ve got to handed it to JamicaMan, DoWork, and the support of their investor group. Their performance has been superb.

You can't control the weather, but they took what they could control, namely, building a snowmaking system, fixing, replacing, and acquiring lifts, plus recruiting a great staff and found a way to make money from ski school, merchandise store, bar, and concerts over a critical week.

As the big capex projects (pond, green chair, quad) come to completion over the next 12-18 mlnths, I only see them getting better and better.

ShadyGrove

I heard directly from a few new guests at Magic that were incredibly pleased with their experience. I heard 2nd hand of several other stories where skiers from Mt Snow, Stratton, and even the Hermitage that had great days at Magic, even given the difficult conditions. As a regular, it can be difficult to remember how the big resorts have such a different feeling and how the community based vibe of Magic makes it a really special place.

urungus

Just received the following email update, after 16 years Saturday is the big day!!

the new Green Lift is now ready for final inspection on Friday--and, if all goes well, it will be spinning for every one on Saturday morning. So come join us to celebrate its inaugural voyage to the mid-mountain on Saturday! To help keep the party going, we've also lined up an award-winning rock-blues band out of Providence, The Silks, for our Saturday night Black Line Music Series concert. Amazingly, there's no cover for The Silks thanks to our neighbors Muelemans' Craft Draughts, rk Miles, Vermont Foam Insulation and Harpoon.

According to this site, construction of the Green Chair began in 2003! https://www.newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/viewlift.php?id=838

JamaicaMan

Awesome. Congrats JM,DW and the whole Magic crew.

Thanks everyone. The feedback mean a lot. We’ll keep grinding and tackling all the issues a small business has to deal with, especially a ski area in southern Vt while staying true to our independent, throwback, ski community vision. Most importantly, we have a crew that will do “whatever it takes” to deliver the best product we can in a sometimes difficult environment lol. Think snow!

Do Work

Rumor: Confirmed

We will definitely be going to Lower Carpet for the first time in about 20 years on the next weather window. Given that the Green Chair *should* be good to go for this weekend, it will be a key avenue for beginners and also to open up a lot more acreage on that side of the mountain in general. I can't wait to bury all those water bars!

After that it will likely be back to blow in Sorcerer. We really want to get that filled in to provide another way down the West side when Tali is closed for racing (even though that's not very often) and to show off the fruits of our labor in repairing it. I think it will be a wonderful trail, and is exceptional at keeping what snow it has. Should be a one-and-done.

We were very proud to offer Talisman before the new year, which to my knowledge had never been done before. Also our ability to weather and repair after big rain events is definitely apparent after we got what, 8" of rain so far? The days of Magic being at the total mercy of nature is thankfully coming to a close- although a little natural would be nice- and our ability to run and gun our way to a good trail count gets stronger every day.

Newpylong

DW when is the last time Wizard has seen snow made on it T2B?

Do you ever foresee repairing/using (forgot what you said the deal with that line was) Witch to Black in lean snow years?