• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

It is curious that there is no Act 250 filing for the handle tow move. Maybe it’s just not in the database yet due to some Covid related slow down. I can’t believe one would’ be needed. And I agree it would be an easy move for the Magic ops crew to complete themselves.

The Quad is looking good and it would appear the next, and last, major effort is to install the cable. It is sitting at the base ready to go......

From what I understand, the pond project entails significant logistical challenges in coordination with various VT agencies not to mention contractors etc. I have to think the events of this past spring delayed this enough to make it impossible to finish this off season. Keep in mind too that from a practical matter, while I am sure all things equal Magic wants the pond done and to have the water, with the Thompsonburg Creek pump house, they have a good supply of water and to my knowledge had no issues last year with running out of water.

JamaicaMan

Act 250 signed off on the project without a filing given the non-invasive nature of it.

Pfister is on the Quad project so it will be done by the fall unless something catastrophic happens in testing/inspection. We will be doing the handle tow move and repair of pipe. Separate projects by different crews.

The pond was put off this year as it’s a major capital expense and with the uncertainty of this covid winter, you don’t want to risk spending huge amounts of capital (especially when we are doing so on Quad).

The pond as it is with the new pump at brook should “fill” our needs for this season.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Do Work

I truly hope you're right. But the new quad still isn't done, there is probably a reason why the snowmaking pond expansion that was due 2-3 years ago hasn't been spoken of this year, there are other projects going on around the mountain and even though the map they posted looked like it would be part of an act 250 filing, I haven't been able to locate one approving that surface lift move.

I truly hope it pans out for them, but they also have a track record - much improved in the past few years under new ownership - of making promises and not delivering. It's nearly august. At this point I'm really just rooting for them to finish that quad and get it inspected before Thanksgiving. IMO, that will be a small miracle in and of itself. Awesome plan moving that rope tow, but one step at a time!

Understandable concerns, and I'll try to address them all directly.

Final details of the Quad are being worked on as we speak, and there is no reason whatsoever to think that it won't be completed for this season.

The Dam was pushed off until next year as it was a large CAPEX project, and we are trying to play it safe & smart financially with COVID uncertainties looming- but is at the top of the list when the smoke clears. Nothing wrong with the plans or project, just a strategic move and we've spoken on that several times over the summer.

We formally approached Act 250 about the handle tow move and they very quickly (literally within a couple hours) gave official approval for a non-permitted move since it's already permitted and registered to be on the premises, has no footings to be moved or dug, electrically is being moved to another leg on the same transformer, and all ground work and tree cleanup needed there is in line with our normal trail maintenance work. There's even snowmaking pipe (albeit old and likely in need of repair) over there already. All work is being done in-house save for the small electrical tie-in from the carpet shack which is a non-issue for 250. All Tramway need sis engineering specs for slope, basic design & counterweight, followed of course by a live test but that's about the simplest process imaginable. It is not a large undertaking.

All in all, it's a great project to take on for this timeline. Relatively short money to gain all that space, user friendliness and progression. Also as financially sad as I am to see tubing go away, it was the biggest headache to operate on the mountain and I'm hopeful that the night park will see some heavy usage too. Lots of bigger mountains around that don't have anything to offer at night, so the potential there is considerable and IMO we just need to market it properly.

All in all it's been a pretty crazy summer but the guys are killing it in every arm of Ops despite the unique challenges 2020 has brought. I can't even imagine how well we'd be doing if we didn't have all this COVID mess to deal with, but that's a waste of brain space... We are way out in front, and everybody is firing on all cylinders to make sure we are as ready as possible for whatever this season ends up looking like. We've got a ton of small fun things to share with the public as the calendar crumbles, and will keep updating people on developments as we knock down our goals.

It's such a weird year, but we have got a great plan coming together. I'll try to keep people informed as best I can when I'm not snorkeling in mud rasslin' pipe or diggin out from under a paperworkalanche during a visit to my office.

Newpylong

Take some video when you attempt to charge the water lines over there. When we charged a line that hasn't been used in 19 years this past fall it was one for the books. :popcorn:

kancamagus

Take some video when you attempt to charge the water lines over there. When we charged a line that hasn't been used in 19 years this past fall it was one for the books. :popcorn:

Like this, or worse? 🙃

0nv33vkpdq8ldbirrl63.gif

slatham

Final details of the Quad are being worked on as we speak, and there is no reason whatsoever to think that it won't be completed for this season.

The Dam was pushed off until next year as it was a large CAPEX project, and we are trying to play it safe & smart financially with COVID uncertainties looming- but is at the top of the list when the smoke clears. Nothing wrong with the plans or project, just a strategic move and we've spoken on that several times over the summer.

We formally approached Act 250 about the handle tow move and they very quickly (literally within a couple hours) gave official approval for a non-permitted move since it's already permitted and registered to be on the premises, has no footings to be moved or dug, electrically is being moved to another leg on the same transformer, and all ground work and tree cleanup needed there is in line with our normal trail maintenance work. There's even snowmaking pipe (albeit old and likely in need of repair) over there already. All work is being done in-house save for the small electrical tie-in from the carpet shack which is a non-issue for 250. All Tramway need sis engineering specs for slope, basic design & counterweight, followed of course by a live test but that's about the simplest process imaginable. It is not a large undertaking.

All in all, it's a great project to take on for this timeline. Relatively short money to gain all that space, user friendliness and progression. Also as financially sad as I am to see tubing go away, it was the biggest headache to operate on the mountain and I'm hopeful that the night park will see some heavy usage too. Lots of bigger mountains around that don't have anything to offer at night, so the potential there is considerable and IMO we just need to market it properly.

All in all it's been a pretty crazy summer but the guys are killing it in every arm of Ops despite the unique challenges 2020 has brought. I can't even imagine how well we'd be doing if we didn't have all this COVID mess to deal with, but that's a waste of brain space... We are way out in front, and everybody is firing on all cylinders to make sure we are as ready as possible for whatever this season ends up looking like. We've got a ton of small fun things to share with the public as the calendar crumbles, and will keep updating people on developments as we knock down our goals.

It's such a weird year, but we have got a great plan coming together. I'll try to keep people informed as best I can when I'm not snorkeling in mud rasslin' pipe or diggin out from under a paperworkalanche during a visit to my office.

Great update DW (and earlier, JM) - thanks. During a summer when many areas, even those of the evil empire and the borg, are sitting back literally watching the grass grow, Magic pushes forward. Can’t wait to see the volunteer day schedule. August is Saturday, time to start thinking about the upcoming season!

Do Work

Great update DW (and earlier, JM) - thanks. During a summer when many areas, even those of the evil empire and the borg, are sitting back literally watching the grass grow, Magic pushes forward. Can’t wait to see the volunteer day schedule. August is Saturday, time to start thinking about the upcoming season!

Always a pleasure. We definitely dialed back on a few things such as the Dam, but we shifted that focus to bolster our ability to adapt to whatever comes of the uncertainty ahead and improve the reliability of existing infrastructure for the most part. This handle tow project is a total bonus, and well ahead of our long term project schedule to expand that area but due to the dam being pushed back it gave an opportunity elsewhere. Lots of cool details still to be revealed too, we are looking at this crazy time as an opportunity- a weird one, but there is ALWAYS an opportunity to be had. The program we offered that jumped our pass sales in a massive way is a good example of how we are trying to turn this into a positive development and really showing our customers what's important to us--- THEM!

Volly days schedule will ALL be in the Hallows unless we make insane progress the first two days. Lots of cleanup needed in there. I've got some other projects I'd love to go after but time will tell.

slatham

Always a pleasure. We definitely dialed back on a few things such as the Dam, but we shifted that focus to bolster our ability to adapt to whatever comes of the uncertainty ahead and improve the reliability of existing infrastructure for the most part. This handle tow project is a total bonus, and well ahead of our long term project schedule to expand that area but due to the dam being pushed back it gave an opportunity elsewhere. Lots of cool details still to be revealed too, we are looking at this crazy time as an opportunity- a weird one, but there is ALWAYS an opportunity to be had. The program we offered that jumped our pass sales in a massive way is a good example of how we are trying to turn this into a positive development and really showing our customers what's important to us--- THEM!

Volly days schedule will ALL be in the Hallows unless we make insane progress the first two days. Lots of cleanup needed in there. I've got some other projects I'd love to go after but time will tell.

Hallows you say? I think we should also venture into the various Narnia’s, Glowstick, Asland, etc etc. And as I’ve been saying for a couple years now, Betwix needs to be pushed back to its rightful borders. Always happy to help, and if this work from home thing continues, they’ll be a lot of work from VT which means more time in the woods with saw and loppers!

hughconway

Act 250 signed off on the project without a filing given the non-invasive nature of it.

Pfister is on the Quad project so it will be done by the fall unless something catastrophic happens in testing/inspection. We will be doing the handle tow move and repair of pipe. Separate projects by different crews.

The pond was put off this year as it’s a major capital expense and with the uncertainty of this covid winter, you don’t want to risk spending huge amounts of capital (especially when we are doing so on Quad).

The pond as it is with the new pump at brook should “fill” our needs for this season.

Great news, and kudos to Magic for being open and honest about what is going on. There are a lot of people rooting for you guys to pull off all that you've tee'd up. Sure hope that rope gets spliced in the next week or so before I have to go back to making wildly accurate prognostications about the completion timeline. ;)

How does the removal of this dam on the brook where you guys pull your water to refill the snowmaking pond affect your access to water?

https://www.reformer.com/stories/trout-passage-reopened-by-removing-dam-at-magic-mountain,612459

JamaicaMan

Great news, and kudos to Magic for being open and honest about what is going on. There are a lot of people rooting for you guys to pull off all that you've tee'd up. Sure hope that rope gets spliced in the next week or so before I have to go back to making wildly accurate prognostications about the completion timeline. ;)

How does the removal of this dam on the brook where you guys pull your water to refill the snowmaking pond affect your access to water?

https://www.reformer.com/stories/trout-passage-reopened-by-removing-dam-at-magic-mountain,612459

Our weir board and brook pump system is unaffected by the dam removal.

Splicer has been booked for 9/17-18. November 15 target date for completion and fully load tested certification.[emoji120]

njdiver85

Current adult unlimited pass at Magic is $679. Is this price set to rise again at some point, and when is the last day you can buy a season pass there? Also, the site makes mention of early season prices with full prices crossed out in grey, or something like that, but I'm not seeing that.

JoeB-Z

I think that is the final price. Just a guess from previous years. I just paid the second half of my discounted pass today. Plus I paid for my locker last week. Now just trying to lose weight and get in shape.

JamaicaMan

Current adult unlimited pass at Magic is $679. Is this price set to rise again at some point, and when is the last day you can buy a season pass there? Also, the site makes mention of early season prices with full prices crossed out in grey, or something like that, but I'm not seeing that.

Pass prices go up on 10/16 to regular in-season price. $679 adult will go to $779

urungus

There are 5 non-gladed trails I haven’t had the nerve to try yet, in what order do you think they should be attempted ?

Red Line - seems doable from the Red chair with sufficient snow (I’ve already cut over from Black Line and done the bottom quarter of the double black section)
Magician - short trail but intimidating steep boulder strewn opening
Black Magic - narrow and cliffy from what I can see looking up from where Broomstick and Witch come in
Green Line - looks pretty steep from the Green Chair
Pitch Black - new trail