• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JoeB-Z

so, does magic open earlier than saturday given the storm? and do they open red? i hope the answers are no, and yes, so there is freshies waiting for a red chair debut on opening day. i'm in.

Looks like your wish is granted per today's snow report:

12/2 7am: Looks like we’ve picked up around 8-10″ since yesterday and it is lightly snowing. Another few inches is expected throughout the day today. This will certainly help as we prepare for opening weekend! Currently our plan is to open the ski area on Saturday Dec 7th for weekend-only until Dec 19th when we start our normal Thurs-Sunday schedule, plus holiday week of 12/26-1/5. We will not be open 12/24-25.
We had been making snow on Medium, Wand and Show Off since Friday to open skiing off the Green Lift. After this storm is done on Tuesday, we will make an assessment as to opening more terrain for the weekend. Remember, there is very little base on the mountain (especially on lower half) prior to this storm so depth and density of new snow will determine trail accessibility and any changes to opening day.

KustyTheKlown

Yep they just posted Saturday opening with red open. Bummed they only netted 13” while Stratton got 20+ but I can live with an ungroomed magic day Saturday and then Stratton woods Sunday. Stoked

KustyTheKlown

woooo yesterday magic posted that 17 trails will be open. thats up to 25 now including talisman, sorcerer, and goniff, almost all of the blues, the blue graded glades, and twilight zone. gonna be some fun skiing on saturday and won't even need to duck many ropes! stoked!

bdfreetuna

woooo yesterday magic posted that 17 trails will be open. thats up to 25 now including talisman, sorcerer, and goniff, almost all of the blues, the blue graded glades, and twilight zone. gonna be some fun skiing on saturday and won't even need to duck many ropes! stoked!

Try not to mess up Master Magician for everyone else this season.. since you're posting this blatantly in the Magic thread I wonder how they feel about this? By all means ski the woods but nobody likes a poacher who skis a trail off early.

KustyTheKlown

magician is the most unpoachable line in vermont maybe. its all jagged teeth.

i'm mainly referring to woods, not trails. specifically the hallows and the wardrobe. closed but accessible from sorcerer and talisman. will evaluate the coverage and take it from there.

bdfreetuna

magician is the most unpoachable line in vermont maybe. its all jagged teeth.

i'm mainly referring to woods, not trails. specifically the hallows and the wardrobe. closed but accessible from sorcerer and talisman. will evaluate the coverage and take it from there.

I would ski Hallows and Wardrobe any day as well. IMO tree skiing doesn't count as a poach it's fair game if you can access it. I was just ribbing you for announcing your poaching. Enjoy it up there.

I might go Saturday as well but I was really hoping they'd be open Friday, I assume Saturday will be lift lines. But my other option is Thursday Wachusett (on a Warren Miller ticket, and I have never been to Wachusett and never wanted to), so we'll see.

slatham

Wow great to hear they can get all those trails open. Sounds like a repeat of last years "soft opening". Lots of snow, terrain and fun. Just need to be alert, and on rock skis. Sorry I'm gonna miss it!

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

gotta be better for lift lines than stratton or mount snow will be. i intend to be there for first chair and hit it hard and early. got a cheapo room in manchester sat night. then stratton sunday. buddy skied stratton yesterday and his pics of the woods look tasty.

KustyTheKlown

Wow great to hear they can get all those trails open. Sounds like a repeat of last years "soft opening". Lots of fun, need to be alert, and need to be on rock skis. Sorry I'm gonna miss it!

i was 2nd chair for that anything goes opening last year. i'm on their promo video. love magic. so much.

my rock skis are my DPS after my moments died last year. i'm gonna shred them. oh well.

Smellytele

Try not to mess up Master Magician for everyone else this season.. since you're posting this blatantly in the Magic thread I wonder how they feel about this? By all means ski the woods but nobody likes a poacher who skis a trail off early.

There will be more snow. Poach and poach again. Early bird gets the worm. I blame no one but myself if someone skied off a trail before me.

crazy

Is poaching OK (as in everybody does it, no repercussions) at Magic? It sounds like the answer is yes, which is good to know. My friends and I are excited to check out Magic for the first time tomorrow.

KustyTheKlown

the only thing i'd strongly advise against poaching is upper magician. it's jagged and when it's closed it's really closed. i also think it would just be too ballsy and disrespectful to poach red line under the lift, or black line where they are constructing the new lift. "closed" woods are game on in my opinion.

i'd also avoid poaching green line. for one, the lift will be spinning. but mainly, its steep and rocky and you'll mess up your skis. i'd be wary of the woods on either side of green line as well for the same reasons.

dark blue pants, light blue jacket, black helmet with ski the east and WORTH stickers, brown DPS skis. holla

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Probably going to head up Sunday unless Berkshire East shows some expansion available tomorrow. 32 trails at Magic sounds like a winning proposition.

MMP

Ski patrol isn’t putting up with our bullshit anymore. Duck ropes at your own peril.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeB-Z

the only thing i'd strongly advise against poaching is upper magician. it's jagged and when it's closed it's really closed. i also think it would just be too ballsy and disrespectful to poach red line under the lift, or black line where they are constructing the new lift. "closed" woods are game on in my opinion.

i'd also avoid poaching green line. for one, the lift will be spinning. but mainly, its steep and rocky and you'll mess up your skis. i'd be wary of the woods on either side of green line as well for the same reasons.

dark blue pants, light blue jacket, black helmet with ski the east and WORTH stickers, brown DPS skis. holla

I don't mind if you poach Master Magician on the right (eastward side) It is an excellent challenge.