• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

Sounds pretty awesome for a place that has been dead and on life support for its entire existence to be installing 2 new lifts in 3 years. I hope to check it out some day

3 lifts - don't forget the Magic Carpet! And it was installed on time!

KustyTheKlown

ah cool. you prob know stoops' sister? keyboard player for a schwaggy jamband who i used to be somewhat close with. no animosity just lost touch. i think his sister runs whaleback?

Newpylong

Yes - Rebecca is the current GM.

Besides me just loving the mountain and what they are doing, Magic was very supportive when we were trying to get on the Freedom Pass a number of years ago and had numerous calls w/JamaicaMan to pick his brain over various items during my time there.

Slidebrook87

For me it’s not exactly about the fact that it wasn’t completed as it wasn’t completely under their control. It’s the fact that they promised it as a pass benefit for this season even though they didn’t know for sure if they could finish it for this season. They shouldn’t have pushed it so much if they weren’t certain it was going to be completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slidebrook87

get over it, dork. shit happens.

First of all, don’t call me a dork, second of all, sure, shit happens, but if they weren’t sure if it would be completed, they shouldn’t have advertised it all over on social media. As many have mentioned, it was a tight timeline, especially for a small mountain like Magic. They should’ve recognized this. If it was completed in time, great! Advertise it all they want, but if they’re not sure, they shouldn’t have acted like they were sure.

Domeskier

Having a second functioning summit lift was not a prerequisite for purchasing a season pass.

Sure, maybe for you. But for those of us who ski just to take the next lift ride, it's a major let down. It's like when the train schedule says a EMD RS1325 is coming by on the 4:10 express but all you get is an FM H12-44TS with retrofitted couplers. What's the use of train schedules if they can just switch things up like that on a whim? Who will take responsibility?!?!?!

icecoast1

First of all, don’t call me a dork, second of all, sure, shit happens, but if they weren’t sure if it would be completed, they shouldn’t have advertised it all over on social media. As many have mentioned, it was a tight timeline, especially for a small mountain like Magic. They should’ve recognized this. If it was completed in time, great! Advertise it all they want, but if they’re not sure, they shouldn’t have acted like they were sure.

The company that was supposed to do the install stopped showing up, how exactly is that Magics fault?

KustyTheKlown

its not. and i bet he doesnt even ski at magic. if he did he would realize how inconsequential the lift is to the day to day experience at magic. the only time that lift is 'needed' is on the busiest of busy days, that happen rarely.

and what do you expect magic to do from a social media and promotional perspective? not say anything about buying a lift from stratton and flying it across the valley. only announce the new lift when they are 100% sure of the installation timeline? it's absurd, and you sound like a spoiled little brat about it. stay at sugarbush and complain about their lift ops.

icecoast1

Sure, maybe for you. But for those of us who ski just to take the next lift ride, it's a major let down. It's like when the train schedule says a EMD RS1325 is coming by on the 4:10 express but all you get is an FM H12-44TS with retrofitted couplers. What's the use of train schedules if they can just switch things up like that on a whim? Who will take responsibility?!?!?!

You're comparing trains to a used fixed grip quad that is not even needed 95 percent of the time and doesnt prevent you from accessing any of magics terrain?

rocks860

This slidebrook87 certainly is a know it all pain in the ass huh?

Slidebrook87

its not. and i bet he doesnt even ski at magic. if he did he would realize how inconsequential the lift is to the day to day experience at magic. the only time that lift is 'needed' is on the busiest of busy days, that happen rarely.

and what do you expect magic to do from a social media and promotional perspective? not say anything about buying a lift from stratton and flying it across the valley. only announce the new lift when they are 100% sure of the installation timeline? it's absurd, and you sound like a spoiled little brat about it. stay at sugarbush and complain about their lift ops.

Where in any of my comments did I say it was crucial to the day to day experience at Magic. I have skied at Magic before by the way. All I’m saying is that if they weren’t sure they could complete it due to the difficult timeline, they shouldn’t have promoted it all over their Instagram. If something is promised, people expect it. To set the bar lower, they shouldn’t have promised it for this season.

bdfreetuna

First of all, don’t call me a dork

I thought you wanted to work in ski lift industry? Not sure if this is the best approach. Like, making a name for yourself being a PITA to ski area owners for problems most mature people happily give them a pass on. Didn't you see previous posts mentioning the shortage of ski lift installers? Wise up and recognize the opportunity. Being a nerd isn't a bad thing.

its not. and i bet he doesnt even ski at magic.

I bet he drives down from Sugarbush to ski Magic all the time. Oh wait, ... driving. Oops.

AdironRider

While there is no doubt the new ownership group is hands down better than the one before, they are still making some rookie mistakes.

Which makes it a good thing they have a faithful following, because if say Killington made a big stink about a new lift, then dropped the ball because they cheaped out on the sub to install and it got delayed an entire season, they'd get roasted for it, and rightfully so.

Plenty of other mom and pop shops buy used lifts and get them installed correctly and on time. Pat's Peak and Shawnee come to mind.

Domeskier

You're comparing trains to a used fixed grip quad that is not even needed 95 percent of the time and doesnt prevent you from accessing any of magics terrain?

We were promised rides on a black chair and a red chair. All we get is rides on a red chair. I don't sit out all day at the railroad crossing just to see some everyday workhorse chug through off-schedule, and I sure as heck don't subject myself to the hazards and risks of alpine skiing to ride only half the colored chairs I bargained for.

Slidebrook87

I am not spoiled and I am not a nerd. Please stop with this. When they build up so much “hype” around something like this new quad and promise it, they should be able to deliver on it. Clearly due to difficult circumstances they couldn’t. Okay. Why wasn’t an apology email sent out to their pass holders or at least a note. At least Win did something like this when he stopped running GMX midweek. Until recently it was all a mystery and the lift was still expected to open for this year. I actually had a part in the planning of this process back in 2018. It’s a long story, but I’ve been following this whole project for awhile now and care about it.