• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

twinplanx

Dude, GO TO HICKORY. The ride up is almost as eventful as the ride down, it's awesome.
Hickory didn't open this year, as far as I know. Maybe those Pomas are available? Though I'd hate to lose such a unique ski hill...

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

twinplanx

I hate to tell you twin, believe me I hate to...
Are you saying its done, Harvey? It's a place I passed by on my way to Gore plenty of times before I actually took the turn one day after hearing tales from people like yourself. It was a wet spring like day and there was really only one good way down but it was a blast! I could of counted the people there on my hands, felt like I knew there names by the end of the day. Weirdest thing I remember was my credit card receipt had a Texas address... I would love to have had a chance to check out there glades. Man did they seem intriguing! Idk maybe because you had to ski up it really didn't seem small either. What a shame! Is there any hope of revitalizing? Too bad Lake George is such a ghost town in the winter...

twinplanx

I hate to tell you twin, believe me I hate to...
Are you saying its done, Harvey? It's a place I passed by on my way to Gore plenty of times before I actually took the turn one day after hearing tales from people like yourself. It was a wet spring like day and there was really only one good way down but it was a blast! I could of counted the other people there on my hands including staff. It felt like I knew there names by the end of the day. Weirdest thing I remember was my credit card receipt had a Texas address... I would love to have had a chance to check out there glades. Man did they seem intriguing! Idk maybe because you had to ski up it really didn't seem small either. What a shame! Is there any hope of revitalizing? Too bad Lake George is such a ghost town in the winter...

JamaicaMan

Sunshine Corner right there...Patrol shack for early season Green Chair-only access (yes, completing that beauty this summer) and then later season SC “shenanigans shack”

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Are you saying its done, Harvey? It's a place I passed by on my way to Gore plenty of times before I actually took the turn one day after hearing tales from people like yourself. It was a wet spring like day and there was really only one good way down but it was a blast! I could of counted the other people there on my hands including staff. It felt like I knew there names by the end of the day. Weirdest thing I remember was my credit card receipt had a Texas address... I would love to have had a chance to check out there glades. Man did they seem intriguing! Idk maybe because you had to ski up it really didn't seem small either. What a shame! Is there any hope of revitalizing? Too bad Lake George is such a ghost town in the winter...

Hickory has a scale issue. The infrastructure can't transport enough skier visits for the ski area to make sense financially.

I'm extremely glad I got there the few times I did.

IceEidolon

While that is true and there are many parasitic variables we do have much higher sustained GPM now that we changed out our base area piping to all 8" with minimized angles. Our new air center will be huge in being able to open early, our increased gallonage will be huge in keeping that pace up and trail count blossoming now that we have tracked down all the major air leaks. Know anybody looking to get rid of any baby ratnik sleds btw? (Baby X2s)
750 gets you 15 GPM Stage 1 for 50 guns ideal. You're absolutely right that to run fans or Rats you'd need to reserve water or air, and once you see 18 F you'll have to drop guns to keep pressure as Deck 2 comes on.
I'm used to opening terrain with 25+ WB, and I didn't consider colder temperatures. Still, a few more 10' Impulse sleds or fixed towers on Plan A Green Lift terrain wouldn't hurt.

I'm curious why y'all are going for older Baby SG2+2 over SR15, Omicron doubles, and the other used big air options - I like Ratniks myself, I just figured new generation Baby SG2+2 or Baby Triples would be more efficient if you were staying (almost) all Ratnik.

Edit: I meant to cite the comment Do Work responded to.

JoeB-Z

Good news in an Alpine Update. Green Chair work starts next week and finishes late June! Also an announcement re Black Chair soon.

slatham

Good news in an Alpine Update. Green Chair work starts next week and finishes late June! Also an announcement re Black Chair soon.

Don't forget the pond work! That's a game changer. They were shut down several times this past winter due to lack of water in the pond and the typically strong mountain drainage "recharge" freezing up. If I recall the pond work will double (or more) the available water. That'll be huge.

The other thing that will be key is they should have the snowmaking system ready to go from day 1 (whatever day ma nature says) vs. last year where they were still doing pipe work, didn't have the new electric compressors, etc. Combine this with the Green chair and all of a sudden Magic is an early season option.

Don't forget the pond work! That's a game changer. They were shut down several times this past winter due to lack of water in the pond and the typically strong mountain drainage "recharge" freezing up. If I recall the pond work will double (or more) the available water. That'll be huge.

The other thing that will be key is they should have the snowmaking system ready to go from day 1 (whatever day ma nature says) vs. last year where they were still doing pipe work, didn't have the new electric compressors, etc. Combine this with the Green chair and all of a sudden Magic is an early season option.

So awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

p_levert

The good news is that the Green chair will be complete by July 1. I'm not sure what JM is saying about the black:

"We've also put a lot of money into repairing the Black Summit Lift over the last two seasons with a bit of a mixed operating performance record. We will have important information on our plans for this lift shortly, so stay tuned. But our goal is to improve summit access reliabilty and capacity to keep our lines to a minimum while keeping our slopes open and uncrowded."

I dunno, JM might just say that they have given up on repairing and there will be a new lift for 2019/2020. Something like that could happen.

tumbler

The good news is that the Green chair will be complete by July 1. I'm not sure what JM is saying about the black:

"We've also put a lot of money into repairing the Black Summit Lift over the last two seasons with a bit of a mixed operating performance record. We will have important information on our plans for this lift shortly, so stay tuned. But our goal is to improve summit access reliabilty and capacity to keep our lines to a minimum while keeping our slopes open and uncrowded."

I dunno, JM might just say that they have given up on repairing and there will be a new lift for 2019/2020. Something like that could happen.

With all the lift work at Kildo maybe they can pick up a cheap used one. Too bad it wasnt a few years earlier, the old Valley House double from SB would have been perfect.