• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
ski magic is certainly here to make a profit while maintaining our operating capital reserves for those literally “rainy day” seasons. But for magic to have a successful business model as a smaller player in this highly competitive and “no growth” industry, we are committed to a different experience from that the ski industry has been inexorably moving toward for decades. Since we are not a mega resort, why be like them and drive excessive volume/profits on already busy profitable days at the expense of an experience our customers will enjoy and then hopefully return again to see us on other days we are less busy?

Balance. We know the numbers where we can be profitable. We also know the customer experience we want. Magic will leave some short-term money on the table to have an experience that we believe will create long-term loyalty from customers for a unique community experience.

Guess we’ll see if it works! #bedifferent #thinkdifferent

sent from my iphone using alpinezone

ftw.

sull1102

Thanks for the response JamaicaMan.

It's all about finding the proper balance. Showing up at Magic Mtn on a beautiful day and really stoked to ski, it's a major bummer to be turned away. And being turned away doesn't really build brand loyalty, it just makes you avoid Magic on Saturday. So maybe the correct balance point is 2500 day passes or even 3000. Just saying.

OTOH, I do think it's very clever that season passholders are not subject to the daily limit, so a nice way to goose season pass sales.[/

Interestingly, that is NOT the case about people avoiding it if turned away. People now call ahead and make sure to show early once they learn we have it. Actually drives interest.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
I could see it. People want what they can't have and "OMG there were so many people at Magic I NEED to get in there tomorrow" is exactly what you want to hear.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

JamaicaMan

Be a lot cheaper if we just had to draw a line too

slatham

Be a lot cheaper if we just had to draw a line too

But think of all the fun you'll have pouring concrete on Black Magic, flying in towers, pulling cable! I mean you don't want to just play golf all summer do you JM?

tumbler

But think of all the fun you'll have pouring concrete on Black Magic, flying in towers, pulling cable! I mean you don't want to just play golf all summer do you JM?

Make the helicopter days an event, people will come watch, eat and drink...

sull1102

Looking good guys! Also sets up the main lift up nicely to serve well in a very, very rosey distant future someday maybe, ya never know it could happen...

NYDB

Based on the 5/22 communication from Magic it looks like they 'hope' to get the new Black line chair running for winter 18/19. Doesn't sound good to me. I 'hope' I am wrong about that.

prsboogie

Based on the 5/22 communication from Magic it looks like they 'hope' to get the new Black line chair running for winter 18/19. Doesn't sound good to me. I 'hope' I am wrong about that.
Sounds like they don't want to promise something they are not 100% sure the can deliver on. I have no problem with that

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

JoeB-Z

I suspect Act 250 permits take time and can run into snags. Once the Green lift is in it will help a lot.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I suspect Act 250 permits take time and can run into snags. Once the Green lift is in it will help a lot.

Well, if they are replacing the Black, then they may be able to do it without a permit. Unless the rules have changed. They are replacing an existing lift.

jaytrem

Well, if they are replacing the Black, then they may be able to do it without a permit. Unless the rules have changed. They are replacing an existing lift.

Lengthening it at the top might require more permits than a direct replacement. Probably worth the extra hassle though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Lengthening it at the top might require more permits than a direct replacement. Probably worth the extra hassle though.

Right. I think that the impacted area is very minor. The permit review will be done by the local review board and state district. I imagine that the town will be in favor.

benski

I think your correct, new lifts also are typically wider than old ones, so it might not be possible for many ski area to avoid getting permits.