• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

Working skier right of lower Black Magic:
9ef56a7243315bb773b0963eaf25175d.jpg

Middle HOM.

9aeb158092e9cc4749f4b657b183c7df.jpg

6627ad480c57636cf1a76daf637fd588.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do Work

Working skier right of lower Black Magic:
9ef56a7243315bb773b0963eaf25175d.jpg

Middle HOM.

9aeb158092e9cc4749f4b657b183c7df.jpg

6627ad480c57636cf1a76daf637fd588.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't wait to get into the last work day. Soooo much cleanup has happened this year, I am so stoked for the pow days to begin!

MG Skier

Wish I could have made one, not available on weekends for 3 more weeks. I understand the push to be done....... due to a hopeful early opening!

Killingtime

I can't wait to get into the last work day. Soooo much cleanup has happened this year, I am so stoked for the pow days to begin!

I have a feeling you will be busy this year. More than one person has asked me what I know about Magic. I think a lot of people didn't even realize its in Vermont. Whatever you are doing it is starting to get noticed (maybe not a great thing for some of us?). I always try to go to a few new places each year to mix it up. Except for Breckenridge in Feb 2019, I'm really pumped about hitting Magic for the first time. Good job guys.

p_levert

How is the green lift installation going? Will it be available in early Dec, as planned?

JamaicaMan

How is the green lift installation going? Will it be available in early Dec, as planned?

It’s coming along nicely but definitely a few weeks more of work and inspections, including load test, as we target late November

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Do Work

I have a feeling you will be busy this year. More than one person has asked me what I know about Magic. I think a lot of people didn't even realize its in Vermont. Whatever you are doing it is starting to get noticed (maybe not a great thing for some of us?). I always try to go to a few new places each year to mix it up. Except for Breckenridge in Feb 2019, I'm really pumped about hitting Magic for the first time. Good job guys.

Honestly, I understand the concern for Magic becoming crowded, but let me tell you how hard we are working to mitigate the influx of people and preserve that experience that everyone is looking for at Magic.

First, we have been aggressively cleaning out all of our existing older glades that have fallen out of usage due to a lack of maintenance- and there are a ton of them even with all the efforts in the past few years. Old work roads, locals cuts, side trails etc... LOTS of stuff to open up over the next few years without even looking at new areas. The goal is to add a handful of "new" terrain (that isn't actually new but you get the idea) every year for the next several years to keep expanding what is available as we add new skiers and riders. There will be more to ski and more to love ALL OVER the place. That isn't even getting into proposed expansions, but those are still a secret for now ;-)

Second, we are adding lifts but keeping a keen eye on uphill capacity and *where* the skiers are being dropped. The Green Chair will really change things in a big way both for beginner/intermediate access but also in terms of customer service- race tickets will now only be good on Green, keeping those huge groups from messing with a busy Red Chair queue. Also, lots of terrain accessible from the Green has been cleaned out, meaning that there is some REALLY good terrain over there- I know a lot of people already saying they're going to be lapping the Green on a pow day after the requisite couple runs on the West Side.

Also, we limit day passes sold on any given day. The set number will change slightly now that we will be adding the Green Chair, but we are dead set on keeping our wait times down even if it means impacting our maximum profits a bit as our dedicated following grows. Obviously season pass holders and pre-buyers have nothing to worry about, but it really does help keep the crowds manageable, and the experience reliable Magical. I'm not aware of ANY mountain that cares this much about the customer experience.

So don't fret, my man. We are doing everything we can possibly imagine to preserve the experience that makes Magic special. Things HAVE to change obviously, but we are taking great effort- and at great expense- to ensure that what draws people to Magic is still a thing even years and years down the road. We are all here specifically because we are in love with the Magic Way, and every single one of us is working to keep it special. We appreciate the hell out of all the love we get back from tMagic's patrons and love that the people appreciate the effort to preserve this way of life and skiing niche.

drjeff

Honestly, I understand the concern for Magic becoming crowded, but let me tell you how hard we are working to mitigate the influx of people and preserve that experience that everyone is looking for at Magic.

First, we have been aggressively cleaning out all of our existing older glades that have fallen out of usage due to a lack of maintenance- and there are a ton of them even with all the efforts in the past few years. Old work roads, locals cuts, side trails etc... LOTS of stuff to open up over the next few years without even looking at new areas. The goal is to add a handful of "new" terrain (that isn't actually new but you get the idea) every year for the next several years to keep expanding what is available as we add new skiers and riders. There will be more to ski and more to love ALL OVER the place. That isn't even getting into proposed expansions, but those are still a secret for now ;-)

Second, we are adding lifts but keeping a keen eye on uphill capacity and *where* the skiers are being dropped. The Green Chair will really change things in a big way both for beginner/intermediate access but also in terms of customer service- race tickets will now only be good on Green, keeping those huge groups from messing with a busy Red Chair queue. Also, lots of terrain accessible from the Green has been cleaned out, meaning that there is some REALLY good terrain over there- I know a lot of people already saying they're going to be lapping the Green on a pow day after the requisite couple runs on the West Side.

Also, we limit day passes sold on any given day. The set number will change slightly now that we will be adding the Green Chair, but we are dead set on keeping our wait times down even if it means impacting our maximum profits a bit as our dedicated following grows. Obviously season pass holders and pre-buyers have nothing to worry about, but it really does help keep the crowds manageable, and the experience reliable Magical. I'm not aware of ANY mountain that cares this much about the customer experience.

So don't fret, my man. We are doing everything we can possibly imagine to preserve the experience that makes Magic special. Things HAVE to change obviously, but we are taking great effort- and at great expense- to ensure that what draws people to Magic is still a thing even years and years down the road. We are all here specifically because we are in love with the Magic Way, and every single one of us is working to keep it special. We appreciate the hell out of all the love we get back from tMagic's patrons and love that the people appreciate the effort to preserve this way of life and skiing niche.

As the parent of 2 racers, do you still plan on using Talisman for the older kids (U14's and up) or will all racing now be done on Showoff with access via the Green? Given what an AWESOME slalom hill tali is for the older kids, I sure hope that timing system will be used on it this winter! Regardless, myself, and I know many other racer parents will be buying full area tickets when we watch our kids race, and also, if the racing will only be on Showoff now, not worry as much about our kids and their at times, refusal to either wait for their team coat bags to come down after their run, or insist that they don't need to put a coat on overt their race suits and then go ride the Red on a cold windy day! ;-)

JamaicaMan

As the parent of 2 racers, do you still plan on using Talisman for the older kids (U14's and up) or will all racing now be done on Showoff with access via the Green? Given what an AWESOME slalom hill tali is for the older kids, I sure hope that timing system will be used on it this winter! Regardless, myself, and I know many other racer parents will be buying full area tickets when we watch our kids race, and also, if the racing will only be on Showoff now, not worry as much about our kids and their at times, refusal to either wait for their team coat bags to come down after their run, or insist that they don't need to put a coat on overt their race suits and then go ride the Red on a cold windy day! ;-)

Talisman is a go for U14 race on President Day Monday. That’s one great race trail.

MG Skier

JamaicaMan and Do Work.....

There is a reason I purchased a Blackout Pass at Magic for this year! Your updates are awesome and I enjoy the transparency on what is up and where things stand etc. Looking forward to meeting both of you this season!

I was hooked last year! (The powder was an added bonus!) Keep it up!

The presence of the Green Chair is a complete game changer! Looking forward to seeing that registration!

It was cold enough for snow in about all fNew England last night.

-Cheers!

drjeff

Talisman is a go for U14 race on President Day Monday. That’s one great race trail.

AWESOME!! Can't wait for it, and let's hope that mother nature is about 1,000,0001 times more cooperative for getting a race for the kids on Tali this year than last year!!

Do Work

There is a reason I purchased a Blackout Pass at Magic for this year! Your updates are awesome and I enjoy the transparency on what is up and where things stand etc. Looking forward to meeting both of you this season!

The presence of the Green Chair is a complete game changer! Looking forward to seeing that registration!

-Cheers!

We sincerely appreciate your investment and will be working as hard as possible towards earning you as a season pass holder one day! 👍🏻

Do Work

Offering Talisman as a reliable race venue in the future is a huge goal of ours. As we nail down all the shortcomings of our system, being able to get West faster for that very reason is a large component of why. The huge jump in challenge from anywhere else around embodies so much of what Magic stands for, and is a race course like none other in southern VT.

JoeB-Z

Races on Talisman are fun to watch. The steeper pitch at the bottom of the course is a challenge if the racers haven't kept a little in the tank or get over ambitious.

JamaicaMan

-Cheers!

Thanks for buying a pass! Come see me at the office...
IMG_1540178078.048671.jpg

BenedictGomez

The presence of the Green Chair is a complete game changer!

What is the point of the Green Chair, exactly? I feel like I must be missing something.

Is it a chair primarily for beginners & lower-intermediates so they can better lap that terrain without having to go to the top?

IceEidolon

There are several things the Green Chair is supposed to be. It'll provide (most) racers a faster route up with shorter lines, it'll take beginners and intermediates to some excellent beginner/intermediate terrain on busy days, and it'll allow an earlier more aggressive opening plan because the Green chair can be mostly served by new low energy HKD snowguns that Magic has been installing, rather than old school Ratniks that cover much of the areas above Sunrise Corner. That'll come into play more in future as more water capacity comes online. Right now that's a big deal mostly for local families, race teams, and the like.

Depending how the Magic team decides to play their hand, it might mean snowmaking priorities change a bit but that one we'll have to wait and see.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

Do Work

^

It also serves some of the best tree skiing on the mountain (don't tell anyone though haha). On a pow day you may be surprised to see the people lapping Green after they've had a few runs on the West Side. I love the East Side trees!

Big Game

There are several things the Green Chair is supposed to be....it'll take beginners and intermediates to some excellent beginner/intermediate terrain on busy days

My first time at Magic last year and I was blown away how the cruisers are really some of the best around. I went to Magic for the trees and steeps. I expected them to be awesome and they were awesome. The surprise was really good cruisers. And most Magic users are hitting the steeps. So what that means is you find corduroy after lunch. I would absolutely recommend Magic for the beginner skier over some of the more crowded places. Lots of room. Few traverses. No idiots blasting by. And the Green Chair only makes it better.