• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JamaicaMan

Good question- we wondered the same. Did not investigate but it does look like a traverse may have been cut over from Witch or upper, closed section of Red Line? Do Work or Jamaica Man will have to chime in (or someone who has hiked into that area)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Access for equipment for trail clearing

slatham

First volunteer day this Saturday 9/14 (others are the 28th and 10/12). If you want to learn some of the mountains secrets, you have to help create (or clean) them! Good group of peeps plus beers, burgers, and inside scoop from JM & Do Work. And of course much anticipation for an awesome winter.

MG Skier

First volunteer day this Saturday 9/14 (others are the 28th and 10/12). If you want to learn some of the mountains secrets, you have to help create (or clean) them! Good group of peeps plus beers, burgers, and inside scoop from JM & Do Work. And of course much anticipation for an awesome winter.

I wish I could make it. I teach fall competitive marching band....please let me know if you do a Sunday.

urungus

Just to clue everyone in ... NY Dirtbag’s “Pitch Black” was chosen as the name of the new double black diamond trail

p_levert

Just to clue everyone in ... NY Dirtbag’s “Pitch Black” was chosen as the name of the new double black diamond trail

I'm guessing that other people suggested Pitch Black as well.

If NYDB was truly the only one, well, then he should be suitably praised and given some sort of freebie.

slatham

I'm guessing that other people suggested Pitch Black as well.

If NYDB was truly the only one, well, then he should be suitably praised and given some sort of freebie.

No there were multiple people who suggested Pitch Black (or Pitched Black). They then ran a survey for season pass holders (or was it the full mailing list?) and Pitch Black was voted the winner.

NYDB

No there were multiple people who suggested Pitch Black (or Pitched Black). They then ran a survey for season pass holders (or was it the full mailing list?) and Pitch Black was voted the winner.

I don't see any references to Pitch Black trail name prior to my 7/1/19 post. Everyone else (the 18 people who read alpinezone) just copied off my brilliant idea.

Newpylong

There are several East Side trails with even less reference. Sometimes you run out of suitable strictly themed names and need to branch out, slightly.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Big slabs of snow that sit for weeks on random trails are essentially monuments to wasted money, so learning the ways the mountain needs and holds snow is pretty important to making smart decisions in succession and not every trail needs or should have X amount.

This is something I have always wondered about. If I was in charge it would keep me up at night.

slatham

Good turnout for VD#1 given an off weekend (not summer, not foliage season) and rain forecasted (very little/non factor). Probably a dozen guys/gals plus 6 or so kids were up on the Mountain. Rangers shuttled people up to top of Red and we spent 5 hours heading down the east side. First shot is a new glade that ops team had already chain sawed.

c5c0237c25f2701ec6fd89387b9f3a57.jpg

3cc34b748e259958acb8307f12f820bf.jpg

We also cleared a small line to skiers left of the larger area they had chain sawed. The exit is a little tight....

e09dc700b12b452a82bce1aa302ccdbf.jpg

We then headed down to another new glade where they had chain sawed the bigger stuff. Small entry widens out with another quick hitter. Cliff bands skiers right (to left on pic). Definite huck potential once snow has filled in. This one is easy to find as long as you take a green “through the woods” hint hint.....

3ab2ffca83fea0e09d645476ac6aa9ee.jpg

We then hit Wishbone to clear out fallen trees etc. and widen it in a few spots. Same for White Kitten. Below that we went into another unnamed glade that I hadn’t skied in a few years and was amazed at how cleared out in had become. We furthered that cause and it’s tops on my list for this season.

Finished up in Disappearing Act and cleared out some fallen trees.

We then enjoyed some free beer and burgers (pic from Magic)....

64ee643a28de4e473dac54717f761f63.jpg

Some action on the Quad as they were working on the two base terminal supports. Looks like those will go in soon. Also looks like all the towers are painted in the lot. Still some cement work needed on a few of the tower bases in steeper area. Fingers crossed they can get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machski

Magic Throwback cards (which allow you to purchase lift tickets for $29) are now on sale. First 100 are only $99. Took me a couple attempts as the server is overloaded this morning.
https://magicmtn.com/product/throwback-card/
Magic updated on FB that due to the server overload, they are going over the 100 at that price and will offer Throwback cards at $99 ALL DAY TODAY, not limiting the #!!!

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app