• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

bdfreetuna

Magic isn't good enough to pull this indefinitely. Hence why they have closed how many times?

You're busy skiing Jackson and "Magic isn't good enough" so why do you care if they charge full price on powder days? Somehow your advice doesn't come across as purely altruistic.

I say if we ban charging regular price on powder days (instead of a discounted rate) we ought to ban $199 College Kid season passes and $29 Ladies Days first. I have yet to see any resort offer a discount for being a mid-30s uneducated male, very sad.

AdironRider

You're busy skiing Jackson and "Magic isn't good enough" so why do you care if they charge full price on powder days? Somehow your advice doesn't come across as purely altruistic.

I say if we ban charging regular price on powder days (instead of a discounted rate) we ought to ban $199 College Kid season passes and $29 Ladies Days first. I have yet to see any resort offer a discount for being a mid-30s uneducated male, very sad.

What? I don't work in the industry or have any skin in the game at all. I'm just continually amazed with how much shit Magic gets away with because you think they are cool. NO other established resort could pull this without getting eviscerated on social media, in reviews, and public opinion. Name one other resort that could?

But hey, keep on keeping on, I'm not one to tell someone how to spend their money.

urungus

Except the holiday rate is a given, before they even open for the season.

Plan a trip to magic and it snows, your family trip just got 200 bucks more expensive, completely unplanned and you wouldn't know until what, two hours at best before they open?

Who plans a big family trip and doesn’t get their lift tickets in advance?

And for the folks getting in the car that morning, they would know before they hit the road whether it was a Powder day not.

AdironRider

Who plans a big family trip and doesn’t get their lift tickets in advance?

And for the folks getting in the car that morning, they would know before they hit the road whether it was a Powder day not.

The vast majority of skiers that aren't passholders don't prepay. Don't confuse a ski message board for the everyday populace.

bdfreetuna

Everyday populace did vote Magic #1 in the East last year though. I'm not sure if skier buzz and social media is an area they are failing in.

That said you may be right in the long run I would imagine the policy will bug enough people they'll find a way to at least re-word the whole thing, if not do away completely. I would also imagine their long term plan is to be open every day of the week so Thursdays would be a little less special.

AdironRider

Hah, yeah and Holiday Valley is always in the top 5 also. I don't think Magic is failing in social media, they just get away with it for some reason. That was my point.

No doubt the Magic faithful support the place, which is good. This is the owners taking advantage of that fact to make more money, which is bad.

The smarter play would be just raise midweek pricing 5 bucks across the board and no one blinks an eye.

bdfreetuna

I think Magic walk up rate is $74 this coming year weekdays and weekends. Going off memory last year it was $59 weekday and $69 weekend (correct me if I'm wrong).

Doesn't make complete sense to me but they have enough pass options and 4-packs etc so nobody need pay full price even on pow days. There are also Ski Vermont passes and hopefully good deals on the Ride and Ski New England Card this year ;)

urungus

The vast majority of skiers that aren't passholders don't prepay. Don't confuse a ski message board for the everyday populace.

Except we are talking about people planning a big family trip ... do you really have evidence that “the vast majority” of such people do not buy their lift tickets in advance? Do such people also buy their plane tickets at the counter at the airport?

I just don’t think there is a large group of people out there, who are clued in enough to both want to go to Magic, and to know about the discounted Thursday rate, but at the same time are clueless about the Powder Day exclusion and will be angry when they show up one one of those rare days.

slatham

Except the holiday rate is a given, before they even open for the season.

Plan a trip to magic and it snows, your family trip just got 200 bucks more expensive, completely unplanned and you wouldn't know until what, two hours at best before they open?

Lots of other folks would be getting in a car that morning. I wouldn't be thrilled to show up and the price just jumped over 100%.

Magic isn't good enough to pull this indefinitely. Hence why they have closed how many times?

As of this very moment the Magic website states the rates for 2018/19: Daily Adult Tickets are $74.

The web site has a separate "Specials Section" that states that Specials Pricing is not applicable on holiday's and Throwback Thursday pricing is not applicable on Powder Days of 6" or more. Looked at literally, the rate is $74, but the mountain may offer a special discount by offering a Throwback Thursday, and they announce well in advance whether that special pricing will be in place.

Its not $29, and they may jack it up. Its $74, and they offer a special.

They also offer you the option to buy online and save. Buy a ticket in advance online at $29 and you are set. Full stop.

And don't confuse this management team and investor group with any of the prior owners, it just shows you don't know much about the place.

jaytrem

Not so sure of that any more. Seems like when ever I'm in line to get a lift ticket, most people, including myself, already purchased from liftopia or direct from the resort. Of course ski/stay packages are prepaid. And more people than ever are passholders of some type, Vail sold like a gazillion Epic passes last year. I'd love to know the % of skiers days that are prepaid these days. Gotta think it's a huge increase from 5 years ago.

bdfreetuna

Its not $29, and they may jack it up. Its $74, and they offer a special.

Right, important distinction. Although some ppl will still be caught off guard and pay full price unexpectedly, it's not gouging or even slightly unethical.

They also offer you the option to buy online and save. Buy a ticket in advance online at $29 and you are set. Full stop.

Good to remember!

cdskier

I have yet to see any resort offer a discount for being a mid-30s uneducated male, very sad.

There are resorts with passes out there for that age range. Sugarbush has one. Stowe had one pre-Vail for about a year or two. I haven't looked, but there could be others.

I think that is absolutely untrue at least in the Northeast. I've been pre-paying whenever I planned a trip since long before I discovered any ski message boards. And that was years ago. Now the paradigm has shifted even further away from people paying walk up rates to instead people that are pre-paying in some way, shape or form.

urungus

Switching gears ... hoping to tackle “Black Line” for the first time this year, how much harder is it than Heart of Magician or Talisman or Sorcerer? Last year I took Broomstick all the way over to the top of “Black Line” (before taking the unmarked connector back to HOM) and “Black Line” didn’t look exceptionally harder ... I think I heard there are a couple short cliffs near the end, but they can be skirted around to skier’s left? Wish I had been paying attention on the couple times I rode the Black Chair.

prsboogie

Hah, yeah and Holiday Valley is always in the top 5 also. I don't think Magic is failing in social media, they just get away with it for some reason. That was my point.

No doubt the Magic faithful support the place, which is good. This is the owners taking advantage of that fact to make more money, which is bad.

The smarter play would be just raise midweek pricing 5 bucks across the board and no one blinks an eye.
Couple things, if you don't like the pricing policy don't ski there.
Why are you twisted up about a place that offers deep discounts on a Thursday for those who are willing to head out in any condition but charge regular ticketing prices when every jack-off in the world wants to be the gnar fanboi skiing some of the best terrain in the East. And finally there is a major difference between a car dealer falsely advertising a vehicle for a specific price and then not having any available at said advertised price.

I've only skied Magic twice (which i need to remady this year) and both time I paid straight up window pricing, 29 and 70 with absolutely no regrets. Ski there don't ski there who really cares, but no one really gives a shit.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Do Work

What? I don't work in the industry or have any skin in the game at all. I'm just continually amazed with how much shit Magic gets away with because you think they are cool. NO other established resort could pull this without getting eviscerated on social media, in reviews, and public opinion. Name one other resort that could?

But hey, keep on keeping on, I'm not one to tell someone how to spend their money.

Ahahahaha this guy is losing it. Waaaaah I could sue in NH hahahahaha

I had no idea we were so cool!! Hahahaha this is awesome, I needed a laugh. Thanks, guy. You’re the real MVP today.

Do Work

Switching gears ... hoping to tackle “Black Line” for the first time this year, how much harder is it than Heart of Magician or Talisman or Sorcerer? Last year I took Broomstick all the way over to the top of “Black Line” (before taking the unmarked connector back to HOM) and “Black Line” didn’t look exceptionally harder ... I think I heard there are a couple short cliffs near the end, but they can be skirted around to skier’s left? Wish I had been paying attention on the couple times I rode the Black Chair.

You’ll be totally fine, the ledges are the only sketchy part. Far skiers’ left is a nice point-and-shoot (just send it, don’t try to turn) and the middle/right is all choose-your-own-adventure steep face, usually bumped up and sometimes a few rocks mixed in for fun. Once you do it once you’ll go back for more!

JamaicaMan

Hey, Matt, I hear there’s even a throwback card for $99-$149 (depending on how quickly you buy it starting on October 1) that gets you $29 any day you come, whether powder day, regular killer day or holiday. So, even though we need to make a little money to survive in a cost intensive business, these ultra finicky frugal guys can still do pretty damn well versus, say, just about every other ski area around us!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone