• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JamaicaMan

As always at Magic, the safe money is on Red.

Black always seems to be a bit of a long shot.

But we’ve already got a lot of money on it, so we are letting it ride!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

hughconway

I'm sure the people who invested in season passes with the promise of a reliable chairlift to the top will be thrilled to hear that the quad is now being considered a 'long shot' for this season. Bait & switch much?

In the (likely?) event that this chairlift will not be ready, will Magic be willing to refund season pass holders? What about the people who purchase 'White Out' passes so they can actually ski on holiday weekends instead of spending half of their day waiting in a liftline?

I spoke with a friend who is a Magic 'regular' last night and skis there with his family every weekend and he mentioned that they usually give up on skiing and hit the bar on holiday weekends around 10am due to long lift lines when the red double is the only way to the top of the mountain.

JamaicaMan

I'm sure the people who invested in season passes with the promise of a reliable chairlift to the top will be thrilled to hear that the quad is now being considered a 'long shot' for this season. Bait & switch much?

In the (likely?) event that this chairlift will not be ready, will Magic be willing to refund season pass holders? What about the people who purchase 'White Out' passes so they can actually ski on holiday weekends instead of spending half of their day waiting in a liftline?

I spoke with a friend who is a Magic 'regular' last night and skis there with his family every weekend and he mentioned that they usually give up on skiing and hit the bar on holiday weekends around 10am due to long lift lines when the red double is the only way to the top of the mountain.

Just a long shot for Christmas week which was the original install goal although that’s still the objective of the contractor. So my conservative bet would be in early January, in time for the big MLK weekend, similar to Green Lift last year.

Red and Green will keep us going like last year until it’s ready but it is coming. Sorry I can’t give you an exact date as just too many variables as we’ve seen all along the way with an install this big. So that’s my skepticism for Christmas week. But will keep everyone posted as we know more from our contractors. (And despite the increase in budget, money is not slowing the project at all—purely logistical issues relating to the difficult terrain and a few sub contractor issues.)

Never a dull moment.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Just curious as to where you're hearing that the new Black Quad likely won't be ready for this season at all?

All of the information that I have seen Magic themselves post is saying essentially early January. That's 10 weeks from now. That's plenty of time to get the lift up and running. Towers, drives, haul rope, com lines, and hanging chairs in the big scheme of things doesn't take very long to do. Once the last of the footings is poured and properly cured, the finished product comes together fairly quickly

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

A ski resort with long lift lines during a holiday week? Your gonna bitch about this? Come on man.....every ski resort has long lines during holiday weeks. Somebody seems awful entitled, come back to the real world.

BenedictGomez

A ski resort with long lift lines during a holiday week? Your gonna bitch about this? Come on man.....every ski resort has long lines during holiday weeks. Somebody seems awful entitled, come back to the real world.

He specifically mentioned the friend gives up skiing holiday weekends back when the red chair was the only thing running. That's not a crazy position to have.

skithetrees

Lol. I don’t ski anywhere holiday weeks for this very reason. If you think Magic is unique you are delusional. Either way, I would still rather ski at Magic down a lift on a holiday than anywhere else. At least I won’t have to worry about some Joey on a crowded slope hitting me or my kids although it does seem that some show up every year.

Killingtime

Hahaha yeah I've given up once or twice at K on a Presidents Day weekend and just chilled back at the condo in front of the tv. It comes with the territory sometimes but I understand his frustration. More motivation to get out super early and hit it before the crowds show up.

MG Skier

So, I bought a Blackout Pass at Magic last season 18-19, even after the old Black Chair gave up the ghost. Ironically the times I had to ski were holiday periods. (I agree skiing the holidays can be tricky. Hell, I am usually at Jay on Holidays....WOWZAH talk about lines!)

OK, so Green took a little longer, think of it like buying a partially restored car in boxes, it takes a while to sort it all out, redo what work was done, and then make it a turn key and inspected lift etc. It significantly was a game changer for Magic and the line at Red once Green was spinning.

As far as Black goes, I like to think my Full Season Pass helped "grease the wheels on the sheave trains" to make it happen for Magic this year. Lets hope weather cooperates, concrete does its curing thing and the remaining processes go smoothly. Hell, I am happy to ride Red and Green until St Pats if needed, but MLK weekend is fine with me.

I don't need high speed, sadly I need the recovery time on the chair.......hence Magic.

It took me a long time to find a place that I consider my home mountain. (And a tolerable 3 hour ride.)

Thanks Magic, hammer down and make it happen!

Last edited:

RustyGroomer

Love reading this MG Skier. We're gonna shred together this year.

Attachments

• MeGlades.jpg
    MeGlades.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Dave-19.jpg
    Dave-19.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 141

KustyTheKlown

i bought a magic 4 pack last week before the deadline

i am now ikon + magic 4 pack. i hope to round that out with a champlain valley card. then i'm done.

winter park 12/23-30 is booked and fully paid for. may do a day at copper if the new lift is running that week. we looked into dog sledding and were bummed to find that the local operation in winter park is closing, and they gave us strong words about not using their successor, claiming they mistreat the dogs. dont know if this is sour grapes or legit. we did dog sledding near breck last year and absolutely loved it. amazing experience. my non skier girlfriend really wants to do it again. she doesnt understand how big co is tho, and is now looking at next closest options, which are near steamboat, which would necessarily eat an entire ski day for me. really wishing we had a more local option. going back to breck could work i guess if i ski a morning only and we get a late afternoon sled ride.

utah 2/7-16 is booked and fully paid for (deer valley x 1, alta/bird x 4, brighton/solitude x2, powmow x 2). may split powmow and do 1 at snowbasin

will throw in a long weekend at a-basin or crystal, and i'll be all set.

i love paying for most of my season before it starts.

mgalluzz

Great idea to combo it up and let everyone enjoy. Can you pass info on the charity? Great to help people get out and enjoy winter.

Not sure if you caught this, but we recently announced the charity. It's Youth Enrichment Services (YES). They're based out of the Boston area (where we got our start) and they get hundreds of kids to the mountains each year. Hopefully with the money we raise they can get hundreds more! More details to come on how we're raising funds, but for now we linked their website on the event page: https://www.skinoboundaries.com/free-day

crazy

Not sure if you caught this, but we recently announced the charity. It's Youth Enrichment Services (YES). They're based out of the Boston area (where we got our start) and they get hundreds of kids to the mountains each year. Hopefully with the money we raise they can get hundreds more! More details to come on how we're raising funds, but for now we linked their website on the event page: https://www.skinoboundaries.com/free-day

I want to give a big thanks to you and to Magic for the free day in February. I'm excited to check out Magic.

Any idea about when you will post the 2019/2019 Ski No Boundaries deals?

slatham

Any coordination with local groups and/or schools for the local kids to take advantage?

mgalluzz

I want to give a big thanks to you and to Magic for the free day in February. I'm excited to check out Magic.

Any idea about when you will post the 2019/2019 Ski No Boundaries deals?

Thanks, we're excited too! We should have the weekend daily deals out by the beginning of November, but we'll have two ski and stay deals out within the next week (hopefully).

mgalluzz

Any coordination with local groups and/or schools for the local kids to take advantage?

I would love to do something like that with the local schools, just haven't had the time to coordinate anything yet. If you, or anyone, has any contacts that would be great.