• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

I'm confused. Doesn't a full mountain rental mean that a company is renting out the mountain to ski for the day? Wouldn't Thursday therefore be more tracked out than if nobody was skiing the mountain on Wednesday? Apologies if I've just mixed something up here.

More tracked out than if closed, less tracked out than a full on open to the public powder day. Or so goes my theory.....

Been wrong before, just ask JM about my weather forecasts!;-)

MEtoVTSkier

I'm confused. Doesn't a full mountain rental mean that a company is renting out the mountain to ski for the day? Wouldn't Thursday therefore be more tracked out than if nobody was skiing the mountain on Wednesday? Apologies if I've just mixed something up here.

Less tracked out, than if it was open to the Public for a "Powder Day"

NYDB

No pow day opening on Wednesday as we have a full mountain rental with rk miles already scheduled for that day...it always seems to snow when they come.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

is there some schedule someplace that shows private event dates that are booked? It would be great to see these blacked out dates well in advance in the events calendar on the website.

Tremendous luck to hit back to back powder days.

JamaicaMan

is there some schedule someplace that shows private event dates that are booked? It would be great to see these blacked out dates well in advance in the events calendar on the website.

Tremendous luck to hit back to back powder days.

Another one 3/11. They were put on the calendar. Not sure why not showing up. Checking that now

JoeB-Z

JM- Calendar is not showing open on Monday 2/18. However, there is a race scheduled on Talisman.

tnt1234

OK! I'm hoping Saturday will be mine, and my youngest daughter's first day at Magic. We've been trying for the last three years, and every time we book a trip, weather screws us....and yet again, that might happen.

Looks like 9-12" from this storm, but Friday is iffy....so....

How early on a holiday Saturday do they sell out? I realize there are no guarantees, but am I safe to wait until late friday evening to buy tickets online? Or will they pre- sell 1500 (is that the #?) before then?

Assuming this storm brings things back to life, and friday storm is all or mostly snow....where do we go first?!?!?! For reference, we love trees, and narrow NE bump runs....think Castle Rock, Goat, etc....

Really hope this works out - we're psyched to finally get there!

JimG.

Staff member
Sure Magic will work out for you, will probably get more snow than predicted.

Gonna be the same at K.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

NYDB

OK! I'm hoping Saturday will be mine, and my youngest daughter's first day at Magic. We've been trying for the last three years, and every time we book a trip, weather screws us....and yet again, that might happen.

How early on a holiday Saturday do they sell out? I realize there are no guarantees, but am I safe to wait until late friday evening to buy tickets online? Or will they pre- sell 1500 (is that the #?) before then?

Assuming this storm brings things back to life, and friday storm is all or mostly snow...
.where do we go first?!?!?! For reference, we love trees, and narrow NE bump runs....think Castle Rock, Goat, etc....

Suggestions for opening laps

Lap 1 - warmup on broomstick to HOM . Hop into hallows if you want to test the coverage in the trees.
Lap 2 - Witch/Goniff
Lap 3 - Whiteout/up your sleeve/Vertigo (nice fun mellow natural run) or if your feeling like lap 1 and 2 aren't challenging enough hit up Witch/Blackline
Lap 4 - Pixie Dust/Seance/White Kitten/Dissapearing act - Good fun easy tree runs top to bottom If you find there was good coverage after that run, do some exploring. As you know, there are tree shots everywhere.

have fun.

Do Work

Lap 4 - Pixie Dust/Seance/White Kitten/Dissapearing act - Good fun easy tree runs top to bottom

That's one of my favorite lines on the mountain right there. It doesn't need to be super deep to ski well and the powder hounds usually head west and don't pay the ES much mind. So much fun to relax a little bit and hop around through those playful lines hootin' and hollerin' without a care in the world.

T2B's like that are a huge reason we've been spending so much time revitalizing the east side trees in recent years. The flow has greatly improved and multiple options exist from just about anywhere. Like a choose-your-own-adventure book of powder and trees... It's kind of funny how much time I spend on the east side on a pow day given what the rest of the mountain is like- also how long after a storm I can STILL find fresh over there.

tnt1234

Thanks guys. Crossing fingers on this friday storm....hope to finally get there!

And hey - while I have you....any recommendations for dinner friday/sat. night?

last year we enjoyed Gringo jacks and will probably go back there again. Is the Raven's Den any good? Reviews seem mixed. Cooper Grouse looks great, but can't get in.

ShadyGrove

Thanks guys. Crossing fingers on this friday storm....hope to finally get there!

last year we enjoyed Gringo jacks and will probably go back there again. Is the Raven's Den any good? Reviews seem mixed. Cooper Grouse looks great, but can't get in.

It sounds like you are staying down in Manchester? If not, there are plenty of good options between Londonderry, Peru, and Winhall.

WoodCore

Is the Raven's Den any good? Reviews seem mixed. Cooper Grouse looks great, but can't get in.

A little pricey but never had a bad meal there. They make a good martini and have a nice salad bar.

JamaicaMan

Assuming this storm brings things back to life, and friday storm is all or mostly snow....where do we go first?!?!?! For reference, we love trees, and narrow NE bump runs....think Castle Rock, Goat, etc....

We never sell-out online. Only day-of walk-ups do we sell out. MLK was at 10:15am (ticket office opens at 8) so just be here early.

This storm only did 6-8” so East Side trees are the way to go. Lower angle is really skiing well. West Side natural steeps are thin as last week’s multiple hits of 2-3” rain storms wiped out a ton of base. Fun to ski with rock skis today but don’t take any new equipment out on steep all-natural stuff yet until we get another storm. Lots of coverage on snowmaking trails like upper Wiz Tali Trick Medium Wand Show Off Carumba Hocus Upper Carpet. Might even see a snow bar at Sunshine this weekend...

tnt1234

We never sell-out online. Only day-of walk-ups do we sell out. MLK was at 10:15am (ticket office opens at 8) so just be here early.

This storm only did 6-8” so East Side trees are the way to go. Lower angle is really skiing well. West Side natural steeps are thin as last week’s multiple hits of 2-3” rain storms wiped out a ton of base. Fun to ski with rock skis today but don’t take any new equipment out on steep all-natural stuff yet until we get another storm. Lots of coverage on snowmaking trails like upper Wiz Tali Trick Medium Wand Show Off Carumba Hocus Upper Carpet. Might even see a snow bar at Sunshine this weekend...

Thanks for the info!

Can I buy online morning of?

drjeff

Looking forward to Monday at Magic! My youngest kid is one of the VARA U14's who will be slapping some plastic down one of the best slalom hills anywhere, Talisman!

Hope that the mountain (and the BLT!) are PACKED this weekend, as you guys DESERVE a HUGE weekend for all you've done!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Do Work

The New American Grill 100%. Sip of Sunshine, great food and great service.