• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

rocks860

Snow is definitely quite moist and dense but there certainly is a lot of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Game

My observations of my first visit to Magic (after a 32-year delay)

1. Magic is a small mountain in terms of amount of people there. Not a small mountain in the terms of terrain.
2. We settled into a different, more relaxing pace. Focus on quality not quantity. We paced ourselves to make it to about 3:30. Certainly the latest I made it in a very long time.
3. The lighting does not deteriorate to complete flat later in the day due to NW exposure.
4. Many blues would easily be considered blacks at other resorts.
5. We had a surprising amount of fun on the groomers. I would say perfect amount of grooming.
6. There was no indication that Magic has gone through difficult financial times. Everything said success.
7. Wind-protected. The trees at the summit are taller than any other peak I have been to in Vermont. You aren't getting blasted by wind at the top. There is no wasted vertical enduring wind-exposed ice.
8. Fixed grip: As I hoped/expected riding a fixed grip double all day did not detract one bit. The terrain will use up your leg. We had nothing left at 3:30. The ride up again with no wind, is comfortable.
9. Steeps are great and don't require painful traverses to access. Talisman was my trail of the day. Goofy footed traverse back to lift at bottom was not problem. My brother who is regular stance said it bugged him a little.
10. Didn't get a chance to get into the woods. Looks like most entrances I saw were tight and intimidating. That's a good thing.
11. Back in time: No scan coders, no RFIDs. It's stickers and wickets all the way.

Smellytele

1. Magic is a small mountain in terms of amount of people there. Not a small mountain in the terms of terrain.
2. We settled into a different, more relaxing pace. Focus on quality not quantity. We paced ourselves to make it to about 3:30. Certainly the latest I made it in a very long time.
3. The lighting does not deteriorate to complete flat later in the day due to NW exposure.
5. We had a surprising amount of fun on the groomers. I would say perfect amount of grooming.
6. There was no indication that Magic has gone through difficult financial times. Everything said success.
7. Wind-protected. The trees at the summit are taller than any other peak I have been to in Vermont. You aren't getting blasted by wind at the top. There is no wasted vertical enduring wind-exposed ice.
8. Fixed grip: As I hoped/expected riding a fixed grip double all day did not detract one bit. The terrain will use up your leg. We had nothing left at 3:30. The ride up again with no wind, is comfortable.
9. Steeps are great and don't require painful traverses to access. Talisman was my trail of the day. Goofy footed traverse back to lift at bottom was not problem. My brother who is regular stance said it bugged him a little.
10. Didn't get a chance to get into the woods. Looks like most entrances I saw were tight and intimidating. That's a good thing.
11. Back in time: No scan coders, no RFIDs. It's stickers and wickets all the way.

Real questions are - will you gp back? and will you bring others?

rocks860

Well black was running briefly and then stopped several times and now is running but with no one on it. And now the line at red is huge

slatham

Is Magic a mostly black/expert mountain? I'd love to support small mountains..I heard a group of private investors who loved the mountain went in to bring it back to life...gotta read up on the history. My fav little mountain is Crotched.

There is some solid beginner and intermediate terrain that is regularly groomed and offers great cruising: Medium, Trick, Up Your Sleeve, Lower Magic Carpet, Kinderspiel, Show Off. Wizard is great old school narrow, winding, intermediate trail that is sometimes groomed. And once they make snow on Talisman that will be groomed and although black is very skiable when groomed. And remember its 1,500' vertical, so there is a lot there.

So no its not exclusively expert, but that is one thing that sets Magic apart from the other SoVT areas.

rocks860

Ended up calling it quits around 1 with the rain and the lines but definitely a very enjoyable day. Twilight zone was probably the run of the day, big soft bumps although you had to watch out for rocks and roots between them

JoeB-Z

Well black was running briefly and then stopped several times and now is running but with no one on it. And now the line at red is huge

I showed up at noon, saw the line and turned around. I'll ski tomorrow though. Spoiled season ticket holder. Geoff said no diagnosis on Black lift yet.

I stopped by Ascutney since I had my gear and took a few runs on the rope tow! They will have a T-bar next year.

rocks860

I showed up at noon, saw the line and turned around. I'll ski tomorrow though. Spoiled season ticket holder. Geoff said no diagnosis on Black lift yet.

I stopped by Ascutney since I had my gear and took a few runs on the rope tow! They will have a T-bar next year.

Yeah I think I saw Geoff running around like crazy, was gonna say hi but didn’t want to be a weirdo

JoeB-Z

I had a really nice day anyway but blew it at Magic because they fixed the Black lift at 12:40, 30 minutes after I bailed. Their ops crew is so committed. Anyway, fresher legs for me in the moisture tomorrow as I will ski in anything until the fun dries up.

JamaicaMan

Even at $69, I can guarantee you there isn't much margin - even with minimal staffing, snowmaking etc. There are just so many fixed costs with operating a ski area that cannot be reduced. $110 at a place like K is actually a deal if you had access to the books to see for yourself what it costs to operate.

Truth

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JamaicaMan

Word (s)

JamaicaMan

Nothing comes easy on Black. But thankfully got it back and the afternoon ran smoothly

JamaicaMan

Next time just stop me and say hi next time you're here. Thanks for coming.

Man, nothing ever goes as planned. But our crew keeps overcoming obstacles.

rocks860

Next time just stop me and say hi next time you're here. Thanks for coming.

Man, nothing ever goes as planned. But our crew keeps overcoming obstacles.

Will do, I was right at the front of the singles line when black started acting up haha

mriceyman

Another great day at magic..the weather held out and turned out to be a nice day except for the rain shower in the middle.. the Black helped with crowds in am and than again in pm.. we took a nice lunch from like 1140-1240. AM groomers were silky smooth.. some natural trails took a beating throughout the day but was still a great day. Lunch was great and got to donate to the til i die guys. Snow def got a little sticky but cant complain. Thanks again to the magic crew

bdfreetuna

Hows the base up there right now... I figure it's gonna get locked in with the freeze tomorrow until Wednesday hopefully it softens up to loose granular for the free day.

Thinking lack of skier traffic Mon / Tues will help with the moisture issue somewhat.

rocks860

Hopefully it’s nothing like here because it’s been steady rain since yesterday afternoon

tnt1234

dang...every time I plan a magic trip, weather gets screwy.

Non-refundable room in manchester, and two days this week in the 40s then teens to 20s saturday. Oh well. no choice this time....might try someplace else saturday - maybe drive north to Pico - then do magic sunday - looks a little warmer. Maybe it will soften up.

Well, still a few days out....maybe something will change....

mriceyman

Hows the base up there right now... I figure it's gonna get locked in with the freeze tomorrow until Wednesday hopefully it softens up to loose granular for the free day.

Thinking lack of skier traffic Mon / Tues will help with the moisture issue somewhat.

The steeper non groomed was scraped to the ground in spots.. lots of obstacles in the dub black trees.. other than that coverage seems pretty good