• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

PaulR

I'm seeing reports on Ski The East Facebook that even some of the mid sized mountains had crowds this weekend, but overall the post above confirms what I've noticed this past year (as I now delve into having to ski weekends):

If you really MUST ski on a weekend in South/Central VT, stick to the small/mid sized mountains like Magic and you'll be much happier.

tnt1234

Boy, I sure hope the stars align for me to repeat a trip to Magic this year. really had a blast on our first and only day (so far) last year.

slatham

I was there today and it was pretty quiet (as was Bromley). But it was a beautiful day. Groomers were sweet all day. Natural trails required rocks skis and rapt attention, but anyone venturing properly equipped was the better for it. 6 guns blasting on Hocus Pocus to finish up the widening. Guns started early afternoon on lower wizard, then lower Tali, with Tali steeps probably tonight. That will be a game changer. Hopefully we get this coming weekends storm to deliver - the base is down, put 12" on it and its go time.

skithetrees

I was really impressed with the snow making fire power that I saw this weekend. Granted I don’t get up there nearly as much as I used to (formerly 2-3 times a week) but it was easily three times as many guns as I have ever seen running simultaneously. The effort and commitment is clear. Good work!

RustyGroomer

I was really impressed with the snow making fire power that I saw this weekend.

Incredible display. Most in a long long time. They're back @ it now.

Without checking the weather, i'd say i's gonna be another great weekend.
See you Sunday Kusty

slatham

How we feelin about west side access this weekend? Thinking Sunday. Nice sat-sun storm in view...

Alpine report indicates good progress down low but will need a decent storm to open upper wizard into and through the Talisman steeps. Weather models certainly indicating this is possible, but I will caveat that at this time last week the models said 2” for the Thursday storm and 12”+ for Sunday. Reality was 4-6” and then 6-8”. So check back in 48 hours......

slatham

Isn't Talisman a snowmaking trail?

Yes. They've just started making snow on it. They are starting down low as they have temps. Given the way this winter has gone you have to make snow down low whenever you can. Given forecast they will not get to the steeps or upper Wizard this week. Thus they need natural. Luckily things look good with this weekend storm BUT its only Tuesday.....

MMP

Up your sleeve skied great yesterday. Soft small low angle bumps. Super fun. Kinder too. Fun apres band Sunday. People
Had a blast. They have unfucked the lift line situation and actually checked tickets. Set Your Soul Free!
bdc4b0684deab9a31b1865a6612fbaba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MMP

Can you still have fun, Wilson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KustyTheKlown

Hahah. we'll go easy on him. Tell him to bring his good skis.

he balked at the whole "ok i'll pick you up friday night at 2:30 AM and we drive straight to sugarbush and then to manchester to a $70 motel" and is now out of the plan. as i said, a pussy. an albany based snowboard friend may meet up on sunday. he is not a pussy and makes up any lack in technical prowess with balls to ride any terrain. stoked for the weekend.

RustyGroomer

That's it. My vendetta amongst lodge items now include straws, glitter, the giant Connect 4, & Phish.

Keep us posted Kusty.

Last edited:

RustyGroomer

Jimmy is blank for me too.

MMP just quoted a Phish song. Someone in the lodge has been extremely Phish heavy this year. All the 42 minute jams in particular.

cdskier

jimmy's post shows blank for me. i wanna know the phish joke!

Shows blank on my destkop, but on my iPhone via the AZ app it looks like a Phish video from Youtube. If I try to play it though, it says it is unavailable.

KustyTheKlown

lol. we used to go to bars in college (washington dc) that had those internet jukeboxes, and we'd throw on the YEM from A Live One, which is like 35 mintues with an extended vocal jam. then we'd walk out of the bar and leave them to enjoy.