Did I buy the wrong skis??

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1

    Did I buy the wrong skis??

    Im an expert skier, who spends most of his time skiing with his beginner wife...so mostly groomers for me, but there are some pow days here and there, and I like skiing the glades at Sugarloaf and Sunday River....

    So I wanted an all mountain ski. After extensive research and trying a few skis out last year, I decided on the 2018 K2 pinnacle ti 95...191cm. and when they arrived, they seemed long. They definitely are taller than me. I'm 6'2, 210 lbs on a good day, and so I debated back and fourth on the 184 and 191...but ultimately decided 191.



    I'm nervous that I was overzealous and purchased more ski than I actually need..am I going to wish I went with the 184? I haven't mounted bindings yet cause I'm not sure if I'm gonna try and sell them. On one hand, the 191 gives me the flexibility to hard charge down some backside--but I don't want to feel clumsy or out of place on the groomers with my wife. What should I do??

  2. #2
    What were you skiing previously? What lengths were the skis you tried out last year?

    I don't necessarily think it is too long. I ski a 177 as my primary ski and am 5'8. So the difference between our heights and ski lengths is about the same. Of course there are many other factors than just height.

  3. #3
    The past few years I've been on blizzards which were 180-- pretty snappy skis but borderline too short and beat to sh*t...and I tried out line and rossignol last year which were in the 180 range as well. The 191s are definitely the longest I've had. When I purchase (online) them I felt like I was making the right call, but when they arrived they were longer than expected. I have looked at some other 190's and they didn't feel as big. The pinnacles are relatively light so I'm hoping I still feel as nimble as before. I usually buy new then sell the old ones, but maybe I should just start a collection so I can select the right one for the day

    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    What were you skiing previously? What lengths were the skis you tried out last year?

    I don't necessarily think it is too long. I ski a 177 as my primary ski and am 5'8. So the difference between our heights and ski lengths is about the same. Of course there are many other factors than just height.

  4. #4
    Dude definitely does not sound like an expert. Classic rookie mistake. Knew he was full of shit when he said I'm an expert but I spend most of my time on the groomers with the wife. What a joke. Even the 184 are too long for what you do.

  5. #5
    WWF-VT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    MA & Fayston, VT
    Posts
    2,443
    If you are asking the question then you probably did buy them too long
    Last edited by WWF-VT; Oct 9, 2019 at 6:12 AM.

  6. #6
    Edd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newmarket, NH
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by beefstew177 View Post
    The past few years I've been on blizzards which were 180-- pretty snappy skis but borderline too short and beat to sh*t...and I tried out line and rossignol last year which were in the 180 range as well. The 191s are definitely the longest I've had. When I purchase (online) them I felt like I was making the right call, but when they arrived they were longer than expected. I have looked at some other 190's and they didn't feel as big. The pinnacles are relatively light so I'm hoping I still feel as nimble as before. I usually buy new then sell the old ones, but maybe I should just start a collection so I can select the right one for the day
    Which Blizzards were they?

    At this point, you may as well take out the 191s and hope for the best. Its not hard to sell barely used skis on Craigslist during ski season if they arent working for you.

    Your notion of having a quiver of skis is good. Very few people on this board use one pair of skis for all conditions.

    For groomers, shorter skis are better.

  7. #7
    Thanks for your opinion guy, it sounds like you're a real nice dude. Besides, I skied out of the womb mf, I don't need the approval of a keyboard warrior with no friends. Also, when you get married one day, you might understand that your lifestyle has to change if you're expecting it to work out- not that you'll ever be tolerable enough for someone to be interested in you....I digress

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbannedalot View Post
    Dude definitely does not sound like an expert. Classic rookie mistake. Knew he was full of shit when he said I'm an expert but I spend most of my time on the groomers with the wife. What a joke. Even the 184 are too long for what you do.

  8. #8
    They were 2014 brahmas. The 191s are definitely going bro be skiable--i just haven't ever owned them that long so I figured I'd ask while their still new for resale purposes. Thanks for the advice!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    If you are asking the question then you probably did buy them too long
    I don't know. When I bought my Hell and Backs and first saw them after they were delivered I wondered the same thing. My cousin worked in the industry at the time and was very familiar with my skiing style and abilities and recommended the size though, so I trusted him when ordering them. After skiing them I was reassured and I have been happily using them for years now.

  10. #10
    Edd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newmarket, NH
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by beefstew177 View Post
    They were 2014 brahmas. The 191s are definitely going bro be skiable--i just haven't ever owned them that long so I figured I'd ask while their still new for resale purposes. Thanks for the advice!
    If you were able to manhandle the Brahmas Id say your chances are good of the enjoying the new skis. Brahmas are not noodles.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:12 PM.