• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

skiur

Have to be at work Monday.

Coming home from VT sunday night, most likely they will close the highways in MA (they are quick to do that in Mass).....If its bad enough there is a good chance that 87 will be closed in NY as well.

tnt1234

Coming home from VT sunday night, most likely they will close the highways in MA (they are quick to do that in Mass).....If its bad enough there is a good chance that 87 will be closed in NY as well.

Starting to wonder about this.

If we go we're going to stick to the catskills. Wonder what time the storm starts winding down.

JimG.

Staff member
Starting to wonder about this.

If we go we're going to stick to the catskills. Wonder what time the storm starts winding down.

I think I'm going to follow this same course of action. Busy Saturday and trying to find a place to stay Sat night has proven impossible due to holiday. Gonna hit the Cats Sunday to keep the driving to a minimum, then heading up to K on Monday and staying over for Tuesday as well.

My last concern is the wind forecast.

NYDB

All signs pointing to an epic Sunday and Monday. I know red is good in the wind. How is green? it is a bit more exposed before it gets to green line trail.

JimG.

Staff member
Watch the temps. Ambient temps Monday wont leave negative figures and probably will stay that way until around 10am Tuesday.

All good...far better than warm.

This is what neck gaiters and hand warmers are made for, as well as Gondolas and bubble 6-packs. Bitter cold also useful for crowd control.

gregnye

Two questions:

The snow report has hinted at the possibility of the Black chair running this weekend. Anyone know the actual probability is? I'd love to ride that before it's removed!

Also anyone know if Magic allows overnight parking/car camping?

IceEidolon

I have overnight parked in lot 2 and I wasn't hassled.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

anyone know if Magic allows overnight parking/car camping?

Check the weather report before car camping. The models are busting hard on this storm.

Yesterday every model had Magic in the crosshairs of a major dump, but with a warmer evolution in reality it's now teetering on the danger zone. Snow totals will have to come way down even if it stays all snow, hopefully it pans out still.

NYDB

Nice crowd today. Great snow and base for tommorow.

Green really helped keep the lines today to 5 min max today. Bar jammed.

Cant wait for tommorow. Even if some ice mixes in it'll still be great.

Lift line at 1pm today at red. Green was ski on all day. 20190119_130252.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using AlpineZone mobile app

RustyGroomer

Orangegondola

50275167_10218684339843307_295083902710579200_n.jpg

Attachments

• OG.jpg
    OG.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

urungus

I will be taking a high intermediate / low expert snowboarder to Magic for their first time. Any comments about Magic from a snowboarding perspective, especially w.r.t. the west side, are there too many flat patches along Wizard?

I will be taking a high intermediate / low expert snowboarder to Magic for their first time. Any comments about Magic from a snowboarding perspective, especially w.r.t. the west side, are there too many flat patches along Wizard?

Should be fine. Worst flat is red chair to Magician. You can hit pretty much every other line with a little planing. No issues with flats on Wiz after that. Much better than most mountains.

Besides, worst cast hang off the green chair to start.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone