• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

prsboogie

Critical retailers
Food and beverage stores are open. This includes: supermarkets, convenience stores, farmers’ markets, food pantries, and liquor stores. Why liquor stores? The short answer is they're open in neighboring states, according to Commerce RI. Pharmacies, marijuana compassion centers are open.
Pet supply stores, gas stations and auto repair shops are open too. Hardware stores and larger retailers like Home Depot and Lowes remain open, with shortened hours.
Laundromats, banks and credit unions are physically open. Firearm stores are as well. Why gun shops?
“It should be noted firearm stores in Connecticut and New Hampshire among states most proximate to us, and there’s a variety of states Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania where such stores remain open,” said Commerce Secretary Stefan Pryor. Pryor also said allowing guns shops to remain open is a safety issue. First time owners can receive onsite instruction.
Non-critical retailers
Arts and crafts shops have closed their physical locations. Furniture store showrooms are close, but online shopping and delivery are available.
Car dealers are technically closed, except for repair work. A quick poll taken by a reporter on Monday indicated car sales are being done by appointment.
Sporting goods shops are closed. So too are home furnishings and department stores. Big box stores like Target and Walmart are open, but also limiting the number of customers inside. Some have wondered why the big retailers are allowing the sale of products carried by smaller retailers, who have been forced to close?
In Chicopee, Massachusetts police sent out a tweet saying on April 1st, retailers like Walmart, BJ’s, Big Y, Stop and Shop, Home Depot and Price Rite will close off a portion of their stores for non-essential goods.
“This means, clothing, toys, electronics, sporting goods, seasonal will be off-limits to shoppers. Only essential areas will be allowed,” said the tweet

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

NYDB

p_levert

If the freedom pass is dead, I would love for them to do some sort of deal with Bromley. Something like you get 5 days non saturday / non holiday / non powder day at each others hill with a full seasons pass.

I think not. It's seems that they are going to offer an Indy Pass add-on for a modest price. I am curious to see if other Indy Pass ski areas offer the same thing, in particular Bolton.

I gotta say, some sort of partnership with Bromley would make a lot of sense, since Bromley is open 7 days a week and has a lot of snowmaking firepower.

icecoast1

If the freedom pass is dead, I would love for them to do some sort of deal with Bromley. Something like you get 5 days non saturday / non holiday / non powder day at each others hill with a full seasons pass.

Would be surprised to see that, Bromley is corporate, although on a much smaller scale than their other neighbors. But still technically not an independent ski area

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Would be surprised to see that, Bromley is corporate, although on a much smaller scale than their other neighbors. But still technically not an independent ski area

I agree, Bromley is owned by Jiminy Peak which also owns Cranmore. None of those mountains are on any kind of partnership with outsiders. I believe they have a pass product between the three of them.

Edd

I agree, Bromley is owned by Jiminy Peak which also owns Cranmore. None of those mountains are on any kind of partnership with outsiders. I believe they have a pass product between the three of them.

Cranmore and BW share a pass. Also Cranmore is on the White Mountain Super Pass.

Do Work

I'm lobbying for some kind of "Golden Valley" deal. I feel like Magic/Stratton/Bromley collectively sharing the same valley has been under-marketed forever. Together we offer more than just about any one spot and I'd love to see that pushed more for the incredible opportunity for a second home base it really is. Together we could offer a shocking range of offerings, all within a 10 minute radius.

*sigh*

Maybe someday!

slatham

I'm lobbying for some kind of "Golden Valley" deal. I feel like Magic/Stratton/Bromley collectively sharing the same valley has been under-marketed forever. Together we offer more than just about any one spot and I'd love to see that pushed more for the incredible opportunity for a second home base it really is. Together we could offer a shocking range of offerings, all within a 10 minute radius.

*sigh*

Maybe someday!

That would be sweet! Obviously works for me. It's so unique to have 3 very different mountains so close. The challenge is that they also have such diverse ownership structures and alliances. Not sure if Alterra/Ikon arrangement allows Stratton to be creative, and thus far Bromley has stayed within the "Fairbanks 3", with limited cross benefits even there (I find it hard to believe this can be sustainable). And of course Magic is Freedom/Indy, though I hear next year is Indy only? But a Golden Triangle Pass works for me.

Hope you, Ashley, the kids, and the Magic crew are well.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep

*sigh*

Maybe someday!

I know a certain valley that would argue that point.... :)

skithetrees

By discounted I mean less than face value, normal definition, nothing tricky......

My suggestion is: you present your unused 19/20 prepaid ticket and you buy a day ticket during the 20/21 season for less than the walk up rate. Perhaps 1/2 price if bought during off peak times, smaller discount if at peak/holiday time. This way you get some value for your otherwise worthless 19/20 ticket, but the mountain gets a bit of revenue.

Or do view anything as less than full usage next year (or next March) not customer friendly?

According to facebook, they are offering people with unused 4 packs the chance to use them next year from 3/15 through close. Seems like a more than fair compromise.

slatham

According to facebook, they are offering people with unused 4 packs the chance to use them next year from 3/15 through close. Seems like a more than fair compromise.

Yes saw that too. I think it's more than fair. Magic's been more than fair - actually setting the bar - across the board with this situation.

JoeB-Z

So can five people get going on the lift again? I'm sure there is so much normal maintenance to get accomplished. I can't imagine sorting this out. Go Jamaicaman, Go Dowork.

JamaicaMan

So can five people get going on the lift again? I'm sure there is so much normal maintenance to get accomplished. I can't imagine sorting this out. Go Jamaicaman, Go Dowork.

Working with VT Tramway Board to get out-of-state lift contractors approved by govt to work in VT (In this case our lift contractor is based in NH)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Do Work

Our crews are all over our normal maintenance, required testing and advancements for next season and doing great. With our small and highly trained workforce, safe working conditions are easily maintained and the guys have been slaying their work. We have put an astronomical amount of effort into putting our minds together for ideas that will go a long way to bolster our ability to deal with contingencies- changes in how we will have to serve our customers in our existing models and also to diversify our offerings in ways that take into account our new reality and the challenges/opportunities it brings. Anybody who's seen our pass offerings this year should know we are doing everything our extremely creative staff can come up with to salve the wounds COVID is creating.

Believe me when I say nobody here is taking any of this lightly. If anything, we are ramping up our responses and being as proactive as we can in this scenario. We know things will change, and we are doing everything we can to change with it- and even ahead of it where we can. We're proponents of a "prepare for the worst, hope for the best" school of thought, and we will be as ready as possible once the snow flies!

p_levert

We're proponents of a "prepare for the worst, hope for the best" school of thought, and we will be as ready as possible once the snow flies!

Appreciate the positive attitude that you guys are expressing!

If it was my ski area, I would have a bunch of porta johns ready to go, and some yurts and/or tents. These are the ultimate tools for maintaining social distance, crowded lodges are the enemy.

Do Work

Totally, and about 8 pages of other projects, details, changes and guidelines that will definitely improve our adaptability. The fact that we are an operationally smaller mountain can present challenges of course, but it's also a huge tactical advantage in times like these. We're also the only mountain around that has any experience with how to successfully limit ticket sales, and that will no doubt play to our hand in developing a system to manage people in whatever capacity the state finds pertinent when that time comes. We've already laid out dozens of contingencies, along with departmental-specific concerns and ramifications *if* those things come to call, all of which are being addressed by their respective department head as best we can.

It's going to be a long, strange trip and we're determined to be as ready as humanly possible.