• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

Lots of progress on the mountain.

98fa0ab58264bc588b7ac692d89ccbdb.jpg

Several lift tower bases dug out looking up Hocus Pocus.

61aa0927b9f7f4b9aa6459474ec50f9b.jpg

Including the base terminal.

99f818f7b618f7dfb420b7c93a5f29f0.jpg

The holes for the lift towers are huge. The back part is well overhead.

0d29f50978a7668dde9d9bcdb1154922.jpg

Summit lift line looking down from area near summit terminal of old Black.

Below, looking up.

b83ce5f0823c1ddb28e7709993024958.jpg

Several towers on Green lift have been painted, and the bottom and top terminals have nice load/unload platforms for weddings and fall foliage rides.

Tavern looking good and beer cold and tasty.

2ac1e3ffbab004520404ba196f1247d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scruffy

Alchemy ?

noun
[COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

• the medieval forerunner of chemistry, based on the supposed transformation of matter. It was concerned particularly with attempts to convert base metals into gold or to find a universal elixir.
    synonyms:chemistry; magic, sorcery, witchcraft, enchantment
    "they were involved with the quest for immortality through alchemy"

• a seemingly magical process of transformation, creation, or combination.

slatham

Pitch Black to me just means it's dark out..... What about "Pitched Black"?

Must say I do like Sirius Black on multiple levels. Do we need to worry about JKR and copy rights?

I also like Alchemy, though not for this trail - not strong enough. Perhaps "Alchemy Glade" for one of the unnamed glades that Magic wants to put on the map?

drjeff

I would say that in keeping with the old school naming, since if 1 is honest I think they'll agree that most everyone will call the new quad "The Black" just like they call the Red chair "The Red" and the Green Chair "The Green" just keep it simple and call it "The Black Chair" (And then home that it doesn't create some social justice stir about it's name :eek: )

slatham

I would say that in keeping with the old school naming, since if 1 is honest I think they'll agree that most everyone will call the new quad "The Black" just like they call the Red chair "The Red" and the Green Chair "The Green" just keep it simple and call it "The Black Chair" (And then home that it doesn't create some social justice stir about it's name :eek: )

Don’t think there is any question the chair is The Black Chair. Question is the name for the new trail under the upper section of the chair.

IceEidolon

I’m glad to hear the Act 250 for expanded / off stream water storage finally went through. I was curious how much of a difference that could make, so I measured full coverage side-to-side on some core snowmaking trails, then using a 180,000 gallons per acre-foot conversion I worked out how much water is required to get an 18” base on those trails. Obviously this doesn’t take into account any natural snowfall, and by not going wall to wall or using a bit less depth these numbers can be lowered.

For a Green Lift Green Trail, you need Wand → Hocus Pocus → Base Area. That’s a solid 318,000 square feet, or 11 acre-feet at 18” depth. Trick and Upper Magic Carpet bring that to 22.3 acre-feet. Talisman and enough of Wizard to connect it takes another 8.1 acre-feet of snow, the race team wants Show Off at 9.6 acre feet – that one’s only 75% width - and putting the rest of Wizard and Lower Magic Carpet in the mix brings the total to 51.8 acre-feet of snowmaking to cover about 34 acres of trail. I know I skipped the Tube Park, Little Dipper, and several others, but I think I covered the core trails.

If the snowmaking pond didn’t refill – it does, but for illustration purposes – then previously there was only 25 acre-feet of water available, just enough to cover Trick, Upper Magic Carpet, Wand, Hocus Pocus, the base area. Double that amount and it’s within spitting distance of covering every trail I listed, without any kind of refilling. My read is that they can pump some water into the pond, and I assume there’s also some meltwater or runoff that’ll help replenish it. Along with the improved pumps, compressors, and snowguns added in the last couple seasons, this should let Magic take maximum advantage of every snowmaking opportunity.

As for the trail name, if Black Pitch doesn’t win out, I like Dark Portent, Ritual, or Superstition. When a named glade goes into that area I suggest Black Cat.

Tin

For a Green Lift Green Trail, you need Wand → Hocus Pocus → Base Area. That’s a solid 318,000 square feet, or 11 acre-feet at 18” depth. Trick and Upper Magic Carpet bring that to 22.3 acre-feet. Talisman and enough of Wizard to connect it takes another 8.1 acre-feet of snow, the race team wants Show Off at 9.6 acre feet – that one’s only 75% width - and putting the rest of Wizard and Lower Magic Carpet in the mix brings the total to 51.8 acre-feet of snowmaking to cover about 34 acres of trail. I know I skipped the Tube Park, Little Dipper, and several others, but I think I covered the core trails.

18" of base? That's Killington speak. 8-10" on bare ground and everything on the East Side gets skied + Tali and some dumb shit taking photos for Instagram tries out Red Line and destroys it.

Newpylong

12-18" is usually the industry goal for snowmaking depths, towards the higher side for core routes. Even more for race depth.

slatham

Do Work should chime in here on targeted man made base depth before moving to next trail. I'll take the over on 18" for core trails.

Re: Water: My read of Act 250 is they can tap the "unnamed tributary" that is being taken offline, and Thompsonburg Creek, in both cases assuming adequate flow.

Pond also gets intake from the Blue Gentian Pond and some base/parking area's that don't flow into the unnamed tributary.

Do Work

Do Work should chime in here on targeted man made base depth before moving to next trail. I'll take the over on 18" for core trails.

Re: Water: My read of Act 250 is they can tap the "unnamed tributary" that is being taken offline, and Thompsonburg Creek, in both cases assuming adequate flow.

Pond also gets intake from the Blue Gentian Pond and some base/parking area's that don't flow into the unnamed tributary.

Every trail needs different amounts- and for different reasons. Showoff sees probably 24" or more because of the sheer volume of races on it throughout the season, but we only put about 18" on Tali for those races strictly for monetary reasons. We've been dialing in really tight this past season, because "winning at snowmaking" is basically making the exact amount you need to have through closing weekend, and not a flake more or less. Big slabs of snow that sit for weeks on random trails are essentially monuments to wasted money, so learning the ways the mountain needs and holds snow is pretty important to making smart decisions in succession and not every trail needs or should have X amount.

Big meetings all this week to keep these projects moving, and everything is looking great. Really exciting seeing it all coming together!

slatham

Summer recon mission #2 this past weekend. Footings done for base terminal, all the towers up Hocus Pocus and some on lower section of Black Line, plus a couple up top too. Looks like summit terminal and towers in steeper section still to go.

Tower up top.
81f48f0bd4047b3638e2445bda4e48a6.jpg

Looking down as the trail steepens. Notice a hole for a tower, and how the trail drops off out of view. Nice pitch!

328115c991a38b226b6368634e2f247f.jpg

Looking up from same spot at another hole for a tower, and a tower mold in background (all were filled with cement)
ebaec0d3c0b80a27af91c77879f18178.jpg

No activity on the pond, though the new intake for refilling from Thompsonburg Brook is done. Even without pond improvements this should give them plenty of water IMO.

Also the work road, with the work they did and all the traffic, is much less a rock garden and is much easier to hike, and much easier to cover with snow.

Nice chat with Do Work - he’s got a bunch of work on his plate for the upcoming season. He is dialed in and pushing hard! Great to see the Mountian ops in his hands.

Oh and the beers at the BLT are still cold and tasty.

WoodCore

Looking down as the trail steepens. Notice a hole for a tower, and how the trail drops off out of view. Nice pitch!

328115c991a38b226b6368634e2f247f.jpg

What's that I see on the right side mid point of the photo???

slatham

What's that I see on the right side mid point of the photo???

Good question- we wondered the same. Did not investigate but it does look like a traverse may have been cut over from Witch or upper, closed section of Red Line? Do Work or Jamaica Man will have to chime in (or someone who has hiked into that area)