• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Green Peak at Waterville

Los

I wonder what if any positive impact this will have on the skiing experience for intermediate and advanced skiers... Hopefully less crowded slopes/lift lines on the other side, but that's probably wishful thinking...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

doublediamond

Why not move Quadzilla to Green Peak and World Cup to where Quadzilla is? No one is going to use a long slow fixed grip lift serving low-intermediate to beginner terrain. Especially when there's a HSQ next door serving most of the expanded terrain already. Why is Okemo so popular? Relatively easy terrain and high speed lifts!

edit Green not Greek

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
If marketed correctly, WV could differentiate themselves as the best destination for beginners within two hours of Boston. Right now that title probably belongs to Sunapee

Jully

If marketed correctly, WV could differentiate themselves as the best destination for beginners within two hours of Boston. Right now that title probably belongs to Sunapee

The full Green Peak build out plan definitely makes that case for WV. That would be quite a great area to take a lower intermediate! Even with this year's expansion of 10 trails or so a beginner / lower intermediate will be able to spend a full day there and be quite satisfied IMO.

I would bet that the lines for White Peaks will see a slight reduction and the blues from the summit might get some reduced traffic. Quadzilla will probably get a big uptick in crowds though.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nashoba is great for beginners, but I'm more thinking a "real" Alpine skiing experience / destination. That's a lot of acreage they are adding that will be an exclusively beginner - low intermediate pod. WV could make a compelling case for newer Boston metro skiers to not bother traveling the extra hour to Okemo etc. when all that caliber of skier is looking for is a short drive away in WV

Jully

Nashoba is great for beginners, but I'm more thinking a "real" Alpine skiing experience / destination. That's a lot of acreage they are adding that will be an exclusively beginner - low intermediate pod. WV could make a compelling case for newer Boston metro skiers to not bother traveling the extra hour to Okemo etc. when all that caliber of skier is looking for is a short drive away in WV

Especially for families looking for a vacation.

Gnarcissaro

Everything I've seen on this here in NH, both in print and on TV has used the words "new lift" and "high capacity lift" when describing the chair. No mentioning of any specifics. When in reality the lift is a 31 year old triple being relocated, "high capacity" is a stretch. Shitty reporting, sneaky marketing moves, both?

machski

Everything I've seen on this here in NH, both in print and on TV has used the words "new lift" and "high capacity lift" when describing the chair. No mentioning of any specifics. When in reality the lift is a 31 year old triple being relocated, "high capacity" is a stretch. Shitty reporting, sneaky marketing moves, both?

A lot of that lift is much newer than that from Doppelmayr after the lightning strike and fire a few years back. The line is only 4300' long, a fixed grip is fine for that distance. Have heard some rumors it will get a loading carpet but have not seen any confirmations on that.

Gnarcissaro

Yes, WE'RE all aware of that. But Joe Shmo watching the news will have a detach in mind and be telling his buddies.

Not saying its the wrong move, just imagining some confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DoublePlanker

Its a dumb move from the perspective of lift orientation. The entire pod should be serviced by a HSQ including Valley Run. But from a business perspective, they are getting a new pod for $2m. And they don't have money to do it right. So its about as good as its going to get unless a new owner with money to burn takes over.

I have beginner kids. Waterville is not that good for beginners. I don't see this as much of an improvement. I doubt I will even go to Waterville. I will go to Pat's Peak. Then perhaps Bretton Woods.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Really? It seems to me they're adding significant novice to low intermediate terrain with a decent amount of vertical. Is it because of the lift choice that you hold that opinion?

Maybe I'm misreading the terrain expansion as more advanced than Im thinking it is.

dlague

I have beginner kids. Waterville is not that good for beginners. I don't see this as much of an improvement. I doubt I will even go to Waterville. I will go to Pat's Peak. Then perhaps Bretton Woods.

They have the whole beginner area (lower meadows) and then there is Valley Run plus the new terrain should be plenty for beginners. However, never been a big fan of WV overall.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Was going to ask what kind of lift was going to be installed. And with several "older" lifts having major issues of late, I would think that reusing an older lift may not be a great idea.

thetrailboss

Staff member
...and as for the expansion, while we may nitpick, I honestly say good for them. ANY terrain expansion is good in my mind. Especially in this day and age.

slatham

I think it's a smart and economical move given an underused triple and the availability of the Green Peak terrain. That terrain probably doesn't justify a HSQ, and the payback period to finance one would be too long and questionable.

I saw the official press release and it was pretty clear they were installing a fixed grip lift, though it was silent on it being a used/relocated chair. It's amazing what the press will do to pump up a story, facts be damned.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Especially because they are looking to sell and likely wouldn't get back what they paid for a new lift.