• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mtn 2016-17 Season Thread

SallyCat

How is their adult lesson program?
I'm a low-intermediate aggressively trying to improve and I'd like to start the season with a good 2-hour lesson with someone who can really focus on my form and turn initiation. Their rates are good, but I'd love any feedback on the quality of instruction.

EDIT: I had a lame lesson last year at different resort. Instructor was a young guy who half-arsed the whole hour; seemed like he was utterly uninterested in being there. It's the first and only lesson I've ever had, so I'm hoping for a better experience.

Jully

Starting to feel bad for the people who bought season passes. While they were cheap relatively speaking, what they are delivering is in line with pricing. It shows that Ragged remains the same as all the other years slow to start.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Eh, I was expecting this more or less. I was hoping they would exceed my expectations, but this was my expectation. I love Ragged for the trees and I was banking on this winter not being last winter and therefore having the trees open for a decent chunk of the winter. I figured $250 for unlimited access to their glades from (hopefully) mid January to March was a good deal. I figured early season was going to be rough so I made plans to head elsewhere until January.

Unless I find something else incredibly enticing I likely will not return as a passholder next year though as you're right, their product from a season-long perspective is not great so far. The main thing for me is communication too. Its amazing how much better an active social media presence could make their current offerings.

Jully

How is their adult lesson program?
I'm a low-intermediate aggressively trying to improve and I'd like to start the season with a good 2-hour lesson with someone who can really focus on my form and turn initiation. Their rates are good, but I'd love any feedback on the quality of instruction.

EDIT: I had a lame lesson last year at different resort. Instructor was a young guy who half-arsed the whole hour; seemed like he was utterly uninterested in being there. It's the first and only lesson I've ever had, so I'm hoping for a better experience.

I do not have experience with Ragged's lessons, but my girlfriend learned to ski last year and I just want to reassure you that all lessons are certainly not like the one you had last year. My girlfriend had 3 lessons at Shawnee Peak in ME and all 3 of her instructors (she had a different instructor every time) were engaging and awesome.

I would assume that Ragged's teaching staff are pretty good, especially since they are now crafting themselves as an affordable, friendly place to learn, but I will defer to anyone who has experience there.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
They have always catered to the lowest common denominator beginner trails. Then expand to intermediate and it seems like they hope enough natural comes for advanced terrain. So not seems!
Newfound Ridge is fairly advanced plus Headwall. They've changed what trails open first in the past couple years. Probably due to Ryan Shramm's management. They used to open Exhibition first along with Main Street and Village Green, then Lower Ridge, Chutes, whatever.

The first season I skied there (07-08 ) the Spear Triple didn't open until February and they had tons of natural that year. Be that as it may, things are way ahead of last year. Last year - was "grim". I think folks forget how hard it is for smaller places to open early season. Not that it's a cinch for larger places either. I mentioned before many of us are jaded. A couple weeks of cold and a few inches of natural and we feel they should all be 100%? Anyway, Ragged is so convenient to me that I can afford to be patient.

Last edited:

dlague

Newfound Ridge is fairly advanced plus Headwall. They've changed what trails open first in the past couple years. Probably due to Ryan Shramm's management. They used to open Exhibition first along with Main Street and Village Green, then Lower Ridge, Chutes, whatever.

The first season I skied there (07-08 ) the Spear Triple didn't open until February and they had tons of natural that year. Be that as it may, things are way ahead of last year. Last year - was "grim". I think folks forget how hard it is for smaller places to open early season. Not that it's a cinch for larger places either. I mentioned before many of us are jaded. A couple weeks of cold and a few inches of natural and we feel they should all be 100%? Anyway, Ragged is so convenient to me that I can afford to be patient.
First, don't get me wrong because I have skied Ragged a lot in the past and have seen management changes left and right. I have enjoyed skiing there years ago but over the past few years it seems as though their planning is a little disjointed. We have typically avoided Ragged and sought out other ski areas that were more aggressive with opening terrain.

I am not to impressed with anything off Upper Ridge. Headwall is a 2-3 turn trail, Newfound has good pitch starting out and widens up and is a fun cruiser. However, Upper Crewcut is often a legit bump run but short. IMO, the best stuff at Ragged is between and including Exhibition and Flying Yankee. Which is also not open until later and in some cases only if there is good snowfall.

Ragged is a fun mid winter play!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I am not too impressed with anything off Upper Ridge. Headwall is a 2-3 turn trail, Newfound has good pitch starting out and widens up and is a fun cruiser. However, Upper Crewcut is often a legit bump run but short. IMO, the best stuff at Ragged is between and including Exhibition and Flying Yankee. Which is also not open until later and in some cases only if there is good snowfall.
No doubt, there is nothing about Ragged that screams Expert save for top half of Ragged Edge. Even the ravine only offers an expert pitch for a maybe the top third then it's all intermediate as far as I'm concerned. Plus there being no "Ragged Effect" like Jay or what Cannon claims skiing in the ravine isn't a given. In fact nothing at Ragged is too impressive really. If you were to make a bull's eye target with impressive being the very middle area and unimpressive being the outer rim, Ragged would easily fall in the middle area. No bull's eyes. No complete misses.

xwhaler

Re: Advanced terrain at Ragged
I feel Upper CrewCut, Cemetary Gates, Ragged Ann, Twister are nice albeit short pitches on Ragged proper that can be fun especially if the netural cliffy features and rock outcroppings are utilized.

Triple Take, Double Take on the Spear side of the Ravine are also a lot of fun that you can't just put it on cruise control for.
I also like the glades skiers left on Spear...I'm looking forward to checking out The Abyss and Ridge Runner which are new to the map in recent yrs that I have not skied.

It's not Cannon or N VT by any means but I think Ragged's advanced offerings compare favorably with their competition south of the White Mtns.

xwhaler

Just did a FB direct message exchange with Ragged as I asked specifically about the Barnyard and Spear. Their reply:
[FONT=&quot]So we've been blowing snow on Spear peak for the past few days, our goal is to get Cardigan and Turnpike open next week, but at this point it really depends on the temps. We'll keep pushing, but days like today make it tough. Barnyard is finished and will either open tomorrow or Friday.[/FONT]

Tin

Re: Advanced terrain at Ragged
I feel Upper CrewCut, Cemetary Gates, Ragged Ann, Twister are nice albeit short pitches on Ragged proper that can be fun especially if the netural cliffy features and rock outcroppings are utilized.

Triple Take, Double Take on the Spear side of the Ravine are also a lot of fun that you can't just put it on cruise control for.
I also like the glades skiers left on Spear...I'm looking forward to checking out The Abyss and Ridge Runner which are new to the map in recent yrs that I have not skied.

It's not Cannon or N VT by any means but I think Ragged's advanced offerings compare favorably with their competition south of the White Mtns.

Ragged= straight gnar brah

Robbski

For all its limitations I think Ragged's a a good bet at $250. At least it is for me. It's as close to Boston as any respectable ski area. If it's a great snow year you'll get decent variety and trees. When it doesn't it's usually OK. This week it gave me the chance to spend a couple of hours out on the snow burning high speed laps. During the week when I ski there it's never crowded. It ain't Snowbird but it can be fun and it's easy to get to. So for short money I have a cheap "go to" when the conditions and deals elsewhere aren't calling my name.

That said I have to agree that their marketing communications are teh suck.

MG Skier

For all its limitations I think Ragged's a a good bet at $250. At least it is for me. It's as close to Boston as any respectable ski area. If it's a great snow year you'll get decent variety and trees. When it doesn't it's usually OK. This week it gave me the chance to spend a couple of hours out on the snow burning high speed laps. During the week when I ski there it's never crowded. It ain't Snowbird but it can be fun and it's easy to get to. So for short money I have a cheap "go to" when the conditions and deals elsewhere aren't calling my name.

That said I have to agree that their marketing communications are teh suck.

Well said. When I have a "snow day" it is usually my go-to. No one there = more trees for me!

xwhaler

Ragged today was pretty nice. They reported 5" from yesterday which I think was probably 1-2" extra vs actual by way of ski area marketing.
Regardless it skied nicely and helped give a nice refresher on the open trails.

Moose Alley glade opened for the season today. Did about 4 runs through there and it was a mix of boot deep powder and thin rocky sections. Definitely enjoyable though!

The Barnyard lift was running today which was good to see as my son will be in lessons there tomorrow.

Decent crowd, bit busier than I expected or have seen so far this yr. 2-3 chair wait all day

91e6ace6a5ce6ecf3ab316d9f2cb93da.jpg
e0413954bc3031db8cea1c701861dd68.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

c7d7f1bf30d0b0969aaae453dd39b003.jpg

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Ragged today was pretty nice. They reported 5" from yesterday which I think was probably 1-2" extra vs actual by way of ski area marketing.

Actually 5" is closer to the truth than 1-2". When I left home Thursday morning there was already 2" and once at the area it continued to snow until early afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

xwhaler

Actually 5" is closer to the truth than 1-2". When I left home Thursday morning there was already 2" and once at the area it continued to snow until early afternoon.

I didnt word it as well as I could have.
What I meant was the mtn reported 5" and I thought it was inflated by 1-2". I could have seen a 3-4" report from Ragged based on what I skied yesterday in the woods.

2 miles ESE of the center of Danbury reported 2.9" per the NWS FWIW.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I didnt word it as well as I could have.
What I meant was the mtn reported 5" and I thought it was inflated by 1-2". I could have seen a 3-4" report from Ragged based on what I skied yesterday in the woods.

2 miles ESE of the center of Danbury reported 2.9" per the NWS FWIW.

Ah! Yes. True that.

SnoDevil97

Plan to head up with the family Friday Dec. 30. Hoping Spear will be open - at least Cardigan, perhaps Flying Yankee too ? Figure with temps /snowmaking & perhaps some natural this week more terrain will open (& spread crowds too).

Smellytele

Plan to head up with the family Friday Dec. 30. Hoping Spear will be open - at least Cardigan, perhaps Flying Yankee too ? Figure with temps /snowmaking & perhaps some natural this week more terrain will open (& spread crowds too).

Can't believe they still only have 16 trails open. I was thinking of going sometime next weekend as well but not with only 16 trails. Maybe Thursday's snow will help out

xwhaler

First race this yr is on Showboat Jan 7th. Slalom. So after Cardigan opens this week Showboat gets the guns. After that Yankee (if not already open on natural I'd assume)