• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mtn 2016-17 Season Thread

Newpylong

Fan guns won't help them if they don't have the power higher up, they are only for the base area.

It's possible now that Chutes will have snowmaking pipe they will go back to that as their first route. They likely got sick of dragging hoses and losing pressure trying to open that early on.

Jully

That would be a lot better than in previous years! Does anyone know why they don't just blow Exhibition to start as opposed to Chutes? That seems like the shortest way down and I wouldn't think it is especially rocky as it is quite a mild pitch for most of it.

Blowing an all green route down I get, but is Chutes any different than Exhibition?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Is the Wilson's Trail still there? I try looking for it every time I go but I never have luck.

I'm almost certain I've seen the trail sign buried in the woods. Somewhere in the saddle between Spear and Ragged but higher up than Rags or MissB just off Triple Take? Taking another hike in that area in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll stumble upon it again.

Jully

I believe it is not exactly skiable on any kind of traditional downhill gear. Its very narrow with lots of undergrowth. It'd be more of a skin up type deal.

dlague

Is the Wilson's Trail still there? I try looking for it every time I go but I never have luck.

The trail off the backside?

I'm almost certain I've seen the trail sign buried in the woods. Somewhere in the saddle between Spear and Ragged but higher up than Rags or MissB just off Triple Take? Taking another hike in that area in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll stumble upon it again.

I believe it is not exactly skiable on any kind of traditional downhill gear. Its very narrow with lots of undergrowth. It'd be more of a skin up type deal.

It looks like Wilson's was a backside trail that wrapped around and crossed Easy Winder.

WilsonsTrail.png

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
It looks like Wilson's was a backside trail that wrapped around and crossed Easy Winder.

attachment.php
Oh yeah, I meant the OTHER saddle. :roll: :oops:

xwhaler

Interesting that Ragged had Wilson's on their official trail map at one point. Didnt think they maintained it or had anything to do with it. Figured it was more of a locals back country ski/hiking trail

Have to check with my ski patrol buddy when I see him next wknd

canobie#1

I'd love to ski it if I could find the entrance haha

I was also hearing rumors of them removing the Village green and replacing it with the old Spear Mountain triple, that would take people all the way up the chute trail. Anyone else hear anything on this?

deadheadskier

Staff member
That would be a good move. Reduce traffic on the six pack for those only interested in the park

Jully

I'd love to ski it if I could find the entrance haha

I was also hearing rumors of them removing the Village green and replacing it with the old Spear Mountain triple, that would take people all the way up the chute trail. Anyone else hear anything on this?

As in this year? Or as a future plan? I've heard that tossed around for a dedicated park lift, but nothing recently.

canobie#1

It would be nice to see. They're gonna put a lot more stress on the six pack once Pinnacle Peak opens..

Newpylong

As skier traffic climbs it does make sense to put a lift back similar to the old Northeast Peak double. I think you could get it up the Chutes and hug the trails edge with only minimal tree cutting skiers left Upper Chute.Would need to rework the top terminal area a little.

As for Pinnacle, Cabin Fever could get snowmaking and becomes another route over there nearly directly off this lift.

becca m

Interesting that Ragged had Wilson's on their official trail map at one point. Didnt think they maintained it or had anything to do with it. Figured it was more of a locals back country ski/hiking trail

Have to check with my ski patrol buddy when I see him next wknd

re: Wilson's - having hiked it last spring, parts of it have been obliterated by logging. The sign at the top of it warns that it doesn't lead back to Ragged Mountain Ski resort. IMHO there are some VERY flat spots and at least 1 uphill - would probably be more fun in XC or tele gear.

dlague

As skier traffic climbs it does make sense to put a lift back similar to the old Northeast Peak double. I think you could get it up the Chutes and hug the trails edge with only minimal tree cutting skiers left Upper Chute.Would need to rework the top terminal area a little.

As for Pinnacle, Cabin Fever could get snowmaking and becomes another route over there nearly directly off this lift.

Top Terminal area would be tough with the headwall right there.

canobie#1

Do you think it's possible to cut another trail in between Lower Ridge and Easy Winder to allow another access point to Pinnacle?

xwhaler

Do you think it's possible to cut another trail in between Lower Ridge and Easy Winder to allow another access point to Pinnacle?

It'd be even better in the short term if they cut something (even if were a glade) to avoid the nasty run out on easy and get back to the lift quicker

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've long felt a glade (or three) going from Lower Ridge down to Easy Winder would be great. Good pitch in there. I went in once and found a few good turns, but mainly bushwhacking. It wouldn't take much to clean it up though.

Starting near the top just after the split for Reggae Glades. When they announced Moose Alley a few years ago, I thought my wishes were being answered, but MA is much lower down than what I'm thinking of.