Ragged Mtn 2016-17 Season Thread - Page 39

AlpineZone

Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Abubob View Post
    Yup, thaz me. Plus I'm only 10 min from Ragged. No brainer for me. Good thing too.
    If I were that close it would also be a no brainer---could hop over for an hour of skiing and get a bunch of laps in.
    I'm 1:15 from Ragged and 1:00 from CM. Ragged skis much bigger than CM but having Attitash (1:50) and Wildcat (2:00) as variety options with far more compelling terrain and consistent snowfall makes me get past the super low price Ragged pass.

I've definitely gone back and forth though....if Ragged had a more legit mtn devo program and/or had a partnership with another larger mtn (or even smaller mtn like Pats that offered night skiing) I may have gone that route.

This was my first season in a while getting a pass and it's made me realize how much I love variety....next yr's pass offers me more of that.

That said, Ragged did a great job this yr with snowmaking both in terms of expanding faster than in past yrs and offering more routes than in the past.
    The pass is not simply a bare bones ski experience---even if you use it 8-10 times during holiday periods when it's $$ to ski elsewhere it's a great value.
    2018-19
    Wildcat 11/10

2017-2018 Days: 51
    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

A partnership would definitely be key in getting me to return. I'm still going back and forth myself... leaning towards a no though.

As I get older I'm getting lazier. With Ragged right down the road from me it's tough to get out of the gravitational pull. With the cheap season's pass it's nigh on impossible. Another thing about Ragged is that when everything is in play there's just enough variety to keep me interested and happy. If Pinnacle Peak ever comes together THAT would be so cool.

Ragged doesn't make me a better skier like Cannon does but I can still scare the crap out of myself skiing the ungroomed side of Showboat or even Cemetary Gates. Ragged doesn't have the glades that Jay has but just enough to keep me interested.

A couple years ago I stopped getting a season's pass at Ragged to get some variety myself. More than once that season though I was not into driving even one hour. Totally get the idea for variety but as I like driving less and less Ragged becomes the better option for me. Plus the more I ski there the more it feels like home.
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." Tommy Magliozzi

As I get older I'm getting lazier. With Ragged right down the road from me it's tough to get out of the gravitational pull. With the cheap season's pass it's nigh on impossible. Another thing about Ragged is that when everything is in play there's just enough variety to keep me interested and happy. If Pinnacle Peak ever comes together THAT would be so cool.

Ragged doesn't make me a better skier like Cannon does but I can still scare the crap out of myself skiing the ungroomed side of Showboat or even Cemetary Gates. Ragged doesn't have the glades that Jay has but just enough to keep me interested.

A couple years ago I stopped getting a season's pass at Ragged to get some variety myself. More than once that season though I was not into driving even one hour. Totally get the idea for variety but as I like driving less and less Ragged becomes the better option for me. Plus the more I ski there the more it feels like home.
    If I was under 30 minutes to Ragged it would be no question. I'm coming from Boston and while I prefer Ragged to Crotched, the night skiing at Crotched is a nice perk. Then for just a few hundred dollars more I get access to Attitash and Wildcat for longer trips. If next year is a banner snow year, I will be kicking myself though. Late Jan/Early Feb this year was awesome at Ragged. Driving just 1:40 and skiing some great glades on a Sunday afternoon was pretty perfect.

I was also stoked at the attempt at bumps by Crotched this year. I was missing that at Ragged pretty badly for December and January.

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    If I was under 30 minutes to Ragged it would be no question. I'm coming from Boston and while I prefer Ragged to Crotched, the night skiing at Crotched is a nice perk. Then for just a few hundred dollars more I get access to Attitash and Wildcat for longer trips. If next year is a banner snow year, I will be kicking myself though. Late Jan/Early Feb this year was awesome at Ragged. Driving just 1:40 and skiing some great glades on a Sunday afternoon was pretty perfect.

I was also stoked at the attempt at bumps by Crotched this year. I was missing that at Ragged pretty badly for December and January.
    When you drive to Wildcat or Attitash do you drive right up Rte 16?
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." Tommy Magliozzi

Ragged today didn't have the kinda phluffy powder you might wish for. More of a wind buff and by the time I got there it was pretty well chopped up so kinda challenging. Grooming will make it beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone
    Your prediction was right on the money. On Thursday, The groomed trails had some of the best snow I've ever seen at Ragged. Ungroomed wasn't bad on Raggae glades and Birches either. Spear quad was on wind hold until 10:30 but when they opened flying Yankee was sublime. Showboat had great snow too. Can't see why it won't hold out through the weekend.

I'm about 1 and 45 minutes away and retired a couple of years ago. At $249 I think the pass is still a no brainier and I don't think it stops me from skiing elsewhere. I've been to Ragged 7 times this year and expect to hit it a couple more and it doesn't owe me a nickel. Ragged delivers on price, proximity, low crowds and usually decent conditions. I ski other mountains too but not if is going to cost me $90. But for $50 or $60 I'll mix it up by going elsewhere. I'll save the $$ and save it to travel west.

When you drive to Wildcat or Attitash do you drive right up Rte 16?
    I've done that this year, yeah. In the past I have gone up 93 and cut over and down to Wildcat too. Haven't encountered problems with 16 though.

I can totally relate on the exhaustion of day trip driving.
    I used to dread n. Conway traffic on Pinkham notch days until I learned about the West Bank Road route.

For $249, the Ragged pass works for me as it is close (to where I am on weekends) and I'd shoot myself seeing it and not being able to ski it when conditions are good. BUT, if that were my only pass, I would get bored as they open terrain slowly and have a short season... when the glades are in, it's GREAT!!!

So, I have it as a supplement pass to a midweek Peak Pass (mainly for Crotched nite skiing) and probably a Cannon pass because I always feel challenged at Cannon.

I was at Ragged yesterday with my family. Hadn't been since 1990! The terrain was great for the kids. Lots of glades - although most aren't in play. Xwhaler brought us through one, but since I already have enough core shots on my skis, that was our only tree run. I was glad to see a bump line under the 6 pack, and was even more glad that my little guy wanted to hit it a few times at the end of the day. It's a really great setup for anyone who is learning. It's a nice flat pitch, and one side of the trail was groomed if you need to bail out.

The lodge was really nice. It's one of the better ones I've seen, but, wow, what a friggin' zoo!

About the loading on the hsq... c'mon Ragged... that really needs to be fixed. There is an uphill just as you are about to load. For most people it's a non-issue, but we found it problematic with our little guy who struggles to push himself through line with his poles. I also saw others struggling. We had one beginner who slid backwards into us... Not her fault. This is on the mountain imo. Aside from that, the on-hill experience was good (maybe they could have roped a longer queue for the 6 and given the guy directing traffic there some more training!)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Thread Information