• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mtn 2016-17 Season Thread

SnoDevil97

Wow, feel so bad for Ragged. 2nd year in a row with terrible weather & less than ideal natural snow.

Skied at Bretton Woods yesterday & agree conditions were FAST.

The Whites & S NH are due some snow luck out of these storms the next 10 days. Otherwise seeing it difficult how they make it to April even with snowmaking.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
As long as it doesn't hit 80 I don't think it'll be a problem getting to April. The man made base is in good shape. Only the glades are torched.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

xwhaler

Fantastic skiing at Ragged both days this past wknd. The work the snowmakers have done to bury trails really shows this yr.
Great coverage IMHO given the weather challenges we have had. Nice job by the grooming team meant little ice...nice fast conditions to sink an edge into.

SIKSKIER

Wow, feel so bad for Ragged. 2nd year in a row with terrible weather & less than ideal natural snow.

Skied at Bretton Woods yesterday & agree conditions were FAST.

The Whites & S NH are due some snow luck out of these storms the next 10 days. Otherwise seeing it difficult how they make it to April even with snowmaking.
Really?You need to look at this.And the last one was Friday.They made snow in sub zero here for 2 more days.

Attachments

• marchsn3.jpg
    marchsn3.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 138
  • cannonrocketwhales.jpg
    cannonrocketwhales.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 139
  • marchsn4.jpg
    marchsn4.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 139

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Fantastic skiing at Ragged both days this past wknd. The work the snowmakers have done to bury trails really shows this yr.
Great coverage IMHO given the weather challenges we have had. Nice job by the grooming team meant little ice...nice fast conditions to sink an edge into.
Everyone I talked to Sunday afternoon avoided Saturday because of Ragged's track record with thaw/freeze management. Plus it's March - I think most are ready for above zero temps. Sunday was nice - 20's by the afternoon with a breeze - quite literally not a cloud in the sky.

Rushski

Yeah, their thaw/freeze management at Ragged is hit or miss. Was there on Friday and they were having a tough time fighting the conditions that set up the day before. It was 10:30 when we got a voucher and the only open trail (other than learning area) was Exhibition... Don't doubt they opened up more but wasn't shaping up too well.

On the positive side when we came in the second time, she just handed us wire clippers and vouchers.

hammer

Have a couple of vouchers to burn, hoping that at least one weekend this month will be warmer. Only want to go if the snow will soften up a bit. Shame that nothing will be available off of the groomers but it is what it is...

dlague

Really?You need to look at this.And the last one was Friday.They made snow in sub zero here for 2 more days.

I am actually impressed by the pictures that were posted. In years past, they would have dropped the ball. I would imagine that the snow making pond is pretty full so there is plenty of resource.

SnoDevil97

Any thoughts from Ragged this weekend? Other NH resorts posting good reviews prior to this week's dump. Ragged's a prime candidate for a "sick" day for me from work on Wed post-storm. Hell I think I'll go there regardless of what it looked like this weekend.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Any thoughts from Ragged this weekend? Other NH resorts posting good reviews prior to this week's dump. Ragged's a prime candidate for a "sick" day for me from work on Wed post-storm. Hell I think I'll go there regardless of what it looked like this weekend.
Repeat of last weekend - only colder. All major slopes open and fun fun fun. Fast but edgeable. Fresh snow on this base will be sweet.

The glades are toast. Eighteen inches might - - might reopen them. In many areas there is no base.

See you Wednesday.

hammer

Anyone heading to Ragged in the next few days? Thinking we will be going weekend of 25-26 March but with the recent snow it's hard to pass on this coming weekend. Main concern is the snow forecast (OK with skiing in it but hate driving in it), also thinking it will be quite crowded.

Jully

I'll be there Sunday on what is likely my last day there for the season. I can't speak to Saturday, but I would be shocked if it was crowded on Sunday. Spear should be ski on - 2 minute wait and the 6 pack should be a 10 chair wait - 5 minute line at peak times on Sunday. I doubt Saturday will be especially crowded either. This weekend is the first weekend that you can ski on next year's pass, but I don't think that there will be tons of new passholders coming out.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Ragged today didn't have the kinda phluffy powder you might wish for. More of a wind buff and by the time I got there it was pretty well chopped up so kinda challenging. Grooming will make it beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

xwhaler

Surprised they opened the ravine but not the spear glades. Was the opposite of how they handled the late December storm where ravine didn't open.

Guessing the wind scoured that side of the hill pretty bad.

I will be up on Sunday hoping the Saturday storm drops a few more

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

CoolMike

Did they greatly reduce next year's pass prices? Ragged just emailed me and unless I misread the email the pass price is currently 249$, no blackouts, and you can ski this spring?

Seems like a pretty good deal.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Did they greatly reduce next year's pass prices? Ragged just emailed me and unless I misread the email the pass price is currently 249$, no blackouts, and you can ski this spring?

Seems like a pretty good deal.

Just do it. I broke even in December.

xwhaler

It's an amazing deal but I think we are moving on to Peaks.
More overall cost but a longer season and some additional variety for my family.
I am looking fwd to closing down Ragged's season though...it's worked well for us this yr and if I were a solo skier I'd almost definitely re up.