• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat or Attitash?

Jully

It really depends on the type of skier you are. I personally vastly prefer Wildcat, but Attitash does family resort with a nice mix of classic narrow New England groomer trails and newer style open cruisers really well.

Benefits to Wildcat that make me love it are:
- wonderfully fast lift with minimal crowds
- a lot of terrain variety with looong runs
- better natural snow than Attitash
- classic NE trails, some groomed but a lot of great ungroomed too

deadheadskier

Staff member
Id imagine you would be going for a weekend no? You should ski both. Id recommend Wildcat for Saturday to avoid the big crowds and Attitash for Sunday. For both, get there early as they can get skied off fairly quickly.

xwhaler

I prefer Wildcat but my folks had a condo at Attitash for about 8 yrs so we skied it a lot.

If you like steep groomers Attitash has quite a few on both peaks.
Depending on when you go Attitash could have better weather (spring: it's lower elevation will allow the snow to soften up quicker, very cold winter days: lower elevation means less chance for nasty winds/cold that Wildcat is somewhat infamous for at times)

if you will be in the area try both (they are only about 20 mins apart) pros/cons to each
both should be a welcome change over the crowds you are used to at Hunter

Jully

Id imagine you would be going for a weekend no? You should ski both. Id recommend Wildcat for Saturday to avoid the big crowds and Attitash for Sunday. For both, get there early as they can get skied off fairly quickly.

That is a great plan actually. I like Attitash a lot too just not as much as Wildcat. There's a great deal to experience at both areas.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That is a great plan actually. I like Attitash a lot too just not as much as Wildcat. There's a great deal to experience at both areas.

Same. I ski Wildcat 90% of the time. Attitash only when bored and want to mix it up. If they ever replaced the Summit triple at Attitash, I'd ski there more frequently, but still not as much as Wildcat

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Agree. But even if you're only up for one day, eat lunch in the car on the short ride between the two areas so you get to experience both. The pass is interchangeable.

frapcap

95% of the time, I ski Wildcat. The only reason I'd venture over to Attitash is if its just too freggin cold and the snow is bulletproof.

Crotched, on the other hand, is fantastic for some fast laps and a buttload of vert.

podunk77

If the whole mountain's open, Attitash has some pretty steep groomers that can be a lot of fun. Only problem there is the slow summit lift on Attitash proper (not Bear Peak, the lift over there is faster). As previously mentioned, Wildcat has a super-fast summit chair, looong runs and absolutely gorgeous views. Come for a three day weekend, ski 'em both the first two days and ski your preference the third day. Can't go wrong, and if you're looking for cheap, clean, very basic lodging, try the Maple Leaf Motel in North Conway. $50 a night last time I stayed there, and the owner did something really nice for me that, according to his policy, he didn't need to do.

2Planker

I'd have to agree w/ most posters. I far prefer The Cat. Nothin beats it on a nice Powder Day !!! Attitash is a lil bit more of a resort feel, albeit small, but there is great terrain up high. We live 5 miles from Attitash and I'll go there on Fridays. Usually go straight to Bear Peak and can park in the first 2-3 rows at 9am.

Saturday is all about the 20 min ride up to The Cat, primarily for the lack of crowds. The Cat's HSQ has the most vert in NH or Maine, and you rarely have to wait more than 5 mins in line. It's in the White Mt Nat'l Forest so NO Condos, NO Hotel, just less crowded. Everyone there is the to ski/ride. Nice Pub upstairs w/ usually good apres ski entertainment. Oddly enough, some of the best chow in ski country comes out of the small cafeteria right in the lodge. The Cat also has FREE bag check downstairs if you don't like leaving your bag/crap under a table in the main part of the lodge.

You can actually ski them both in one day, on the same ticket. I've done the right ski boot off 20 minute drive many times

jimk

Attitash is ok, but Wildcat is a must!!!
Wildcat pics, I'll let my photos do the talking:
LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

cdskier

I've always wanted to make it to Wildcat at some point. The view looks stunning. From my VT condo it is only about 3 hours...if I happened to be in VT for an extended midweek vacation at some point it wouldn't be unreasonable to drive over to Wildcat for a day or two...

Wildcat hands-down. Used to put out bumper stickers of:
"Wildcat no rules"
"Wildcat no ropes"
"Wildcat it ain't over till it's over"

We always called Attitash....Attitrash. Just kidding - looks like some decent there especially when it is cold out.

HSQ at the Kitty is sick. Back when I was younger on a spring day started skiing at 9AM and quit at 2. Was averaging a little over 5 runs an hour, 25 runs, over 50k vertical feet. I would die doing that today!

snoseek

JimK those are some fantastic cat pics. Looks like you got a good day!

Cannon/Wildcat are in the Same league in Nh...and then there's everthing else IMO. Attitash is ok if you like steep groomers. Its not a flat mountain by any means just rolled flat.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Love it

It isn't very big in terms of acreage, but everything there has so much character and is fun to ski. It has very few "meh" trails. I guess Lower Catapult, Bobcat and Cheetah aren't too exciting, but everything else is great, even the green trails. Enjoying it with Mount Washington in your face, no lift lines off a fantastic HSQ = big fun.

Attachments

• 1474597021989.jpg
    1474597021989.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 79

snoseek

Polecat may be the most fun green on the planet!