• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crazy signs at ski areas

tekweezle

FB_IMG_1475545788919.jpgValle Blanche at Chamonix, France

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

jimk

Another one from Taos. This is one of the most famous "crazy" signs in skidom. Not my photo, but very cool from 1980. Shows how long some form of this sign has been posted at base of Taos trail layout.
tumblr_nzthtjMQru1rnh4hbo1_1280.jpg

Cornhead

From the base Taos does look pretty intimidating. Al's Run is staring you in the face, and there looks like no other way down, the cross trail isn't clearly visible from below. Shit, alot of Taos looks intimidating. I've talked to regulars there who said they've known of people who've taken one look, turnned around, and left.

4aprice

From the base Taos does look pretty intimidating. Al's Run is staring you in the face, and there looks like no other way down, the cross trail isn't clearly visible from below. Shit, alot of Taos looks intimidating. I've talked to regulars there who said they've known of people who've taken one look, turnned around, and left.

That is a sight I want to see. I've seen pictures of JimK's sign before. When we used to stay at Aspen, the condo we stayed in was just below the 1A Chairlift up Ajax, and that is a pretty intimidating face. (Looking up Little Nell and Spar Gulch not so much though you can see much more of Aspen Mountain). I hear Telluride has a pretty intimidating face, looking up from the town as well.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Cornhead

Interesting marketing from that hill. Looks like a blast.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk
Too bad it's literally in the middle of nowhere. Someone, maybe here, or NYSB, or both, stopped on a drive out West. That's the only way it'd be feasible.

I have some experience with little places in the heart of LES country, they're great. Maybe I can finally ski Mc Cauley this year, they're on the fringe, they don't get dumped on like Snow Ridge, but they do get LES.

I wouldn't mind a return trip to Hickory either. Like setting the hot tub time machine to 1950 instead of 1980, awesome terrain too. Cool to experience skiing how it once was. Hopefully it'll snow this year, Hickory didn't open at all last year.