• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crazy signs at ski areas

Bene288

I can tell you a lot of people get on that chair that have no business being up there. Its unique as its really the only top of a ski area where there is zero groomed paths down and nothing blue. The wall in itself isn't terribly difficult or anything a solid intermediate couldn't handle....its just everyone feels the need to take 10 to the top for whatever reason. Ive coached quite few horrified skiers down that over the past few years. I even physically picked up a kid as mom was horrified and sliding down on her ass. Its real easy to get yourself in the shit up there lol

Yes you make a good point with no groomed way out. I skied it with no snow and had a blast. Got to see the Bonzai races from the chair too. We ended up lapping it half a dozen times. Very fun slope.

snoseek

I sat up on the nose above chair 11 with some coworkers and had a little party during the finals. I was actually going to enter but work got in the way. If I had made it to Sunday I surely would have gotten smoked!

Bene288

I sat up on the nose above chair 11 with some coworkers and had a little party during the finals. I was actually going to enter but work got in the way. If I had made it to Sunday I surely would have gotten smoked!

That whole mountain is a blast. I remember several good runs under 11. Hoping for some fresh snow this year. It seems like late Feb is a little too warm.

skimagic

watch those mogul troughs..

attachment.php

Attachments

• bomb.jpg
    bomb.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 309

tekweezle

FB_IMG_1475390699766.jpgFB_IMG_1475390685156.jpg here is a couple from Niseko Japan

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

jimk

Fun thread. Another pic from Kirkwood, low snow year 2015. I guess this is a flag, not a sign:dunce:

LL

Good one from Taos, not my photo:
slim-slidell-self-arrest-display-at-the-top-of-chair-2-taos-ski-valley-C89AW0.jpg
Over on West Basin you need this skill!

Last edited:

Breakout12

hqdefault.jpg

Nothing special, but I like the self awareness angle: "Are you an expert?"

Cornhead

The Rumor sign is no more:( just a double black diamond sign now, the sign still applies however. Maybe it was scaring too many people away.

Bene288

The Rumor sign is no more:( just a double black diamond sign now, the sign still applies however. Maybe it was scaring too many people away.
What?! Since when? Guess I haven't been too attentive.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

cdskier

That's horrible! That sign was classic!

Breakout12

That's horrible! That sign was classic!

It's sad that it's gone. I said “nothing special” because there are lots of signs saying Experts Only, but I, too, thought that sign was classic. I saw pics of it before my first trip to Gore, and I’m glad I got to see it in person.