Wildcat Mountain 2016-2017 season thread - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    i hope to pop my Wildcat cherry this season, with my peak pass.
    Hope to see you there!

Looking good! I've only made it to Wildcat once. It was a beautiful spring week day with tons of great snow. One of my best ski days ever. We were worn out by noon; that fast lift is a real killer when all you do is ski down, ski on, and fly up the hill to do it again. Really want to get back.

Looking forward to it this season! Hope to get 3 trips in!

Skiing for 2018-2019 - 20
    Crotched Mountain: 1/15/2019, 1/30/2019, 3/23/2019
    Gunstock: 12/23/2018, 1/1/2019, 1/17/2019, 2/23/2019, 3/9/2019, 3/14/2019, 4/6/2019
    Killington: 11/15/2018
    Mount Snow: 10/27/2018, 11/24/2018, 12/25/2018, 2/14/2019
    Nashoba Valley: 3/2/2019
    Wachusett:
    11/17/2018, 12/22/2018, 4/13/2019
    Wildcat Mountain: ​3/30/2019

Seasons Past:
    2017-2018 - 12 Visits; 2016-2017 - 23 Visits; 2015-2016 - 17 Visits; 2014-2015 - 20 visits: 2013-2014 - 19 visits:
    2012-2013 - 13 Visits; 2011-2012 - 16 Visits; 2011-2012 - 16 Visits; 2010-2011 - 19 Visits; 2009-2010 - 16 Visits;
    2008-2009 - 15 Visits

Just curious do the Cougar and Catenary trails have snowmaking pipes on them?

Catenary does yes. I can't remember if Cougar has its on dedicated pipes, but they could easily pull hoses through the woods if it does not.

I would love to see them cover those trails this season, the all natural is great but covering these would definitely spread the crowds out more and allow for earlier-later season skiing on them. Tomcat Schuss is another one that should be blasted on.

Well, in a perfect world, Wildcat would have working pipes and guns to make snow on every trail except Feline, Hairball, Star Line, Spynx, the Chute and Leo's. Basically all the trails that they can get a groomer down. The 90% snowmaking coverage they advertise, which in reality is probably more like 60-70%. I don't see that ever happening until they expand their snowmaking pond significantly.

In terms of where I'd like to see them make snow where they often don't, it is definitely Gondi Line. I think every mountain should have at least one signature expert run that is reliably open each winter with snowmaking. The Lift Lion portion of Gondi Line can open with minimal natural. Black Cat not so much. They did make snow on it a few years ago and it was absolutely killer in the spring, but I feel it should see the same attention as trails like Catapult get. So, given the choice, I'd rather see that be a priority over Cougar, Catenary and Tomcat Schuss. Those three trails are pretty well manicured and can open on minimal natural. Even last winter I got to ski them. It would be great for snow to be made on them, but they're not at the top of the priority list for me.

The other thing to consider is if they do spread out more with the trails they make snow on, that could take away from base building efforts on Lynx to carry them through April. I wouldn't want to miss out on late season skiing on Lynx because they blew their budget elsewhere.

Hopefully we get a normal winter of 150-200" and none of it really matters much and Mother Nature opens the mountain to 100% on her own by mid-January.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Well, in a perfect world, Wildcat would have working pipes and guns to make snow on every trail except Feline, Hairball, Star Line, Spynx, the Chute and Leo's. Basically all the trails that they can get a groomer down. The 90% snowmaking coverage they advertise, which in reality is probably more like 60-70%. I don't see that ever happening until they expand their snowmaking pond significantly.

In terms of where I'd like to see them make snow where they often don't, it is definitely Gondi Line. I think every mountain should have at least one signature expert run that is reliably open each winter with snowmaking. The Lift Lion portion of Gondi Line can open with minimal natural. Black Cat not so much. They did make snow on it a few years ago and it was absolutely killer in the spring, but I feel it should see the same attention as trails like Catapult get. So, given the choice, I'd rather see that be a priority over Cougar, Catenary and Tomcat Schuss. Those three trails are pretty well manicured and can open on minimal natural. Even last winter I got to ski them. It would be great for snow to be made on them, but they're not at the top of the priority list for me.

The other thing to consider is if they do spread out more with the trails they make snow on, that could take away from base building efforts on Lynx to carry them through April. I wouldn't want to miss out on late season skiing on Lynx because they blew their budget elsewhere.

Hopefully we get a normal winter of 150-200" and none of it really matters much and Mother Nature opens the mountain to 100% on her own by mid-January.
    Please make snow on Gondiline, this is my third year pleading, I am wearing out my knees!!!! His would spread out the crowd on Lynx and the mountain would ski much better IMO

Bumping this one up-
    Looks like the Cat is considering blowing snow early. Guns are tested and they seem about ready to rock and roll.
    Wonder if the new Peak concept is to open sooner than previous years?

The chairlift is a free rollercoaster!

They started blowing on Upper Lynx Monday night and into yesterday, but said they will not be opening this weekend. They said early to mid November is the plan. So, I'd say there's a small chance of opening on the 5th, but the 12th is probably more likely.

Thread Information