• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2016-7: It's On!

Tin

They will be hammering SS when the temps drop Saturday. I think I heard 144 non consecutive hours of snow making will be requured for the race. I hope they let the public ski SS for a few days during snowmaking once a base is down.

That sounds more like it. 4 days to put down 4'+ but factor in an unfrozen ground, pushing, draining, etc, a lot more.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Has to be ready well before the race too for training no? Given what happened last year, I would assume they turn the guns on at any opportunity between now and then. Just start blowing whales and hope you don't lose too much

drjeff

They will be hammering SS when the temps drop Saturday. I think I heard 144 non consecutive hours of snow making will be requured for the race. I hope they let the public ski SS for a few days during snowmaking once a base is down.

Highly doubt the public gets to ski Superstar until a few days after the worldcup is over. You can bet that if the opportunity presents that they'll put down way more than 96hrs of snowmaking with hoses probably dragged out a bit, let alone the other set up items from TV cameras and cables to grandstands, to the actual snow prep and water injection -

My hunch is with the races ending on Nov 27th, it will be Nov 29 or 30 before the public rope drop on SS happens

dlague

Highly doubt the public gets to ski Superstar until a few days after the worldcup is over. You can bet that if the opportunity presents that they'll put down way more than 96hrs of snowmaking with hoses probably dragged out a bit, let alone the other set up items from TV cameras and cables to grandstands, to the actual snow prep and water injection -

My hunch is with the races ending on Nov 27th, it will be Nov 29 or 30 before the public rope drop on SS happens

Absolutely more than 96 hours - this is a big deal and they do not want to f it up!

And then, SS will be solid Ice! Sharpen your edges boys and girls!

Damn straight it will be - they are going blow down boilerplate the way they like it. In fact, I am sure there will be race staff that will be making sure it is hard.

Last edited:

danimals

They always open to everyone on North Ridge only! yes the have a pass holder day or weekend but every time I have gone I have always been there for the public and with only North Ridge open with one exception. The year of the Halloween storm, while only North Ridge was open, people were poaching runs to the bottom.

Still one of my best days on snow ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlague

Still one of my best days on snow ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that was prety awesome - ski patrol just looked the other way knowing that people were going t poach. It was one of my more memorable days too!

machski

If I had to guess it'll be a soft opening sometime Mon.

I looked at the temp profiles on Mount Washington, looks favorable for K today as I suspect the cold dove into VT better given the system that pulled through. With a half foot head start (IE, evenbif it is a bit wet and/or slushy, better than blowing on bare warmish ground), they probably make good progress today. Wouldn't doubt they announce the passholder open tomorrow later today. Tuesday seems likely for public.

benski

7pm operational announcement. Hope all K pass and xpress cardholder holders are on their way up tonight.

They got 5.5 inches. I have no doubt they will be open. I am more curious to see if great norther opens with just natural. Sugarbush would consider it enough.