• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2016-7: It's On!

yeggous

I'm shocked but then again, no big rush for K as SR really isn't a threat to steal it this year. Should make for really good conditions for both opening days.

I'm not surprised. Opening on one night of snowmaking is really borderline given the ground temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

benski

I'm not surprised. Opening on one night of snowmaking is really borderline given the ground temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

They started making snow before 1 today. I What will be open this weekend. I guess superstar top to bottom, rime and reason.

yeggous

No Superstar for sure. Rime and Reason and if the temps drop you might get upper East fall as well.

How busy would it be on Thursday? There is a small chance I could go, even though I swore never to return there when the stairs are required.

I'm holding out hope that someone else gets open for Thursday. Bretton Woods, Wildcat, and Sunday River are all outside shots this year. Sunday River has something to prove, but without the mid-station they are at an elevation disadvantage compared to the others.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
In an email to pass holders Killiington announced:
"After more than five inches of natural snow and several days of favorable snowmaking weather, Killington Resort plans to open for winter operations at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday, October 25, 2016. Day one is reserved exclusively for Season Pass and Express Card holders like you; no day tickets will be sold and no other ticket products will be valid. The ticket price for Express Card holders will be $25.

We expect to ski and snowboard on our Rime and Reason trails, with service from the North Ridge Triple chair. The K-Parks crew plans to have several features set up in the Reason Park as well. Access from K-1 Base Area will be via the K-1 Express Gondola, followed by a trip down the Peak Walkway. Remember to leave a little gas in the tank for day’s end—you’ll have to walk back up the Peak Walkway to download back to K-1 Base."

So it really is on. Some of my friends sent me photos from their day earning turns at MRG where they had a foot at the summit and 6" at the base.

steamboat1

This is a nice touch...:beer:

"They say there's no such thing as a free lunch, but that's not true for Killington Season Pass holders. Show your pass on opening day for lunch on us at the K-1 Cafeteria, the North Ridge Dog Sled, or the Peak Lodge. Complimentary coffee and hot chocolate will also be available throughout the day at the K-1 Cafeteria and Peak Lodge. Food options vary by location, please see on-site staff for menu options."

Gotta love The Beast.

steamboat1

If lunch is anything like pass holder appreciation day in the spring they feed you well. If I remember right they gave you a choice of either a regular burger, bison burger, vegi burger or chicken filet. Lettuce, tomato, pickle, regular salad or pasta salad plus a free beverage. Nice gesture on their part.

yeggous

None of you want to hear this, but Lucy is yanking the football away again tonight. Temperatures and humidity are creeping up. There a very subtle warm front lifting across the area. Snowmaking will not be very productive tonight if it even runs at all.

jimmywilson69

as of 6:45 AM guns still appear to be running at full speed in North Ridge. Obviously its hard to see production, but it appears that they ran through the night.

Smellytele

Still looks like they are a blowin'

attachment.php

Attachments

• k 10-24-16.jpg
    k 10-24-16.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 252

dlague

They must be mixing a lot of air in. Good for them! Killington has always been good about getting the stoke factor right up there.

machski

None of you want to hear this, but Lucy is yanking the football away again tonight. Temperatures and humidity are creeping up. There a very subtle warm front lifting across the area. Snowmaking will not be very productive tonight if it even runs at all.

For today, yes a bit. But tomorrow it dries and drops in temps. Tuesday night will be the coldest of the season to date. And I'm basing this on the Mount Washington observatory's high summits forecast.