• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2016-7: It's On!

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
It's on! Two of my Killington buddies skied Rime today and sent me photos. Don't know when they'll spin the lifts, but any claims to first runs of the eastern season are no longer available!

Smellytele

posted yesterday at 7:25
attachment.php

dlague

I assumed as much which is why I worded my posting carefully. I didn't say they were first. I said, "any claims to first runs of the eastern season are no longer available!"

Predictions anybody, when the lifts spin?

Hoping for a date in October, posted by Killington. Small window this weekend but followed by a warming trend. The next cold trendstarts again on Friday the 21st but can they make enough for Saturday - doubt it! Maybe a pass holder day on Sunday 23rd is possible with minimal open and hiking down and up the stairs. The real opportunity looks like the 29th with colder temps at night for a sustained period leading up to that day.

drjeff

Nothing against Silverton at all... Just saying though that in past years, their marketing crew has been called out for taking pictures at certain angles and distances that makes 6-10" of early season snow look more like 3-4 feet of powder.. The Silverton Fall camera shot may be the Western equivalent of the "Jay ruler" in the East ;-)

Los

i generally get my first turns on veterans day. ONE MONTH!

I hope you're right! I'm counting on Bretton woods being open by the Sunday before thanksgiving. Anything before that will be a huge bonus.

Not killington though - we experienced the early season north ridge madhouse last year for the first and last time. My then 8 yr old had 3 collisions and the line was absurdly, ridiculously long.

I'm really hoping lynx opens early, but that's based on my assumption that wildcat's early season crowds pale in comparison to the killington insanity. Is that a bad assumption to make?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

KustyTheKlown

i went on veterans day last year. they never scanned my max pass at the gondola. i took 4 runs on north ridge and then a transformer blew out and the lift conked out. eventually they got it up on a generator but only for the purpose of getting people to the walkway back to k1. at the bottom everyone got free anyday vouchers. i took it as a win. i also take it to mean that for those willing to hike, north ridge rides are free during the early season, because no one seems to be checking at the triple chair.

benski

i went on veterans day last year. they never scanned my max pass at the gondola. i took 4 runs on north ridge and then a transformer blew out and the lift conked out. eventually they got it up on a generator but only for the purpose of getting people to the walkway back to k1. at the bottom everyone got free anyday vouchers. i took it as a win. i also take it to mean that for those willing to hike, north ridge rides are free during the early season, because no one seems to be checking at the triple chair.

Nobody checks becouse your probably not supposed to hike up without a ticket.

yeggous

I hope you're right! I'm counting on Bretton woods being open by the Sunday before thanksgiving. Anything before that will be a huge bonus.

Not killington though - we experienced the early season north ridge madhouse last year for the first and last time. My then 8 yr old had 3 collisions and the line was absurdly, ridiculously long.

I'm really hoping lynx opens early, but that's based on my assumption that wildcat's early season crowds pale in comparison to the killington insanity. Is that a bad assumption to make?

Wildcat is generally quiet early season. By Thanksgiving things can get overcrowded relative to conditions if things get icy.

The biggest difference between Wildcat vs Killington or Bretton Woods is the difficulty of the trail. Lynx is a much more challenging trail than they offer early season. You will feel the burn to be sure. I've been able to ski BW or Killington all day on my first day out, but three runs at Wildcat and my legs are not having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wildcat is generally quiet early season.

Last year being the exception. It certainly wasn't overcrowded compared to what I've seen at K or SR over the years. However when they were the only game in the Valley, there were a couple of days where the amount of race teams on the hill made things a little cozy.

I agree with your assessment on the early season Lynx leg burn. I bought a cheap BW ticket for that purpose. Ideally I'd like to see them both open on the 5th and start my season at BW that day and move over to Wildcat on the 12th.

steamboat1

K has always been very lax with their scanning no matter the time of the season. Somedays I have to ask to be scanned. I'm sure quite a few people get over. It's not my money.

Los

Wildcat is generally quiet early season. By Thanksgiving things can get overcrowded relative to conditions if things get icy.

The biggest difference between Wildcat vs Killington or Bretton Woods is the difficulty of the trail. Lynx is a much more challenging trail than they offer early season. You will feel the burn to be sure. I've been able to ski BW or Killington all day on my first day out, but three runs at Wildcat and my legs are not having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Thanks for the tip!