Mad River Glenn over new years?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Mad River Glenn over new years?

Assuming there is snow of course....crowded? Seems like a reasonable choice to beat the crowds for a three day family trip...thoughts?

Mad River Glen is heavily dependent on natural snow. There may not be much open at that time.
    Snow!

Not sure if I consider MRG a "beat the crowds" place when they have good snow; especially on weekends/holidays. The trails are always uncrowded, but the lift and lodges lack capacity and are always pretty jammed in such conditions.

I'd look at Pico, Burke and Bolton as beat the crowds options in the scenario you hope for.

Good thoughts....thanks guys.

Was eyeing up a place for a couple of nights that could give us access to sugarbush and mrg. My thought was, if there was no snow, could head to SB and deal with crowds to have something to ski. If there is snow, mrg on the weekend days, SB on new years day....

Could use the same strategy with Pico and K-ton I suppose. Gosh, haven't been to Pico since I was in high school in the 80's. That would be fun.

Bolton is just about as dependent on snow as MRG and kind of slow to open terrain IMO too.

How far in advance do you have to pull the trigger?

Bolton traditionally is that way, but they've actually rented a bunch more capacity this year and plan on pushing terrain.

When you plan on pulling the trigger is very important though. Pretty early on in season you'll be able to see if Bolton is opening any quicker. However I'm not certain Pico will open went faster than BV.

Looks like I will need to commit within 30 days. So the Pico/K-ton or MRG/SB has some appeal as we would have a larger, snow making mountain nearby to use as a back up if we have a repeat of last year. Bolton is a little farther for us.

Quote Originally Posted by tnt1234 View Post
    Looks like I will need to commit within 30 days. So the Pico/K-ton or MRG/SB has some appeal as we would have a larger, snow making mountain nearby to use as a back up if we have a repeat of last year. Bolton is a little farther for us.
    Bolton is not much farther than SB, only around 45 minutes. If you want to avoid crowds but still want to be in the MRV / near Sugarbush then BV could be a great option. Can't go wrong with Pico and K though.

You would actually have three options if you decide on the Mad River Valley.

* Sugarbush Lincoln Peak area will likely be the most crowded but will also have the most terrain open if there is a lack of natural snow.

* Sugarbush Mt. Ellen area is kind of like what Pico is to Killington. Less crowded, more laid back but still offers big mountain skiing.

* Mad River Glen, sounds like the OP already knows the deal here.

Yes I consider Lincoln Peak & Mt. Ellen to be separate ski areas not just one named Sugarbush.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    You would actually have three options if you decide on the Mad River Valley.

* Sugarbush Lincoln Peak area will likely be the most crowded but will also have the most terrain open if there is a lack of natural snow.

* Sugarbush Mt. Ellen area is kind of like what Pico is to Killington. Less crowded, more laid back but still offers big mountain skiing.

* Mad River Glen, sounds like the OP already knows the deal here.

Yes I consider Lincoln Peak & Mt. Ellen to be separate ski areas not just one named Sugarbush.
    yeah, this makes a lot of sense.

Thread Information