The race for opening day is on

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63
  1. #1

    The race for opening day is on

    With A-basin and Loveland starting to make snow, when is our beloved New England mountains going to join the race? and open. Looks like Killington and Sunday River could have a window next Monday thru Wednesday. Who knows maybe we will have some early season turns on Rime or Airglow.
    Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 3.53.25 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 3.54.18 PM.jpg


  2. #2
    WWF-VT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    MA & Fayston, VT
    Posts
    2,444
    That's beyond optimistic....

  3. #3
    As much as I want this, it's too short a window without a change in the weather coming directly after. I'll still be dreaming though! I'm ready to call out sick and go skiing tomorrow if we got the call so I won't be caught off guard if by some miracle someone does open next week.

  4. #4
    catsup948's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    1,026
    Next week looks like it will have some cold nights. After that it looks warmer, hopefully this changes.
    Snow!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by catsup948 View Post
    Next week looks like it will have some cold nights. After that it looks warmer, hopefully this changes.
    Even if the warm up gets down to like 35 at night with <60% humidity, no rain forcasted, and an end to the warmer window in the long range forecast might be enough if K were ambitious... they do have the WC races in November coming up and opening in the middle of October might quiet some of the skeptics (haters) .

    Last year when K opened it was low 20s for a few days but there was a warm up to a few over 32 nights in the forecast but they went for it anyways if I recall correctly.

    I know I'm annoyingly optimistic... but what else is the fall for....

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Even if the warm up gets down to like 35 at night with <60% humidity, no rain forcasted, and an end to the warmer window in the long range forecast might be enough if K were ambitious... they do have the WC races in November coming up and opening in the middle of October might quiet some of the skeptics (haters) .

    Last year when K opened it was low 20s for a few days but there was a warm up to a few over 32 nights in the forecast but they went for it anyways if I recall correctly.

    I know I'm annoyingly optimistic... but what else is the fall for....
    Well they were closed on veterans day last year on Nov 11th. And it was raining.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Well they were closed on veterans day last year on Nov 11th. And it was raining.
    I remember a webcam photo where they literally lost all the snow on North Ridge haha. An October opening can have little to no bearing on what November brings and vice versa. Any opening to quiet skeptics would be completely based on perceptions and not reality but isn't that 3/4 of marketing anyways?

  8. #8
    If Killington can squeeze out a 12hr snowmaking window, they could probably open up Rime. For marketing purposes being the first in North America to open is a great marketing ploy, especially with the World cup coming up. Even if its for a few days.

  9. #9
    Could they really do Rime in 12 hours at pretty marginal temps? I was more under the impression that with marginal temps it was more like 36 or even 48 hours.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chelmsford, MA
    Posts
    2,152
    Bretton Woods can get open top to bottom Rangeview in 24 hours. They did a few years ago in October.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

    Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:14 PM.