• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Day Skiing/Snowboarding Thread

dlague

I thought it would be fun to hear about everyone's first day when it comes.

Today was my families first day and the earliest we ever skied. OCTOBER 23rd! We actually had a great day and conditions on the one run was no where near what I have often considered WROD. The trail was wide enough for the capacity of the quad, which was a 3.5 minute ride. They did a nice job grooming the run so there was a nice layer of snow to carve on. Warmed up in the afternoon and it was like spring skiing. Bumps formed albeit spread out but were fun to pop off of. This was not like your typical NE early season skiing IMO. We skied 9 runs and the lift line was always under 10 minutes often close to 5.

134 days between seasons.

Attachments

• 1477268119136.jpg
    1477268119136.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 302
  • 1477268135735.jpg
    1477268135735.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 301
  • 1477268156126.jpg
    1477268156126.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

dlague

how was the pickle drink?

Bacon Bloody Mary was really good. But I had an IPA! Deck was awesome too!

BTW as many of you know, it was not top to bottom. That lift goes part way up and the run was from there. I have to say nice to be skiing from the base so the lodge is near by. 750 feet of vert to ski.

dlague

Looks great out there! I love this time of the year to see people getting out! But have a great season and a few drinks for us!

Oh I will! Will miss some of the Azoners that we skied with! BTW the man made seems different here - not sure why.

Puck it

Day one at K today. Only skied a couple hours as visibility was terrible with wet guns and soaked outerwear. I also had a boot issue that cut into the skiing too. I think I fixed it tonight though.

dlague

Day one at K today. Only skied a couple hours as visibility was terrible with wet guns and soaked outerwear. I also had a boot issue that cut into the skiing too. I think I fixed it tonight though.

Was awesome to see. Looked like typical early season at K. Frosty looking skiers and snowboarders getting off the chair lift with guns blazing. We had a nice sunny spring skiing like day at A Basin.

Tin

Since this isn't TGR...
DSC_0348fix.jpg

Smellytele

K today. 20 something runs (yes short ones). They were blowing all day on the North ridge including east fall. they blew all day on Supa sta. Saw that they were blowing on the lower part of great northern near the bottom of mouse trap. Surprised that they were not blowing down from the gondola toward north ridge.

dlague

K today. 20 something runs (yes short ones). They were blowing all day on the North ridge including east fall. they blew all day on Supa sta. Saw that they were blowing on the lower part of great northern near the bottom of mouse trap. Surprised that they were not blowing down from the gondola toward north ridge.

Oddly enough I always enjoyed those first couple weekends on North Ridge - like a right of passage!

Jully

Oddly enough I always enjoyed those first couple weekends on North Ridge - like a right of passage!

Agreed. I think the whole experience is fun. If it lasts into late November then I get mad, but first few weeks I'm totally game.

Tin

10" of fresh stuff will wear down the legs quick. My first lift serviced October turns. Did break in my new boots and had no issues/pain. Ive been wearing them around the house nightly for about a month. Felt like a much better skier and more more stable when I landed off lips/waterbars. Could also really pick up and stomp the top of the bumps despite being on 110 waisted skis. Amazing the difference new boots make, I was on 10 year old boots I used in middle/high school.

jaybird

Poached at will yesterday.
Boots are fittin real good.

Beastly Day !