• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where would you live in ski country?

jimk

In VT I always liked the MRV area and would likely look in Waterbury.

We are still planning to move out to Whitefish, MT for retirement in a few years.

I want a place in town, walking distance to stores and restaurants and not a big property to take care of, nor a long driveway to plow. This holds true for anywhere I would move. I would rather put up with neighbors and noise than be isolated in the sticks. Been there, done that, don't need it. Sure it's nice to strap on some skis right outside your door, but when you are getting older and thinking ahead your priorities can change.

Whitefish is a really nice town and is 7 miles from the ski area with a free shuttle bus running back and forth. Also has a growing network of MTB trails and is not far from Glacier National Park and many lakes, rivers and wilderness areas. Cons: can get mighty cold there, often foggy mountain with not a ton of super challenging terrain, have to transfer to get there by air from most major cities. Plus: relaxed, friendly town with good food and music, still reasonably priced, close to 4 season outdoors activities, striking distance for trips to many national parks and ski areas. Flathead Valley is a beautiful part of the world.

I'll come visit. :flag:

As a retired guy who lives ski/on ski off, I've been averaging a bit over 100 days per season; about 80 to 90 at home area and about 20 to 30 elsewhere. Most everyone knows I am at Crotched Mt., but CM is within 2 hours of Sunapee, Mt. Snow, Okemo, Killington, Ragged, Gunstock and all of what was Ski-93.

BTW, I had a friend who had a ski-on/ski-off place at Bretton Woods and his season pass was at Jay Peak. Go figure!

You have the best of all worlds. Congrats. I've skied with a guy out west a couple times who has a ski-in place at Breckenridge, but prefers to ski Keystone all the time. :dontknow:

Last edited: