Where would you live in ski country?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Where would you live in ski country?

If you could live anywhere in New England ski country where would you choose? I'm from Boston and am always searching for paradise up north and even though I know it doesn't exist please indulge my fantasy. The ideal location would have great outdoor sports opportunities, affordable housing, friendly people etc. I know some of you wanna keep the massholes and the joeys out of your special place.....but they're not gonna read this post anyway.

I'm most familiar with North Conway but I've heard from people who've moved there that it's like high school-clicky and petty. I've heard great things about Chittenden county VT. Portland ME is good but it's far from the mountains. Central VT looks perfect but must be expensive. If you include New York in this, what is it like living in Lake Placid?
    I have always loved blizzards, if only because of the driving experience - which is definitely an acquired taste.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Taking affordable housing into account, somewhere along VT15 between Cambridge and Hardwick. Cambridge end if Smuggs is the plan for a home mountain. Morrisville area if Stowe is the home hill. More towards Hardwick if Jay/Burke is the plan

I would think if you don't mind having a 20-30 minute commute to some of the main players in VT, there are plenty of places with affordable housing. Just make it your primary residence, or you will be taxed to death...

It'd be awesome to Live in the MRV or Stowe, but I know there is nothing affordable directly in those areas.
    2018-2019

TBD

A Lake house in the Bridgeton Maine area. 4 season living, Shawnee Peak is right there and it's an easy drive to Sunday River and N Conway NH.

Littleton NH is supposed to be pretty nice too with Cannon right there and everything else the White Mtns have to offer.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Rangeley ME
    4 season paradise off the beaten track and Saddleback/Loaf/BMOM at your disposal
    2018-19
    Wildcat 11/10

2017-2018 Days: 51
    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

How much is there to do in those VT places? Especially concerning restaurants. I'm not too familiar with those areas of VT.

I know in NH Conway and Lincoln have good places to eat, any others considered up and coming ski towns? I'm sad to say I've only driven through Littleton.

Quote Originally Posted by xwhaler View Post
    Rangeley ME
    4 season paradise off the beaten track and Saddleback/Loaf/BMOM at your disposal
    I was about to mention Rangely! If Saddleback reopens and is sustainable... it's also a hike and a half to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    It'd be awesome to Live in the MRV or Stowe, but I know there is nothing affordable directly in those areas.
    I think it depends what you're looking for and what you consider affordable. If I compare the MRV to NJ, MRV looks quite affordable!

The upper valley (Lebanon, Hanover, etc.) - although not exactly ski country - is a great spot. You have reasonable access to everything in VT, and there is a solid economy where you can find good jobs. I'm originally from that area, and I'd love to be back there.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Waterbury or Burlington if New England. But $$$

Thread Information