• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2016-2017 Resort Opening Dates

Jully

With K opening in an hour for the season the next big question is who will open next? We have Wildcat and Sunday River both making snow. I don't remember the last time SR wasn't one of the first two open in the northeast, but they are handicapped this year.

Additionally just saw this from Bretton Woods on Facebook!

Assistant Director of Ski Operations Alexa Bernotavicz tests the goods laid down overnight by our award-winning snowmaking team. Ski season will be here before you know it!

IMG_20161025_105321.jpg

xwhaler

If BW wants this wknd they should get it with relative ease I'd think
Next tier up after them would be SR, Cat, Loon, Okemo I'd guess

yeggous

The Cat is not going for this week. They're going to focus on burying Upper Lynx and wait for the next window to move lower.

BW may just go for it. Being New Hampshire's only lift serviced golf course gives them a leg up. They've been the first top to bottom in October before.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Los

The Cat is not going for this week. They're going to focus on burying Upper Lynx and wait for the next window to move lower.

BW may just go for it. Being New Hampshire's only lift serviced golf course gives them a leg up. They've been the first top to bottom in October before.

Wow. I never considered it a possibility that Bretton would open this early. If they do open this weekend, do you think it would be foolish to expect that it will be less of a madhouse than what I presume today and tomorrow will be like at killington??

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jully

Yeah I didn't think Wildcat was going for this week, I'm guessing SR isn't either.

Smellytele

Wow. I never considered it a possibility that Bretton would open this early. If they do open this weekend, do you think it would be foolish to expect that it will be less of a madhouse than what I presume today and tomorrow will be like at killington??

Yes it would be much less of a mad house. Different client base for sure.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If Sunday River doesn't open, which appears to be the case, BW will likely be a fair bit busier than prior years, but definitely not as busy Killington. Rangeview is a pretty wide trail. If they can cover most of it, there's room for a lot of skiers. The HSQ servicing it will absorb most of the crowds.

Smellytele

K when it opens midweek isn't unbearable either. The big rush comes this weekend...

Hoping it isn't too bad tomorrow. Looking at the webcam only a few people have skied by but rime may be seeing more of the traffic. With the guns blazing it is hard to see much

Smellytele

If Sunday River doesn't open, which appears to be the case, BW will likely be a fair bit busier than prior years, but definitely not as busy Killington. Rangeview is a pretty wide trail. If they can cover most of it, there's room for a lot of skiers. The HSQ servicing it will absorb most of the crowds.

Couple times I skied early there, there tends not to be great cover on some edges under the chair.

machski

I'd say Sunday River a bit of a long shot but this afternoon's report isn't closing the door on the possibility. Given MWO'S autoroad temp data at 1600' right now is about 35 degrees, I'd say both BW and SR will be long shots. Depends how cold and dry it gets the next several nights.

yeggous

I'd say Sunday River a bit of a long shot but this afternoon's report isn't closing the door on the possibility. Given MWO'S autoroad temp data at 1600' right now is about 35 degrees, I'd say both BW and SR will be long shots. Depends how cold and dry it gets the next several nights.

I expect we'll know by noon tomorrow if SR or BW will open on Thursday. Given the wet weather to follow that will likely be their shot. If they don't have solid production tonight then we're SOL.

Los

even if BW does manage to open, it's supposed to be warm and rainy this weekend...

yeggous

even if BW does manage to open, it's supposed to be warm and rainy this weekend...

Yes I don't have big expectations for this weekend. I'm focused on my option(s) for tomorrow. I plan to come down with a cold.

Jully

Yes I don't have big expectations for this weekend. I'm focused on my option(s) for tomorrow. I plan to come down with a cold.

Jealous! I can't get out until next Monday at the earliest. As long as K is open, I won't be complaining though.

Los

You know that I'm taking that as a Yeggous guarantee that Bretton will open tomorrow, right?

Seriously though, they updated their snow report at 11 and don't seem to hint at an imminent opening... That's my read anyway...

yeggous

You know that I'm taking that as a Yeggous guarantee that Bretton will open tomorrow, right?

Seriously though, they updated their snow report at 11 and don't seem to hint at an imminent opening... That's my read anyway...

Yeah, I think the situation is not looking promising for SR and BW tomorrow. Without boots on the ground giving us a status report it's hard to be sure. I'm thinking about taking a closer look at Friday's forecast. If I think it'll rain on Friday at K-Mart, then I'll go tomorrow. Otherwise I may (or may not) hold off until Friday. Soul searching time.

Los

Soul searching time.

Godspeed brother!

I just hate getting teased. And so do my kids! I guess I probably shouldn't have told them there's a chance... doh....

Jully

Even though Bretton's report doesn't hint at an opening, they've opened with little to no notice previously. My guess would be that they themselves don't even know! Stinks that there is no webcam. We have no idea as to how much snow they've made or even when they started making snow! Just a picture yesterday on Twitter/Facebook showing a half decent amount made up top.