• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

small suv good in snow

skidder

In forgot to mention...
Ground clearance is a big factor that goes a long way to explaining all those test results and rankings. The Subarus and larger SUVs have a higher clearance. I made sure the Santa Fe had a bit higher clearance than the Forester when I have shopping. Clearance does not make a big difference on slick it snow-packed pavement but matters a lot of unplowed driveways.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Interested to hear the ground clearance comparison. Didn't realize Subaru was that good. Is it a better clearance than Pilot or CRV?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Brad J

I guess my 2016 Mustang GT will not be accepted in this discussion , but my 2005 mustang with 4 snow tires has made it to Wildcat in the worst storms. I grew up in the 60's and 70's where we had 2 wheel drives cars , studded snow tires and we always made it fine. you just need to be cautious and drive appropriate speeds. so Look for me at Wildcat during a big storm. The mustang is Black and its always the only one!!

cdskier

I guess my 2016 Mustang GT will not be accepted in this discussion , but my 2005 mustang with 4 snow tires has made it to Wildcat in the worst storms. I grew up in the 60's and 70's where we had 2 wheel drives cars , studded snow tires and we always made it fine. you just need to be cautious and drive appropriate speeds. so Look for me at Wildcat during a big storm. The mustang is Black and its always the only one!!

Hah...my dad always talks about how he used to drive up to VT when he was young in his Datsun 240Z to go skiing!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
ground clearance

Interested to hear the ground clearance comparison. Didn't realize Subaru was that good. Is it a better clearance than Pilot or CRV?

yes!

2016 models:

Forester 8.7
santa fe 7.4
rogue 7.4
Cherokee 8.7
renegade 6.7
Audi a6 4.6
cx5 8.5
outlander 8.5
tuscon 6.4
tiguan 7.9
pilot 7.3
crv 6.7

corrected date , added pilot and crv

Last edited:

skidder

yes!

1996 models:

Forester 8.7
santa fe 7.4
rogue 7.4
Cherokee 8.7
renegade 6.7
Audi a6 4.6
cx5 8.5
outlander 8.5
tuscon 6.4
tiguan 7.9

Great. That is good to know. Appreciate it.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm.with.you.that.snow.tires.trump.all."as.long.as.you.drive.on.paved.roads.

BenedictGomez

I feel your pain. Out of nowhere 2 weeks ago my beloved 2002 4x4 GMC Envoy developed a bad power-steering leak that my mechanic advised me to not bother repairing given the vehicle age & cost of repairs.

R.I.P.

Decided on a 2013 AWD GMC Acadia, which I've had for a week now.

Picked it due to the AWD and beefy 4,800 lbs (I love heavy vehicles in snow) and a few other reasons. Need to get a set of wheels and snow tires for it, it takes 19" all-seasons, so I'm thinking either 17" or 18" snow tires. This will be my first vehicle where I have to buy tires with those stupid *** tire sensors in them, but I'm going to do it because I'll be danged if I'm going to have to pay someone to change my tires each winter.

Hawkshot99

I feel your pain. Out of nowhere 2 weeks ago my beloved 2002 4x4 GMC Envoy developed a bad power-steering leak that my mechanic advised me to not bother repairing given the vehicle age & cost of repairs.

R.I.P.

Picked it due to the AWD and beefy 4,800 lbs (I love heavy vehicles in snow) and a few other reasons. Need to get a set of wheels and snow tires for it, it takes 19" all-seasons, so I'm thinking either 17" or 18" snow tires. This will be my first vehicle where I have to buy tires with those stupid *** tire sensors in them, but I'm going to do it because I'll be danged if I'm going to have to pay someone to change my tires each winter.

If-your-inspection-is-due-in-the-summer-you-can-just-ignore-the-light-saying-low-pressure-in-the-winter,and-skip-the-moniters.Just-make-sure-summer-tires/rims-on-when-inspection.

cdskier

Picked it due to the AWD and beefy 4,800 lbs (I love heavy vehicles in snow) and a few other reasons. Need to get a set of wheels and snow tires for it, it takes 19" all-seasons, so I'm thinking either 17" or 18" snow tires. This will be my first vehicle where I have to buy tires with those stupid *** tire sensors in them, but I'm going to do it because I'll be danged if I'm going to have to pay someone to change my tires each winter. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

I hope your luck with the Acadia is better than my dad's with the Traverse. His had to have been a few years older than yours though, so maybe they worked out the kinks on that platform. He was a Chevy/GM guy for years and was severely disappointed in the Traverse. I'm a Chevy guy too and didn't care for the Traverse at all.

As for the tire sensors, why do you not like them? I've had them for almost 10 years now and can't imagine going back to not having them. I just need to always remind my mechanic to relearn the sensors after swapping between my summer and winter tires. Takes him about 60 seconds with the programming tool. To do it manually without the tool is a pain as you have to either increase or decrease the pressure in each tire by a few PSI within a set amount of time on my truck when it is in sensor learning mode.

cdskier

If-your-inspection-is-due-in-the-summer-you-can-just-ignore-the-light-saying-low-pressure-in-the-winter,and-skip-the-moniters.Just-make-sure-summer-tires/rims-on-when-inspection.

That would drive me nuts...I can't stand when any warning light comes on. I'll take sensors in each set of tires any day over having to ignore the warning for the entire winter.

dlague

If you are using the same rims then I would imagine the pressure would be about the same so you should be fine. If you use winter rims then have the tired mounted without the vehicle and put the tires on yourself. Then ignore the dash light. The air pressure sensors in my truck were always getting out of sync.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

wa-loaf

New ride for you?

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Need to sell back the TDi in the next year. Would love to get the Alltrack 6 speed. Family is pushing me to get a 3 row suv/minvan however. Will probably wait till Spring, like the looks of the Mazda CX9 and it's supposed to have a sporty drive and VW Atlas may be an option then too. Or I'll just listen to the kids fight on all our drives in the car I want ...

deadheadskier

Staff member
The new CX9 is a really sweet looking ride for sure. If I were in the market for a 3 row, it would for sure be near the top of my list.

I still can't believe the Golf All Track is going to be available with AWD and MT. Pretty awesome alternative to the MT Forester.