• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

sugarloaf thread

skiMEbike

It officially kicks off on Thursday 11/24 with SQuad & Tote, but I would not be surprised if Kings is ready too.....Bring it on!!

Plusbrians

I booked here for NYE weekend. My only criteria was a place I haven't been to in 10+ years, which basically made my choices Stowe, Stratton, or Sugarloaf. Stowe had a6 night minimum, Stratton was way more $, so the loaf it is.

Looks like alot has changed! Any tips? Will have the family along, but my oldest and I ski together while the wife slows down with the younger ones. What's good for Apres as well?

Thanks!

bigbog

....What's good for Apres as well?

Tufulio's(down on the main road @the Valley Crossing, over Lionel's Happy Tunes ​shop) has always been a dinner goto.
Lunch:
Shipyard has a little lunch menu(checkout online).
I remember having a pizza in Gepetto's a few+ seasons ago, has good. Gepettos has been redone...a quick & easy walk into for lunch...fwiw.

Last edited:

skiMEbike

I booked here for NYE weekend. My only criteria was a place I haven't been to in 10+ years, which basically made my choices Stowe, Stratton, or Sugarloaf. Stowe had a6 night minimum, Stratton was way more $, so the loaf it is.

Looks like alot has changed! Any tips? Will have the family along, but my oldest and I ski together while the wife slows down with the younger ones. What's good for Apres as well?

Thanks!

The Loaf is pushing to get all Lifts up & running for vacation week....As of now the only lifts not ready are Timberline & King Pine. This will help with disbursing the crowds & Lift lines. Word is Timberline should be ready by this weekend & King Pine will be ready sometime Mid week. The place was (mostly) WFO this past Saturday from Spillway crosscut & below, however Sundays r@!# and freeze closed off the natural trails....However another 6-10 inches of snow will get them right back WFO as the base is solid. If you want glades you will be able to sneak in some, but need to be cautious especially if you want to go to Bracket....Requires a lot more snow to cover up things over there. I can't imagine any glades will be officially open unless we get some significant snow. Superquad will have the worst lines, so avoid that lift if possible.

All bus routes start/end at the base lodge (which is out the back door of your hotel)...Sugarlofexplorer.com has all the details of the times/routes. Within walking distance you have The Bag, Gepetto's and Widowmaker in the village....Bag & Gepettos will be more family oriented while the Widowmaker is more Rated 'R'....Shipyard is another great restaurant & bar that is family oriented as well, however I would not call it "walking distance". The Rack is one of the more popular spots which opens at 4:00 pm, and generally attracts a good crowd. I'd classify the Rack is nice family sport too, but as the night lingers generally you get Live entertainment & a bit more rowdy. Enjoy your stay !!

Skimaine

Here are my suggestions:

With storm hitting Thursday into Friday, I expect nearly every trail except front face summit trails and backside will be open. They will likely leave a few un-groomed as well. Certainly a possibility the glades will open including Bracket Basin.

For you and your oldest, the SuperQuad offers intermediate and advanced terrain but can be crowded, Skyline (new since you were last there) serves the center mountain and is the workhorse that covers a lot of terrain and avoids the run-out to the bottom and finally KingPine offers primarily advanced terrain.

Family terrain starts below the lodge on the Birches and magic carpet (never skied terrain). Next up is Board Walk, the Landing and Lower Winters Way. This is beginner’s terrain right in front of the lodge served by the Double Runner Chairs and Skidway (learning terrain). Whiffletree (detachable quad) is the next progression offering low intermediate trails.

Tips:

Hit Bullwinkle’s for lunch if the younger group can handle the intermediate terrain that they will need to navigate to get down. The sit down restaurant in the back is very good. Get there early or late as it will be pack during prime time.

Get your lift tickets at the Hotel the night before or when you check in if they do not automatically provide them. This will avoid ticket window lines.

I am going to humbly disagree with an earlier poster and suggest Widowmaker for après ski. They have a band at 3:30, a few video games and pool table (used by kids 90% of the time). There is an upstairs area that provide some refuge from the crowds is needed. Kids are welcome and often end-up tearing up the dance floor. This is the measure of a good après band.

You must hit the Urban Sugar Café in the base lodge for mini-doughnuts.

There is a Family New Years Eve in the base lodge at 7:30.

If the family is looking for something different to do, consider a trip down to the SugarBowl. This is a new facility with bowling, video games, food and drink. This is not your typical dingy bowling alley. Good pub food, good beer selection and lots of TV’s.

Do not miss the fireworks on New Year Eve. The ‘Loaf does a great job (not too long and always a solid finish).

katie0406

Hi All,

Driving up from Boston to Sugarloaf, are there any good places on the way to stop for lunch/snack?

Thanks!

skiMEbike

Just came off 3 days at the Loaf..Surprisingly skiing was much better than I was anticipating considering last weeks thaw & freeze cycle. The Loaf didn't get any rain on Thursday, however the temps were in the 40s on that day. Temps have since been hovering in the single digit to teens, so needless to say any woods, natural trails, or ungroomed is frozen solid. The base is solid & deep right now, so any storm of significance will quickly open the woods back up, along with the natural trails and frontside extentions...Gondi extension is already open & they should be opening up Nitro from the top once they run the groomer over it.

For those attending the Summit, I wanted to let everyone know that the Loaf is having it's Fat Bike festival in case people want to partake in the activities....I haven't personally participated in the past year's event, however I am hearing it should be much improved compared to the prior years event....specifically the course has been moved from Boardwalk trail down to the Outdoor Center nordic/snowshoe trails. Here's the link in case you want to check it out: http://sugarloaf.com/activities-and-nightlife/events/fat-tire-fest-x2518

Matt DeCoste

The Rack is always a good choice...Widowmaker as well. Nothing beats the beach when that gets going.

SkiMom80

Heading to Sugarloaf in a few weeks and looking to get a sense for trail difficulty. We've been there quite a few times, but stuck mostly blue/easier black runs with the kids. They are better skiers now. If you were to order the blacks by level of difficulty, starting with easiest and going to the hardest, what would that look like? Also, what makes the double blacks double blacks (if that makes sense)? Mogels? Pitch? Trees?

Thanks so much!

Jully

Heading to Sugarloaf in a few weeks and looking to get a sense for trail difficulty. We've been there quite a few times, but stuck mostly blue/easier black runs with the kids. They are better skiers now. If you were to order the blacks by level of difficulty, starting with easiest and going to the hardest, what would that look like? Also, what makes the double blacks double blacks (if that makes sense)? Mogels? Pitch? Trees?

Thanks so much!

At SL, the double blacks are that way because they are one of the following: really narrow (Misery Whip), bump filled and steep (Bubblecuffer, Ripsaw), or have a very steep headwall (U. Gondiline, U. Nitro). Easiest double black IMO on the mountain is Skidder if it is groomed (its often bumped up). Good thing about any double black on the mountain, minus the snowfields, is that you can see from the top of the trail most what you're getting into. There's no surprises.

As for blacks, the main blacks on the mountain are all pretty similar. The ones I consider a main black are all fairly long and I'm not counting ungroomed (assuming your kids aren't looking for bump runs).

I can't really differentiate between them on a trail by trail basis, but I'd consider Haul Back, Widowmaker, and Spillway on the easier side and Comp Hill, Narrow Gauge, and Hayburner all slightly more difficult. Narrow Gauge specifically only has one steep section, the rest is equivalent to the first three I mentioned.

All the groomed single blacks are quite similar IMO though, these differences are pretty minute. I'd start on Spillway entering from the Superquad (the headwall just above that entrance is a bit steeper). If you handle that fine, you're pretty much good for any other groomed black on the mountain IMO.