• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

sugarloaf thread

Jully

If you're looking for bumped up runs, check out Slasher (blue) if its bumped up or Choker (black) for good starters.

skiMEbike

Heading to Sugarloaf in a few weeks and looking to get a sense for trail difficulty. We've been there quite a few times, but stuck mostly blue/easier black runs with the kids. They are better skiers now. If you were to order the blacks by level of difficulty, starting with easiest and going to the hardest, what would that look like? Also, what makes the double blacks double blacks (if that makes sense)? Mogels? Pitch? Trees?

Thanks so much!

What makes a “black” vs a “double black”….The answer is “Yes”….All or some of those factors can contribute to the rating….My general opinion is glades are harder to ski than trails, because they have bumps & they have trees. Typically, a double black glade will be steeper than a single black. Keeping glades out of my rankings & keeping the various parts (upper, lower, extensions) out. This would be my list of easiest to hardest with the trails' typical characteristics:

Hayburner (groomed)
Binder (groomed, narrow, natural),
Wedge (groomed)
Spillway (typically 2/3 groomed)
Haulback (typically 2/3 groomed)
Comp Hill (groomed)
Widowmaker (groomed)
Narrow Gauge (groomed )
Flume (groomed steep)
Double bitter (natural, bumps not steep)
Boomauger (natural, top half of trail bumps bottom groomed)
Chocker (bumps)
Ripsaw (bumps, natural)
Gondi Line (groomed steep)
White Nitro (groomed steep)
Sheerboom (bumps, natural, narrow)
Winters Way (bumps natural)
Skidder (bumps, steep)
Powder Keg (bumps, natural, steep)
Bubblecuffer (bumps natural steep)
Misery Whip (bumps natural narrow)

I think that’s all of them….Generally speaking the harder sections of the mountain are found between King Pine & Skyline lifts above the Mid station crosscut trail with the trails getting much steeper the higher up you go. Most extensions on the face are super steep, and typically only Gondi & Nitro are groomed. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Have fun

skiMEbike

Just wanted to put out a quick report (2nd hand info...unfortunately for me) for AZ summit goers. The Loaf received about 8 inches from the storm a couple days ago. It was a very heavy/wet snow, and a bit of sleet. Unfortunately yesterdays warm up & the plummet in temps has frozen everything up today, the mountain opened up today to groomed terrain only. It has been snowing all day up there but accumulations are in the 2-4 inch range. I expect some glades/ungroomed will open back up after today's storm & things will only get better with snow coming Saturday. It won't take much snow to get everything open again, as the base is DEEP right now.

If you can extend your stay into Monday (or better yet Tuesday)...DO IT !! The storm coming Sunday into Monday looks very promising. It won't take much more to get everything Wide F'n Open !!

A couple models/reports on the next storm(s):

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sugarloaf/6day/top

http://www.sugarloaf.com/keith/articles/february-9

dlague

Just wanted to put out a quick report (2nd hand info...unfortunately for me) for AZ summit goers. The Loaf received about 8 inches from the storm a couple days ago. It was a very heavy/wet snow, and a bit of sleet. Unfortunately yesterdays warm up & the plummet in temps has frozen everything up today, the mountain opened up today to groomed terrain only. It has been snowing all day up there but accumulations are in the 2-4 inch range. I expect some glades/ungroomed will open back up after today's storm & things will only get better with snow coming Saturday. It won't take much snow to get everything open again, as the base is DEEP right now.

If you can extend your stay into Monday (or better yet Tuesday)...DO IT !! The storm coming Sunday into Monday looks very promising. It won't take much more to get everything Wide F'n Open !!

A couple models/reports on the next storm(s):

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sugarloaf/6day/top

http://www.sugarloaf.com/keith/articles/february-9

Too bad! By New England standards Sugarloaf is large, but a significant section is trees. That being said, there are lots and lots of trials that get groomed. Hopefully some bumps will be in play for the summit. Wishing everyone the best!

Bassil

Did that storm hit the loaf at all?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

Bassil

Hopefully at least a little..

skiMEbike

Coming off 5 days at the Loaf....The mountain survived the Sunday "warm up". Top 1/3 of the mountain is still skiing very well (not sure temps ever really got above freezing at the summit). Backside has ample amounts of snow & for the most part is packed powder conditions. Off-piste skiing still very enjoyable especially on trails with decent traffic & higher up on the mountain. A few pics for your viewing pleasure:

SL WWay.jpg
SL Summit.jpg
WWay 2.jpg
SL Brocolli.jpg
SL BBLcuffer.jpg

Last edited:

tnt1234

Heading somewhere the weekend of 3/4.

You think Brackets had enough snow to survive this weekend?

skiMEbike

Heading somewhere the weekend of 3/4.

You think Brackets had enough snow to survive this weekend?

Definitely enough snow....The base is just insane right now. The real question will be whether or not things freeze up.... I did get into Brackett yesterday....Stuff that was tracked up skied fairly good (Cant Dog), however venturing deeper into Brackett (further skiers' right) was not very good. A lot less traffic & frozen. As I said earlier, stuff up high seemed to be ok, but as you got lower things were set up more. This will all change with the warm up coming over the next few days. My recommendation get there while temps are more spring like....just not sure if it will be enough to soften everything up. If it is warm enough & things soften up, there's more than enough snow for an early corn harvest.

ExtremeRyan

Burnt mountain is closed, do you think the snow coming next week will be enough to open It back up

skiMEbike

Coming off 5 days at the Loaf...Still Buried!! First couple of days was mostly groomers only. The 4 inches of snow Friday into Saturday changed everything, and the whole mountain was back in play. Over the course of the 5 days managed to ski most glades & every trail that was open (plus a few that weren't 8). The back side was open with good snow (a rare treat for April)....The whole mountain is skiing great !! With another 5-10 inches overnight they are shaping up well for Reggae & beyond....Get it while the gettin is good.

Not many photos, but here are a couple:
SL Sluice.jpg
SL Backside.jpg