Crotched Mtn. 2016-17 - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Sun.- Jan. 8, 2017
    With a massive snowmaking push today, I found conditions very variable, going from soft fluffy machine made to very icy downhill sides of whales where one or two of the fan guns were putting out mostly water.

I was told that the problem with the Rocket involved ice build-up on the haul-rope. Nothing serious and a fairly common issue with detachables.

I was @ Crotched today - too good to pass up a kids-pay-their-age day.

The delay in Rocket opening was a bit frustrating, as it threw everyone on the slow fixed grip that seemed to stop every minute. Meteor was in good shape & we lapped it for a bit, but then racers took it over.

Once the Rocket opened UFO /Equinox skied nice for a while. Guns were blazing everywhere- & yes the tell-tale sign of too much water, our goggles froze over.

Once was enough for Jupiters Storm after lunch - total ice sheet.

Lapped Plutos a few times, was actually nice later in the day with the snow guns on them.

Glad I went to Crotched today, given the price. Will go again next month, hopefully some glades will be in play & the trails will be tidied up.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua segal View Post
    Sun.- Jan. 8, 2017
    With a massive snowmaking push today, I found conditions very variable, going from soft fluffy machine made to very icy downhill sides of whales where one or two of the fan guns were putting out mostly water.

I was told that the problem with the Rocket involved ice build-up on the haul-rope. Nothing serious and a fairly common issue with detachables.
    My son who works there confirmed to ice/haul rope issue. Glad to hear the they are taking safety seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoDevil97 View Post

Glad I went to Crotched today, given the price. Will go again next month, hopefully some glades will be in play & the trails will be tidied up.
    Actually, if you weren't on your best skis, Final Frontier and all its chutes and sub-glades skied nicely as did Solstice Glade (both the trail and the glade).

Paging @Joshua for current outlook for Crotched. Thinking of getting some turns in Sunday due to delay of Steelers vs Chiefs (now @ 8:20 due to ice storm). How did it survive rain & high temps? Hopefully ok with all the snow blown last wkend.

I'll be there in the morning and give a heads up what to expect for Sunday

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Wednesday night when things cooled down it was very firm, although Galaxy had some nice snow. After yesterday's rain and warmed, and the quick freeze tonight, I can't imagine skiing until 3am tonight/tomorrow. Hopefully the pond filled up more yesterday, as it was still low on Wed. The high traffic areas will need a refresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Quietman View Post
    Wednesday night when things cooled down it was very firm, although Galaxy had some nice snow. After yesterday's rain and warmed, and the quick freeze tonight, I can't imagine skiing until 3am tonight/tomorrow. Hopefully the pond filled up more yesterday, as it was still low on Wed. The high traffic areas will need a refresh.
    When I got home from the AlpineZone beer league I discovered a long, nasty gouge in my new race skis. I was not happy. On the plus side I discovered a new technique for base repair. Use a ptex candle, lightly scrape with a steel scraper, and flatten with a steel rotobrush. Works surprisingly well.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

Quote Originally Posted by Quietman View Post
    Today (Fri, Jan. 13) was difficult. Tuesday's rain was no problem, but Wednesday and Thursday's fog were. With today's dropping temps, the grooming was pretty ineffective.

The good news: The pond looked about 3/4 full and it's already down to 25 degrees. Expect a snowmaking bonanza to begin soon and with the weekend forecast, it should be a good weekend.

Sadly, the woods are almost bare, so the glades will be starting from scratch again.

There seems to be a good crowd for Midnight Madness tonight based on the quantity of cars in the parking lot, but the slopes looked pretty empty.

Hopefully CM refreshes as much as they can. Next week looks quite warm again. Next Wed night looks like a repeat of the previous two ARL nights. Sharpen those edges boys!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
    2018-19
    Wildcat 11/10

2017-2018 Days: 51
    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47