Crotched Mtn. 2016-17 - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post
    Who is going this weekend? I may go tomorrow. And am considering Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.
    I'm here every day. Black parka, black pants, no helmet, mustache, knit hat.

i was there also last night!!!! Bulletproof kept us on our toes!!!! Rocketfuel was just what was needed for some liquid courage!!!!

Ill be over either Saturday or Sunday.

Will be there tomorrow trying to get my ski legs...

Quote Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
    This is what peak does, get the trails open! They need to let the snow dry out before grooming it.
    Well it rained too!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Further to my earlier report, ufo skied great in the afternoon, tried one run down soltice, it was skiable but needs a few more inches to make it enjoyable, same story with frontier.

In total crotched was in much better shape today than cannon on wednesday.

Will be back out there tomorrow morning around 10, big guy in a blue north face skiing with my elderly father, if history is any indicator we will be in the bar around noon.

Does crotched have any long term plan to add water? Either pond expansion or another source? Have to assume they are still paying for the hsq but just curious if there have ever been discussions?

One more - have they ever seeded any bumps? The steep part of Jupiter's looks perfect for seeding.
    The true happiness of a man can be found in the mastery of his passions.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
    Further to my earlier report, ufo skied great in the afternoon, tried one run down soltice, it was skiable but needs a few more inches to make it enjoyable, same story with frontier.

In total crotched was in much better shape today than cannon on wednesday.

Will be back out there tomorrow morning around 10, big guy in a blue north face skiing with my elderly father, if history is any indicator we will be in the bar around noon.

Does crotched have any long term plan to add water? Either pond expansion or another source? Have to assume they are still paying for the hsq but just curious if there have ever been discussions?

One more - have they ever seeded any bumps? The steep part of Jupiter's looks perfect for seeding.
    I don't know about "seeding" but they'll let bumps develop under the chair on Pluto's and the left half of UFO.

I'll be in a red / black jacket, black pants, orange helmet. I too will surely find the bar.
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

The solution is to designate Jupiter's Storm as a bump run and treat it exactly as Pat's Peak does with Hurricane. Blow it open and groom out an initial base and then leave it alone for the rest of the season. Flip the fan guns on and let people ski some bumps in. When they get icy, don't groom it. Just turn the guns on again and refresh it.

Pat's has shown over the years to be able to offer decent moguls most of the season on Hurricane. Sometimes they're icy, often irregular and lacking consistent lines, but very respectable overall for a small feeder type hill.

The fact that Crotched hasn't been able to do the same to at least offer something for advanced skiers to enjoy when the trees aren't skiing well is quite simply operational incompetence. All they need to do is model exactly what Pat's does. It would require a fraction of the effort and expense that Crotched puts into terrain parks.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    The solution is to designate Jupiter's Storm as a bump run and treat it exactly as Pat's Peak does with Hurricane. Blow it open and groom out an initial base and then leave it alone for the rest of the season. Flip the fan guns on and let people ski some bumps in. When they get icy, don't groom it. Just turn the guns on again and refresh it.

Pat's has shown over the years to be able to offer decent moguls most of the season on Hurricane. Sometimes they're icy, often irregular and lacking consistent lines, but very respectable overall for a small feeder type hill.

The fact that Crotched hasn't been able to do the same to at least offer something for advanced skiers to enjoy when the trees aren't skiing well is quite simply operational incompetence. All they need to do is model exactly what Pat's does. It would require a fraction of the effort and expense that Crotched puts into terrain parks.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    I forgot about that run. That would be enough to get me to go there for a night.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

Disclaimer: Please note that I live at Crotched Mountain and I hear a lot of good information. I teach skiing here, but none of my comments represent Crotched Mtn. management. My comments only are my own observations and opinions.

xwhaler asks, "When do they start blowing on Pluto's?"
    A quick look at the snowmaking pond will show that in the short term, water is in short supply. The only runs of any substance that aren't open are Comet Drop, Big Dipper and Pluto's. So my guess is that as soon as water supplies rejuvenate themselves, Pluto's will be next.

thebigo said, "Further to my earlier report, ufo skied great in the afternoon, tried one run down solstice, it was skiable but needs a few more inches to make it enjoyable, same story with frontier."

I tried Solstice Glade Trail too and I thought it was awful; but Solstice Glade Glade wasn't great but I thought it was better.

thebigo said, "In total crotched was in much better shape today than cannon on wednesday."

No surprise here. Since Sunday, Crotched has made a lot of snow (they emptied an almost full pond) and they did some excellent grooming. I've heard people time-and-time again come to Crotched and say, I was at XXX yesterday and can't believe how much better your conditions are.

thebigo asks, "Does crotched have any long term plan to add water? Either pond expansion or another source? Have to assume they are still paying for the hsq but just curious if there have ever been discussions?"

It has been a subject of discussion. Clearly, the horrendous 2015-16 season didn't leave much money for anything but required maintenance. If new water supplies become a reality, I suspect we are talking at least 5-years down the road.

thebigo asks, "One more - have they ever seeded any bumps? The steep part of Jupiter's looks perfect for seeding."

This is my 10th season at CM and only once did they try seeding bumps. They were on skier's right going down Magnitude.

Bumps/moguls are an annual management decision. Last year, the snow was not deep enough and management felt the trough would break through to ground. As a result, they did not let moguls build up on UFO and the only moguls were under the Rocket on Pluto's.

Two years ago, they let all of the following bump up: Jupiter, UFO and under the Rocket on Pluto's

I'm guessing they will leave bumps on the left (west) side of UFO and under the Rocket on Pluto's, but I don't know that for sure.

Thread Information