• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched Mtn. 2016-17

snoseek

Im one of a dozen at most. Come get it while its here! Couple weeks left if things dont change.

SnoDevil97

1. CM has removed the non-fixed snowguns from the hill. Snow making is over.
2. Moguls were plowed under last week. Snow was breaking through to dirt. As much as I hated losing them, it was the right thing.
3. Unless there is significant fresh snow courtesy of mother nature, the following are done for the season:
- Jupiter Storm, Blastoff, Retro, Comet Drop (above where Shooting Star crosses it) and anything with the name "glade" in it.
4. The quality of the skiing especially in the AM, really depends on the groomer. Yesterday was excellent

So, if you want cruising and no lines, CM is still the place.

Joshua - per today's snow report snowmaking is back on. Change of heart??

http://www.crotchedmtn.com/snow-report/

Quietman

After being there last night, they really need to blow in the base area for there tele event this weekend. It will be interesting what else they blow as coverage on open trails is generally good. Some trail widths are getting narrower, and Super Nova and the learning hill are getting thin.

This is good news though as they have never made snow this late. Rumor is that they are going 9-7 next week.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
After being there last night, they really need to blow in the base area for there tele event this weekend. It will be interesting what else they blow as coverage on open trails is generally good. Some trail widths are getting narrower, and Super Nova and the learning hill are getting thin.

This is good news though as they have never made snow this late. Rumor is that they are going 9-7 next week.
It's getting harder to state things based on logic! IMO, they need a lot of snow at the top of both Velocity and Super Nova. However, that's on a separate zone and logic would suggest that those won't get the love.

If all CM wanted was to get through the tele event, the base area should be OK. There is enough snow in the whale to the east of Valley and in the "gallery viewing area" set up for last week's block-party that an be moved around.

The two options off the top, Satellite Summit and Moon Walk can always use snowmaking help. Magnitude, Meteor and Plutos all can use help, but your guess is as good as mine as to what they'll do and where they'll do it!

Last edited:

Quietman

From the web site:

snowmaking will resume tonight to freshen up the mountain on Sat Summit, Pluto's Plunge, Meteor, Moonwalk and the base areas.

I'm thinking that we won't see any whales, but I'm still glad that they are making an effort.

Savemeasammy

From the web site:

snowmaking will resume tonight to freshen up the mountain on Sat Summit, Pluto's Plunge, Meteor, Moonwalk and the base areas.

I'm thinking that we won't see any whales, but I'm still glad that they are making an effort.

Yes, the base could use it for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thebigo

From the web site:

For those of us skiing with kids, disappointed supernova was not on the list, there was one spot getting narrow and several boney this week. Likely wanted to use the fixed fan guns only. Hope they at least run valley for the weekend, moonwalk gets rough for kids on weekend afternoons.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
For those of us skiing with kids, disappointed supernova was not on the list, there was one spot getting narrow and several boney this week. Likely wanted to use the fixed fan guns only. Hope they at least run valley for the weekend, moonwalk gets rough for kids on weekend afternoons.

With the Valley Chair running on the weekend, that provides access to Galaxy without dealing with Moonwalk. Just be sure that the kids are alerted to the exit ramp steepness (if they are used to the West Double exit ramp.

Bostonian

Just got back from a few hours on being out on the snow this afternoon/evening. Have to hand it to crotched for blowing snow on Meteor. It skied really nice as the lights were coming on. I basically lapped Meteor and Pluto's - but the cold and the wind once the sun went down just did it in for me. Happy to have gotten a few runs and a few drinks at pub.

Lights!

17203156_10154410677847963_4694775984829201613_n.jpg

Full Moon Fever!
17264628_10154410678357963_5360578925506129724_n.jpg

Satellite to Meteor:
17202889_10154410499597963_4415737597331243579_n.jpg

Setting Sun:
17202884_10154410499632963_2575277462548768959_n.jpg

Jully

At Crotched today. It was pretty excellent (no one went in Solstice Glade) but Rocket shut down around 2:30, West lift had some problems and shut around 3:30 and Valley closed around 4.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
At Crotched today. It was pretty excellent (no one went in Solstice Glade) but Rocket shut down around 2:30, West lift had some problems and shut around 3:30 and Valley closed around 4.
I assure you that both Solstice Glade Trail and Solstice Glade Glade were skied today. The Glade skied better than the Trail. I spent most of the run picking up branches that were blocking various lines. Both should be fine tomorrow.

Jully

I assure you that both Solstice Glade Trail and Solstice Glade Glade were skied today. The Glade skied better than the Trail. I spent most of the run picking up branches that were blocking various lines. Both should be fine tomorrow.

Haha what I meant was that I was in there and didn't see many other tracks.

Shame they closed, but it was pretty bad at the summit. Heard they were worried West might have had a small deropement. People were stuck on it for 45 minutes.

Quietman

Skied 3 hours tonight and the difference between last Thurs and tonight was amazing. Trails are back to full width with soft snow everywhere. I could tell that they pumped out a fair amount of snow last weekend before this week's storm. The sunset was especially nice. Also really nice to park 20' from the rocket and put the skis on at the back of the car almost every night.

Quietman

Crotched was great today!!! Sun came out, nice soft snow, bumps forming, skied Darkstar(little rough) and Solstice glade-the real glade(really nice) and poached Jupiter's Storm a bunch(just look out for the rocks). Generally little or no liftlines. Wanted to keep skiing when they closed at 5, almost no one there at that point.

xwhaler

Crotched was great today!!! Sun came out, nice soft snow, bumps forming, skied Darkstar(little rough) and Solstice glade-the real glade(really nice) and poached Jupiter's Storm a bunch(just look out for the rocks). Generally little or no liftlines. Wanted to keep skiing when they closed at 5, almost no one there at that point.
Nice! On my radar for next wknd to pick up next yrs season passes for the family.
Seems they are going to try and stay open for 2 more wknds if possible.

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quietman

Crotched will be open until 7pm tomorrow and will be closed mid-week next week. They say that they will try for the 1st and 2nd, conditions permitting.

xwhaler

Crotched will be open until 7pm tomorrow and will be closed mid-week next week. They say that they will try for the 1st and 2nd, conditions permitting.
Makes sense they would close mid week given the cool, rainy forecast most of next week.
Will be there with my son tomorrow doing some skiing and picking up our 17-18 passes!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app