• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched Mtn. 2016-17

Savemeasammy

We didn't get much in the way of shots looking down the run, which gives a much better idea of how the bumps were, but here is DHS showing us how much fun they were today!

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1487890770.025657.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Feb. 24, 2017 - Fri.
The skiing remains excellent, despite the incredibly warm weather.

For those who check the Snow Report before coming, the published snow report has a number of errors.

1. Jupiter is labelled "Partial Groom". It's half-moguls.
2. Magnitude is labelled "partial groom". They full-groomed it yesterday, but that being said, the moguls never really developed and the groom probably protected the cover on that side of the trail.
3. Kuiper Belt is unskiable
4. Dark Star is still OK, but there are a few spots where you have to pick your way down. The T-Bar line is still skiable, but a few significant bare spots have emerged.
5. Solstice Glade Trail is mostly that super icy surface that develops before the last melt-out. Solstice Glade Glade is mostly skiable with a few thin spots at the bottom that need extra care.
6. Final Frontier and most of its cuts and chutes are still OK.
7. The other glades (not on the trail map) I would not recommend. While the entrance to the west ledges looks OK, it gets ugly as soon as you turn the corners.
8. Moguls on UFO/Equinox are superb.
9. East side of Pluto's has a nice mogul line.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Great synopsis of the conditions. I would add that the main problem with (7) the off map glades is not so much the thin spots, which there are plenty, but the snow quality. Due to such a short usable season for these areas, there really isn't a packed down base to corn up. It's really manky snow that you sink on into making turning without using a jump turn really difficult. It just sucks you in. At least that was our experience yesterday skiing Popcorn

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Great synopsis of the conditions. I would add that the main problem with (7) the off map glades is not so much the thin spots, which there are plenty, but the snow quality. Due to such a short usable season for these areas, there really isn't a packed down base to corn up. It's really manky snow that you sink on into making turning without using a jump turn really difficult. It just sucks you in. At least that was our experience yesterday skiing Popcorn
You were braver than I was. I took the much shorter Hellyons and which I thought would have held up better than Popcorn. When I looked down Uranus, I decided that "discretion was the better part of valor" and I proceeded down Milkyway.

Your comment on quality of snow in the off-map glades" is good. I also found a problem of rotting in areas that hadn't been packed down by traffic.

snoseek

I got first tracks on the 920 groom tonight. Wicked soft. Massive snow melt. We ain't done yet though.

Savemeasammy

I got first tracks on the 920 groom tonight. Wicked soft. Massive snow melt. We ain't done yet though.

Maybe we get an early start to Mt bike season down south while skiing lasts into May up north? That'd be ok!

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Feb. 25, 2017 - Sat.
Given the weather + the forecast, be aware that CM will be closing at 5PM today.

BTW, the season is by no means over and the current plan is to make snow on Sunday night.

Last edited:

Jully

Feb. 25, 2017 - Sat.
Given the weather + the forecast, be aware that CM will be closing at 5PM today.

BTW, the season is by no means over and the current plan is to make snow on Sunday night.

Woo! Glad to see Peaks okay with making snow! Very encouraging.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good to hear. From what I saw this morning, snowmaking will be needed to patch things together if they want to extend the season much beyond next weekend. The meltdown progression from Tuesday to Thursday to today was quite cruel.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

Bumps last night were some of the finest around. Bare patches growing. Yaaay snow

SnoDevil97

Any update on conditions prior to this week's warm-up/rain & re-freeze - that looks like a carbon copy of last week?
Will CM plan to blow snow again Thur-Sat? Eyeing a visit this Sat/Sun (3/11 or 3/12).

prsboogie

Was there yesterday. Groomers were fast and a little slick in spots but had a good day.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1488891434.641369.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1488891449.829006.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1488891465.773661.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1488891490.608823.jpg

elks

Any update on conditions prior to this week's warm-up/rain & re-freeze - that looks like a carbon copy of last week?
Will CM plan to blow snow again Thur-Sat? Eyeing a visit this Sat/Sun (3/11 or 3/12).

This past Sunday was scrapped off and bulletproof. Jupiters, Retro and Blast Off are done. The water level in the pond is high so hoping they will take advantage of it. They will lose more trails quickly otherwise.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
1. CM has removed the non-fixed snowguns from the hill. Snow making is over.
2. Moguls were plowed under last week. Snow was breaking through to dirt. As much as I hated losing them, it was the right thing.
3. Unless there is significant fresh snow courtesy of mother nature, the following are done for the season:
- Jupiter Storm, Blastoff, Retro, Comet Drop (above where Shooting Star crosses it) and anything with the name "glade" in it.
4. The quality of the skiing especially in the AM, really depends on the groomer. Yesterday was excellent

So, if you want cruising and no lines, CM is still the place.

SnoDevil97

Appreciate the honest feedback, Joshua. Would've liked to see one more batch of snowmaking effort, but I respect their business decision.

xwhaler

Any idea when CM typically stops night skiing ops for the season?
Do they maintain a normal schedule right up until the end?

Last scheduled event is 3/19 so I wonder if CM goes beyond then (even wknds only)
Guess it probably depends on snowpack. Last yr I remember them being really aggressive and opening a final wknd by really patching things together, was a nice effort on their part.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
This is my 10th season at CM. Over those years we've been open as late as the second weekend in April. Most seasons, we're daily thru the 3rd weekend of March and weekends for one or two weeks afterwards.

Given the snowpack, I think we're safe for the 3rd weekend, but there are serious questions beyond that.