Crotched Mtn. 2016-17

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Crotched Mtn. 2016-17

Sat., Nov. 26, 2016
    I returned to ski country yesterday after a 2.5 week absence.

Wachusett opened and they have similar weather and less fire-power than we have! I wondered: Why aren't we open?

At any rate, I put on my boots and hiked Super Nova to Milky Way and finally Moon Walk to the top. Cover on Moonwalk was excellent from the summit right to the top of the Valley Chair. From the top of the Valley Chair, I headed down Meteor. It was well covered and the few thin spots cold have been filled in from some of the large whales.

At the junction with Galaxy, I walked back up Galaxy including Cosmic Blast. It too was well covered and skied nicely. The lower part of Meteor had lots of snow, but the water bars weren't filled in and the "chicken heads" were more like stalagmites.

So now I understand. CM's management made an economic decision not to open. I suspect CM has as much (or more) snow than Wachusett has. If CM had opened management could have called it 4-runs!

Mine were not the first tracks on the hill, but as far as I know, this is the first trip report on it.

Pics Joshua! Pictures please!

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Pics Joshua! Pictures please!
    Sorry about that. Photos just aren't my thing.

Joshua, looks like I missed you by an hour or so. I am probably a little less positive about the coverage, especially down low. I'm thinking that they need another 12-24 hours to cover the bottom and the water bars, but maybe Joshua is right and they might have enough to spread around. Still looking much better at this time than last year!

crotch1.JPG
    From the base

crotch1.1.JPG
    From the top, main pond is full, secondary is 70% +/-

crotch1.2.JPG
    Moon Walk

crotch1.3.JPG
    Galaxy

crotch1.4.JPG
    Galaxy
    Last edited by Quietman; Nov 26, 2016 at 4:10 PM.

crotch1.5.JPG
    Upper Meteor

crotch1.6.JPG
    Upper Moon Walk

Quote Originally Posted by Quietman View Post
    Joshua, looks like I missed you by an hour or so. I am probably a little less positive about the coverage, especially down low. I'm thinking that they need another 12-24 hours to cover the bottom and the water bars, but maybe Joshua is right and they might have enough to spread around. Still looking much better at this time than last year!
    Sorry I missed you! No doubt another 12-24 hrs. of SM would help (and it would also be enough time to open Satellite Summit which just had a short bare spot).

You may be right, but IMO, there were some gigantic whales that could easily have covered all of the thin spots, although there would have been a relatively narrow lane through a few waterbars.

From the web cam it looks like the cover took a hit this week. Web site is saying the 10th for a target date for opening. Sunday and Monday nights are looking good for making some snow!!

It took a bad hit. Today, there were still many deep whales, but with large bare spots between. The skiing is still nominally continuous from the top to the lift line (Pluto's) and there is probably 300 or so feet of continuous vertical on Meteor. The bottom area is pretty much washed out.

The plan according to their FB page is to open on Dec. 10.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua segal View Post
    Sat., Nov. 26, 2016
    Wachusett opened and they have similar weather and less fire-power than we have! I wondered: Why aren't we open?
    Not anymore. Wachuset doubled their snowmaking capacity this summer. They can now pump 8000 gpm for 110 acres, or 72.7gpm/acre. Crotched is 6000 gpm for 100 acres, or 60.0 gpm/acre.

Hiked up the hill today for the sunset and ski down and got a bonus as they had just finished grooming Moonwalk and Galaxy. Fresh corduroy was a nice surprise. Up top the cover is good, down low they need make more before they open. Not sure if they can get upper Meteor ready for Saturday, good luck to them!

Thread Information